What's new
What's new

Wanted: Vertical Mill, and Lathe

OldParts

Aluminum
By the time I figure out shipping arrangements, it seems I always miss a good buy on Craigslist or Ebay, so I thought worth trying Wanted instead.

I'd load on a low trailer, but more than about 5hrs from Sioux Falls, SD would be LTL - I know that places a little more burden on securing &/or palletizing anything loose as well as any tooling.

Both pieces don't need to come from the same place, but on the odd chance they do there should be some shipping savings that could help the purchase price.

Budget for the pair with typical (I know typical is rather open ended!) tooling, and phase conversion (I have 120/240single) if required: $4000 making chips. No I'm not insane, maybe nuts :crazy: certainly a little frugal. Becoming daddy this summer, so wife said "buy tools now, just try to keep cost reasonable - like those Craigslist deals you keep finding halfway across the country." :)

Mill:
Bridgeport; I know the name can cost a little, and not 100% set on that name, but do want parts availability, and will not pay for an import BP knock-off (I've used them, just won't pay for one) or poor quality.
R8; I certainly wouldn't mind a more solid option, but it would likely make included tooling even more important.
J head, power quill. Belt speed or variable, but don't want a variable that needs repair.
DRO nice, but not required.
42" or larger table would be best.
Powered axis nice, but not required.
Doesn't need to be pretty, but do want mechanically solid, and smooth even travel - budget will obviously only allow older machines, but I don't want something so wore on the ways or screws that tightening the gibbs or the nuts at center travel will bind the ends. Certainly don't want a loose quill or sloppy spindle bearings either.

Lathe
Leblonde, SB, Clausing come to mind. Looking for domestic unit with current parts availability.
About 12X48 - a little smaller might work, the right buy on a monster might be OK too, but I'd like under 3000lb, and still have small enough chuck(s) for small parts as well as larger.
Taper attachment very desirable.
Steady rest very desirable.
Through Spindle desirable.
Would like 3&4 jaw chucks. Faceplate would be nice.
Would like quick change tool post on compound. A good array of cutters, parting tools, ect would be nice.
Tail stock with drill chuck(s), and dead &/or live centers.
Good array of thread pitches, and all must work. The little threading I do is usually odd ball - like 11.5/in. Older yes, but levers not a drawer full of gears.
Here too doesn't need to be pretty, but would like smooth and tight enough to make good parts anywhere on the travel. Don't want features that need repair.

I can wire in VFD or make a "idler motor" rotary, but single phase or included convertor adds a little value.

Should a lathe come up first, I'd like to leave the budget a little heavier for the mill, both my near future needs and my perceived supply/demand of lathes to mills.

I'm sure there are obvious features I'm missing in both lists, but hope I painted the picture. I'm far from an every day tool maker, but have done occasional prototyping on older machines, and some rather fine production set-ups on new CNCs. I know that a good machinist on a questionable machine can make better parts than the other way around, but I don't need a clapped out machine to add error to my mediocre talent either.

I'm not keen on buying such things without testing in person, but will assume frequent posters here to be honest enough when representing a machine.

OK, now you can say I'm nuts! :D

contact: Sierra Pappa Italy Fox Fox Yankee at Italy Tango Charlie Tango Echo Lima daht com

Last edited:
Do you mean 4K for BOTH? You Should be able to find one of the two in a machine rich area for that, but both within 5 hrs round trip from you, that’s just dreaming.

Sometimes dreams come true, and there is no harm in asking, but to be just a little more sober about it, ( not sayin’ AA, just dry out for a day and have a think! ;) ) for your budget either you need to figure in a lot of your time and $ for parts to refurbish some decent iorn, or take a chance on finding some Taiwanese machines that aren’t too bad off.

Just my 2C, good luck!

Thanks!

Those Monarchs are such beautiful pieces of artwork, I probably could have talked myself into the project - despite my quest being partially justified on the basis of wrapping up some long overdue projects rather than adding new ones. :o

Too bad, though perhaps fortunate for the sake of my project list, it's already being parted out. :( He has enough bids already on the electric yard sale that at least those screws should be finding good homes.

Last edited:
Do you mean 4K for BOTH? You Should be able to find one of the two in a machine rich area for that, but both within 5 hrs round trip from you, that’s just dreaming.

