What's new
What's new

Wanted: used VMC

Jesse_92683

Plastic
Hello, I have been using a tormach for about a year now and I want to updrade to an actual VMC. The only problem is my budget. I live in Utah and the used machinery market sucks here. I assume I will have to buy a haas or Fadal. I don’t want to go too old but I know I can’t get “just a few years old”.

Does anyone have advice where I should buy from?

Try posting a rough budget. There are plenty of machines for sale. The question is do you have the money? For less than $5k you can have a real machine shipped in from anywhere.

My budget is $20k. I’m hopping I can get it a state or two over so the shipping and rigging cost can stay as low as possible. Right now I’m looking at a 2002 Fadal 4020 on eBay that they are asking 16k for

You don't mention how much experience you have with knowing if a used machine is good or not. I'd suggest you look for a good used dealer, you will pay a bit more, but I think you'll get a little bit more of a guarantee behind your purchase. Not a huge warranty, but just like a car, if you buy from an individual, it's whatever you get, from a used lot, they usually at least guarantee it works when it leaves the shop and you can see it under power.

Power, space and floor integrity would be what I would think about most. I was looking into a Doosan in my garage, but have determined I'd be better off with a smaller drill/tap machine for my application and especially in my garage.

SLC does look like a pretty dull market on craigslist, usually dealers advertise there, so I'd probably look at driving to Vegas or somewhere to meet a dealer if I was you.

Fadal

Hello, I have been using a tormach for about a year now and I want to updrade to an actual VMC. The only problem is my budget. I live in Utah and the used machinery market sucks here. I assume I will have to buy a haas or Fadal. I don’t want to go too old but I know I can’t get “just a few years old”.

Does anyone have advice where I should buy from?

Hello,
are you still interested in buying a VMC? if so contact me on sharigoz64(at)gmail.com I have something for you.

I’m moving into my shop next week but the previous owner says it is wired with a 100 amp sub box with single phase. I know I’ll have to get a rotary phase converter.

I’m a younger (5-6 years or real experience) engineer. I know to look for obvious wear and was going to check any used machine I buy for lost motion in all 3 axis. Besides that, I don’t really know what to check for. My new garage is 2000 ft2 so space is not that big of a deal and the concrete is significantly thick enough that I’m not worried about that. I am a little concerned that power might be an issue for more than 1 machine but I think the 100 amp sub panel should be okay for now

I have 2 Brother S2D for sale but a little higher than your budget. I'm asking $33k each
14 tools
10k rpm
Blum Z nano probe
Can run on 30 amp breaker no problem
Compact Floor space
Big memory for 3d programs

Back