What's new
What's new

WANTED - Large (2.5"+) Drill Grinder near Syracuse NY - Sterling or similar..

wanispissd

Plastic
Looking for a drill grinder that can sharpen large drills, and is the swing type (does not use collets). A Sterling would be ideal, but let me know what you might have. OK if its not 100% working ... I have grinders that I can adapt an attachment to, bit don't have an attachment. Thanks!

I have an oilver 510 does up to 3".
The paint is peeling all over it, I bought i years ago,
fired it up, and didn't doo much with it.

IIRC it may need "timed"

I am in Erie, Pa.

$800

if you have a surface grinder this guy sells a fixture
A.K. Tooling Co. – End Mill Sharpening Fixture, Universal

grinds any size drill bit you can get in a 5c collet
along with endmills, reamers, etc

Very cool device.
Good to ask if doing one=ups for yourself or sharpening for customers. Sellers is a good machine because you don’t need collets. Jaws can be had for large and small drills, but will work with standard jaws for most sizes. Buying any older grinder be sure wheels are still in the catalogs.
Some sharpeners you stand there to finish and some you set and walk away to do another task.
Often one can go to you tube and watch a device in operation.
I had planned to manufacture a simple surface grinder device but never got it in production.

Very cool device.
Good to ask if doing one=ups for yourself or sharpening for customers. Sellers is a good machine because you don’t need collets. Jaws can be had for large and small drills, but will work with standard jaws for most sizes. Buying any older grinder be sure wheels are still in the catalogs.
Some sharpeners you stand there to finish and some you set and walk away to do another task.
Often one can go to you tube and watch a device in operation.
I had planned to manufacture a simple surface grinder device but never got it in production.
Uhm...Yeah.

1 question.
How are you gonna stuff a 2.50 dia drill thru said 5-c collet ?

Olivers are much the same with having closing jaws so not needing a big set of collects.

I have used drills and reamers to make home made collects for sharpeners...that can save some bucks but often not as accurate as a closing collect.

Drills vary at OD with cut off length so home made collects can be off ,002/.005 or so

I have an oilver 510 does up to 3".
The paint is peeling all over it, I bought i years ago,
fired it up, and didn't doo much with it.

IIRC it may need "timed"

I am in Erie, Pa.

$800
That's a very fair price. I've got the same model and if I'm not mistaken, I sharpened a 3 5/16" drill on it. Timing is a piece of cake if you have the manual, which is still available from Oliver. Once you get the hang of it, you'll like it.

That's a very fair price. I've got the same model and if I'm not mistaken, I sharpened a 3 5/16" drill on it. Timing is a piece of cake if you have the manual, which is still available from Oliver. Once you get the hang of it, you'll like it.

I used to run the model 600 frequently and yes, they are nice.

no i haven't. largest one i have is 1 7/8 with a 3/4 shank

you must be VERY old

NO, I have a radial drill capable of handling 3" dia. drills, so I have
a supply upto and including 3".

Adjustable reamers to 3 1/2" if that matters.

You think a 2 1/2" drill is available with a 3/4" shank ?

2.5" twist drill and 5C don't go together.

Someday I would like to own a large drill sharpener as well. I can hand sharpen pretty OK, but sometimes you really want that nice, centered, freecutting point for a job and that is hard to do on a 2"+ bit by hand.

The machines appreciate it when the drill has a nice free cutting point too. Sometimes I run twist drills in larger CNC lathes and the Z thrust gets pretty wild if a drill isn't quite right.

i guess you didn't comprehend :-)

NO you don't comprehend.

The OP was specific, using "Numbers" that they needed 2 1/2" dia. capability.

Your suggested device was not comprehending any of it.

Let the OP post whether or not their drill shanks can fit in a 5-c collet, and
if they have a surface grinder available.

And then you can tell us, all about how your gonna take that "baseball bat" of
a 2 1/2" dia. drill bit, hanging off the end of a 5-c collet, and touch it to a grinding wheel,
with out having it bounce all over the place.

Maybe I used too many technical dimensions & terms for you ?

How's that for "comprehension" ?

Hi Doug,

Your Oliver 510 might be just what I am looking for; could you please PM some photos?

5C is definitely not going to work; those max out 1 1/16" (at least mine do). Aside from size, I am looking for something that does not use collets so that I can sharpen a range of sizes.

FYI .... Planning on pushing these drills with a cincinnati gilbert radial arm drill... maybe 8000 lbs. :)

Thanks all.

NO you don't comprehend.

The OP was specific, using "Numbers" that they needed 2 1/2" dia. capability.

Your suggested device was not comprehending any of it.

Let the OP post whether or not their drill shanks can fit in a 5-c collet, and
if they have a surface grinder available.

And then you can tell us, all about how your gonna take that "baseball bat" of
a 2 1/2" dia. drill bit, hanging off the end of a 5-c collet, and touch it to a grinding wheel,
with out having it bounce all over the place.

Maybe I used too many technical dimensions & terms for you ?

How's that for "comprehension" ?

no, you still don't catch on
you must be VERY old

Back