Sometimes dreams come true, and there is no harm in asking, but to be just a little more sober about it, ( not sayin’ AA, just dry out for a day and have a think! ;) ) for your budget either you need to figure in a lot of your time and $ for parts to refurbish some decent iorn, or take a chance on finding some Taiwanese machines that aren’t too bad off.

Just my 2C, good luck!

Thanks for the input! That is for both, not each. I figured I was on the edge of dreaming, but also am quite flexible on location if a seller can secure loose parts for LTL. The two certainly don't need to come from the same place either, though that would be neat to save on shipping.

It is a bit of a used machine desert around me, but with a wide enough net I know good machines are out there.

Just a couple weeks ago I missed a nice Bridgeport with few options, but fairly thoroughly tooled and a nice rotary convertor. Perhaps my mistake, but it was close enough to retrieve myself, yet far enough away that I asked the seller to send some better photos to be sure I wasn't seeing anything wrong. Probably not an hour after receiving the fresh photos, before I could even reply with travel plans, I got a second reply that it was sold. Not whining, it just means I have to figure out how to not miss out next time, yet not get burned. :scratchchin:

A lathe listed here, probably a bit more wear than the picture in my dreams, but even more well tooled :drool5: than my wildest dreams, sold last week. It was cross posted to the "Electric yard sale;" while I was waiting for a reply whether packing everything for LTL was doable, somebody else hit the BuyItNow. I could have done so, but it is possible that seller didn't want the additional headache (in which case moot anyway), so I didn't think it nice to hit BuyItNow without asking. Again, not whining, it just means I have to figure out how to not miss out next time.

Call me nostalgic, but my projects involve some good old US iron, so I just cannot buy an import machine.

Machines purchased. Mods could you please remove my contact information from the initial post in this thread? TIA!

A little scary buying based on photos, but good photos, so optimistic. Will give a few more details when more time to write.

Maybe bad karma to assume all is as pictured and described until the truck arrives, but a little better update now. I'll save the pictures until the truck does arrive and probably post each in their respective sub-forums.

I'll be joining the Wells Index club! Was actually inquiring about an "ugly but solid" BP, and similar lathe with lots of potential from the same seller on the electric yard sale, when I stumbled across a video of a Wells Index for sale that about made me drool.

The ways looked like new; no powered axis, but nice 2 axis DRO. Asking price more expensive than the BP I had already inquired, but this place also had a lathe that I thought offered plenty of bargaining room. I thought worth a call. Maybe sales pitch, and I ate it hook-line-sinker, but the seller seemed sincere to me: he said this Wells Index had came from a toolroom where it probably had seen little use. The lathe did prove a good bargaining item, and the combined shipping really helped; even then, the shipping did break my budget a bit, but a little mill tooling sweetened things enough to seal the deal.

I don't know whether the seller reads here, but regardless, I will give honesty points (or just good business mind knowing an altered bottom line would have had me calling back instead of just paying it): we negotiated from mid-estimate on shipping - the invoice showed high estimate, but he rounded the lathe price to keep the bottom line where we agreed.

I did hear back from the other lead a little later; I think I'd been happy there too, and maybe not had to nudge the budget, but this WI just looked sooo nice! :drool5:

The lathe is a little older than I planned, and parts [though I doubt ever needed!] may not be quite as readily found as say a SB, but good ol' US iron. Yeah, for probably 80 years old or more, I know similar or better CL deals are around, but then harder to find a combined shipping situation. I think this tool seller was getting at least 25% better trucking rates than I'd been able to arrange anyway. Probably twice the age of the mill, but pretty well cared from the photos. Again if I understood correctly, it spent at maybe half its life with occasional use in a machinist's home shop. Comes with a smaller 3jaw, larger 4jaw, taper, steady rest, and a little other misc tooling. Did miss one thread setting I'd really wanted, but I do already have hand dies for all the sizes I use in that - though far more painful than turning.

Maybe not the screaming deal that some more patience may have yielded, but I think I'll be happy! :)

PS Still hoping one of the moderators can XXX out my contact info in the first post of this thread. Thanks!

PS Still hoping one of the moderators can XXX out my contact info in the first post of this thread. Thanks!

I'd not worry about that. There are thousands of ways for annoying idjuts to find a person.

Given you wrote all that and still managed to hide WHICH lathe you bought?

