What's new
What's new

wanted. Sip jig borer and lathe with 12' centre located in Uk

pressbrake1

Stainless
Hello I would like to purchase a Sip or sip type(twin column) jig bore preferably with tooling in working condition.
Secondly I need a lathe of 12' centres min 10" centre height.
Id prefer metric/imp screwcutting and a heavy machine like a langA4
Location UK or Europe
Id rather avoid dealers as im not to interested in paying a premium for new paint and fake scraping

Hello I would like to purchase a Sip or sip type(twin column) jig bore preferably with tooling in working condition.
Secondly I need a lathe of 12' centres min 10" centre height.
Id prefer metric/imp screwcutting and a heavy machine like a langA4
Location UK or Europe
Id rather avoid dealers as im not to interested in paying a premium for new paint and fake scraping

You may have to relocate to the Midlands?

In Essex, the "civils" might limit you to full-sized, full-colour photos and the expectation you will sell only the "perception" of big hairy, dirty, machinery. Sans sound effects and smells, of course.

:D

The lathe isn't so hard. The SIP's we've seen mentioned here have been left handed side of the USA, mostly. Not even close to the Eastern Seaboard ports.

In Essex before the destruction of industrial areas for the damn olympics and mass housing for a artificial growth in population and a couple of recessions.
Three machine tool manufacturers one of which I worked at
Fords research centre
Fords Dagenham
Fords Tractor
Fords radiator
British Aerospace
Marconi avionics
Env
Plesseys.
Just to name a few. Some survive just, most are gone.
My fathers firm had a monster craven. Theres still a company making airbus wing spars on the biggest three plano mills (milacron) ive ever seen.

Certainly no birmingham or ohio but not as hopeless as you would have thought.

Worse than hopeless now its a overflow for london:nutter::bawling:

Worse than hopeless now its a overflow for london:nutter::bawling:

I had an uphill slog getting my New York based Vee Pees to understand why they had become but one of several BRANCH offices when converting Cable & Wireless (NY) to Cable & Wireless, Americas.

London <==> Manhattan in their world-view, and nothing goes on of import outside of any given nation's most important city. yah?

Wrong.

The USA has always been more decentralized than that.

Mind... that means we have urban sprawl into suburbia EVERYWHERE.. just check the google maps satellite view of the US.

Or China. Or India and the other "BRICS". Or the EU.

Not Russia, of course. Hollowing-out rapidly on their route back to the "Golden Hoard" dominance Muscovy was novated with ,"Prince" Nevsky's era.

Their problem is not that modern China wants more of the RF. Far the greater problem that they do NOT!

:)

The SIP's we've seen mentioned here have been left handed side of the USA, mostly. Not even close to the Eastern Seaboard ports.

- Not always true. Not a real SIP but SIP-ish (2nd owner too) and only a few hours to the Eastern Seaboard ports. Might have even considered selling when it came time to move it last week. Apologies to the OP, didn't mean to hijack your inquiry. If a genuine Sip cannot be found the Mitsui-Seiki could be considered as a substitute. There seem to be more of them available here in the US than the Swiss original.

SAM_0147.jpg

Attachments

• Card-Photo.JPG
    Card-Photo.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
- Not always true. Not a real SIP but SIP-ish (2nd owner) and close enough to the Eastern Seaboard ports. Might have considered selling when it came time to move it.

View attachment 235982

LOL! "mostly" is a fair out vs "always true", and nooo a Mitsui ain't a SIP Genevoise!

Continental Europe is rail or even air-ride truck connected to Blighty.

That'd make more sense to me than sea-fright outta Port of Baltimore or such ennyway.

:)

I saw a beautiful Metric SIP go for well under $1K at an auction about 5 years ago in Upstate NY. I had no idea what I was looking at at the time, having just started hobby metalworking. It was purchased by a couple of Mennonite machinists, so I'm pretty sure it's still making chips somewhere.

It was only a suggestion as a "substitute" if it fit the tolerances for the work he was doing. Wasn't suggesting he ship over water either, only commenting that they're more plentiful over here. Geez Bill, slow down.

It has gone through my head to visit the states to buy some bits.
Thing is its a big place and I do not know geological iron hot spots so to speak , transcontinental shipping port locations etc.
I would also need a friendly base camp as a hotel wouldn't be much use for getting machines ready.
Id need a few bits to make it viable

It was only a suggestion as a "substitute" if it fit the tolerances for the work he was doing. Wasn't suggesting he ship over water either, only commenting that they're more plentiful over here. Geez Bill, slow down.

I don't know WHY he wants SIP. Nor care.

Odds are, he knew as well as anyone what the alternatives were before he made that "challenging" of a choice. "In a manner of speaking", the brand can still be found on newly-made CNC cells under their new owners, BTW:

History

Other folk besides the OP are still proud of them:

High precision machining unit | Erre Enne srl

"slow down?"

WTF Johnny-jump-up? A Mitsui a continent away, that you don't WANT to ship nor even WANT to sell is relevant "just how"?

I've got C.E. Johansson / Dearborn gage goods that will go clear out to 90 inches, stacked, were I dumb enough to trust meself with that sort of optimistic foolishness.

Be about as relevant as a box of polished marbles and an angle-iron trough to suggest those and me old Walker-Turner means there was never a need for SIP Genevoise to leave the University labs.

:D

- Not always true. Not a real SIP but SIP-ish (2nd owner too) and only a few hours to the Eastern Seaboard ports. Might have even considered selling when it came time to move it last week. Apologies to the OP, didn't mean to hijack your inquiry. If a genuine Sip cannot be found the Mitsui-Seiki could be considered as a substitute. There seem to be more of them available here in the US than the Swiss original.

View attachment 235982

still a fine machine. When I say sip I mean any make of jig bore of the twin column family.

I should clarify with the lathe im not fussy on make as long as its not a stretched wheelbase job like a colchester or poop like a bin and berry it and centre height is 10" min prefer 14" plus.
Oil country would be a big bonus but I know they are far to expensive in the uk.
European machine stocks are minimal and at premium price. I have a pal in Latvia looking for me , to of no avail

What size Jig Borer are you looking for? Sip built there twin column machines from a 3K with a 16 x 18 inch table up to the 8P with a 40 x 60 inch table and a vertical and horizontal spindles. Other manufactures built comparable sizes.

Oh and most importantly how much are you willing to spend?

I would like to replace one charming peg making traveller folk stole. Cant remember number but it was around four tons in weight

What is a charming peg making traveller folk stole?

And again how much do yo want to spend.If you expect to get something for nothing your just wasting our time.

What is a charming peg making traveller folk stole?

And again how much do yo want to spend.If you expect to get something for nothing your just wasting our time.

Gypsy's pulled my sip jig borer through the back wall of a barn and weighed it in for scrap.
Not time wasting as your 4000miles away. If someone from the UK contacts me then we can discuss money based on location condition etc , I cannot be the buyer and the seller. I will say Im not interested in paying premium to a dealer for one

Back