What's new
What's new

Wanted: "Tabletop" CNC Milling Machine

Orin

Plastic
I'm looking for a tabletop milling machine like the Benchman or similar within 500 or so miles of Greensboro, NC. Don't have a boat load of money to spend (I'm retired) so no, I can't afford a Haas Office Mill - :D

This will be a hobby mill - not for production..

Anyone have one for sale or suggestions as to what I might look for?

Thanks in advance for any leads.

Orin

How much travel do you need? I have 2 Dyna-Mite 2400's (not for sale) that move 6.2 X 5 X 4 inches, but the machine weighs almost 300 pounds. They have 1/2 horse power motors, and will turn a 3/8 end mill full width, .075 deep. I make all kinds of parts on them. I have them set up in my garage, and on some jobs, I can make up to about $60.00 per hour.

The machines don't move very fast (30 IPM rapids) so you have to carefully plan every move and there is no tool changer so you have to choose your cutter path to be as efficient as possible.

You don't need a big machine to have fun.

Last edited:
You're going to have to spend a lot of money for a bench top CNC with that amount of travel. If space isn't an issue, I'd look for a knee type CNC mill.

A Defiance VT-1 (??) might fit your needs. They don't come up very often. Mine is not for sale. It is enclosed. Some have a toolchanger. I paid $2K for mine, about 6 months back. Another one with the toolchanger went for $5K. The Dyna-Myte ones are good. The 4400 is more a small Bridgeport sized machine with tollchanger. I'd expect $4K-$5K for one. Denford makes/made one in the larger table top class. They are rare, though. There was one for sale on E-Bay with toolchanger for about $5.5K last year.
Tom
I looked at some specs, x-12 inches of travel, y -8 inches of travel and z- 9 inches of travel. I might have a line on a few of them. Also, the one I have can use Tormach tooling. I think others I have seen use BT-30. I have seen 10K spindles and 45K spindles. They were mainly used for graphfite electrodes.

I don't know what your budget is, but I'm going to buy a Tormach in the next month or two. They have travels of 18 X 9.5 X 16.5, and you can get a brand new one for under $11,000. They have a new one that's a little amaller that has a 10,000 RPM spindle.

I've seen a couple of them run, and for what that are, I was quite impressed.

75sv1 - Sounds as if the Defiance may be a real option - Not as much X as I would like but we cannot always have everything we want - :D

I sent you a PM regarding the ones you have found for sale..

Steve - I'd love to be up there on the 2nd floor with you shopping for the Tormach but being retired and looking for a "hobby" mill then I guess I need to stay down in the bargain basement..... ;)

Orin

Knee mill for CNC core?

Orin,

I might have a machine that would work well for you. This would probably make an excellent core for a CNC conversion. A Brideport kit could probably be adapted.

I have a Gorton O-16A Unimill. A picture is attached with me standing next to it for scale, but think of it as a 2/3 scale "diet" Bridgeport J-head. It weighs about 1,600 lbs. The spindle already runs in the range of 350-5000 rpm’s, and the head swivels, nods and has both micrometer and lever down feed. The work envelop for the controls is 16” in X axis, 10.5” in Y axis, and 3” in Z axis down feed. Vertical table feed is 14.5". The ram adjustment range is 9.75”, the throat from spindle center to column is 11.25-21”, and the max distance from the spindle to the table is 17.25”. The table surface is 9x24”. The motor is a newer single phase 3/4hp Leeson currently running on 115v supply, but it can easily be switched to 220v if needed.

The work envelop you're looking for in a bench top model will require a strong bench/base that will take up as much space as the column on this Gorton. Give me a call if you think that it is something you can use. I have the setup and operation manuals, a full set of collets, and I’ll throw in some cutters, an import vise and some hold down clamps for $2,600. I’m in West Bloomfield, Michigan (25miles NW of Detroit) and you are welcome to visit and run the machine first.

Bob Farr
(313) 673-6679

Gorton5.jpg

Millmove7.jpg

Back