I might even feel sorry for the robocaller trying to get you to grab a "deal" for the student loans you never had to begin with! Or at least I never did. Pay as you go, only.

:)

and still managed to hide WHICH lathe you bought?

Very observant!
Not trying to be coy; merely I noticed that a quick search didn't turn up any other locations that had that lathe and a WI for sale. I don't want to make it look like I'm advertising for anyone. Especially when I won't know until the truck arrives (even then, not really until I plug them in and make some chips!) whether I got a good or even fair deal! After they update the website, I'll share the details on it.

Had I gone BP, with more listings out there, I probably would have been specific on the lathe right away.

I might even feel sorry for the robocaller trying to get you to grab a "deal" for the student loans you never had to begin with! Or at least I never did. Pay as you go, only.

I do find those and the other robocallers annoying! But don't pity them; I have much better things to do, so just hang up. I sometimes have stayed on long enough to hear whether there is a "do not call option," but I doubt it matters even when you chose the "do not call" sequence.

Bwa Haaa haaaaa....

last1_2.jpg

Well, hope you got some good stuff! until we get some pics, however, and you disclose how much the budget was busted, AND what mistery iorn you landed, the jury is out... :)

Haven't been in this much suspense since Lamont Cranston and "The Shadow Knows!" vanished from AM Radio..

That lathe may have you by a few decades, but listening to The Shadow on the radio, perhaps less than I'd guessed! ;)

That lathe may have you by a few decades, but listening to The Shadow on the radio, perhaps less than I'd guessed! ;)

General Electric's legendary "Type 41" console, circa 1947 version, bought used a year or two old. Reluctance tuned TRF + double-conversion Super-het, multi-band, including longwave, FM commercial and entertainment bands, "Aircall" pagers, and aircraft. Only other one I've ever seen is in a Cinema apartment scene "Seven Year itch".

AM reception was so poor for backwoods WBGVA, I began learning Spanish off Radio Havana and HCJB, "La Voz de la Andes" on shortwave news broadcasts.

Thought for a time they were two unrelated languages, Cuban Spanish as it is!

Newscasters? And in an era of the "no dead air time" practice?

Oy! First came FAST. It was long, long years before it came "good"!

:)

( Jack Benny and Rochester, Amos & Andy, Fibber McGee and Molly, Sky King, The Green Hornet, The Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid and Pancho, Roy Rogers, Gene Autrey, Guy Lombardo, Bing Crosby, Doris Day and Dina Shore....)

Well, hope you got some good stuff! until we get some pics, however, and you disclose how much the budget was busted, AND what mistery iorn you landed, the jury is out... :)

Thanks for the best wishes! I was merely trying to give the thread closure posting my results, but if ya'll want to evaluate whether I came out well, or that WI's song of the sirens, in my head, instead drew me into a lesson of now poorer but [hopefully] wiser, I'm game.

The $2500 mill and $1500 lathe I didn't get: both FleaBay; the seller replied a little late he could make me an enticing deal on the bundle delivered; but I'm not sure how good - he had phase convertors and additional tooling too. If descriptions were accurate, they fit my "ugly but tight" search. FleaBay Mill

FleaBayLathe

Instead I wound up with a $3000 mill and $1000 lathe; with shipping and a little tooling pushing $1000 I hadn't planned.

Wells Index 747 1.5HP I think late 1970s.

Prat Whitney Model B I'd guess 1920s, but I think they knew how to build a solid unit.

Still don't think I'll really know until off the truck and under power, but have at the critique!

Attachments

• WI.jpg
    WI.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 116
  • Ways.jpg
    Ways.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 96
  • PW1.jpg
    PW1.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 122
  • PW2.jpg
    PW2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Prat Whitney Model B I'd guess 1920s, but I think they knew how to build a solid unit.
Lucked out, you did.

Any more teasing and obfuscation on your part, I'd have started on my DAD's War Stories!

P&W were the "jewel in the crown" of owners Niles-Bement-Pond, whose other lathes may as well have been sold by the TON, on-the-hoof, or butchered and dressed, buyer's option, as utilitarian as they were.

I think I've run nine different models of Niles, counting the VTL, HBL, and double-ended ones, but n'er blessed with a P&W.

Good lathe. Looks to me more 1930's than 1920's. John Oder will know.

Back