What's new
What's new

WTB: 13-17" swing quality lathe

MedEngineer

Plastic
Hi,

I'm looking to start making my own prototypes and a lathe is seriously lacking. I've been looking for a Graziano SAG12 or SAG14 or even a 12S. Also, would love a Mori MS-850 or 1050. Equivalent of a Monarch 10EE with a 36" bed. Not really a fan of servo shift, but would consider a Regal if its in really good condition.
Metric threading doesn't need to be standard, but needs to be possible with change-out gears.
I'm not looking for a project, but I can definitely fix minor problems.

Edit: Don't laugh, but my budget is $5k.

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm looking to start making my own prototypes and a lathe is seriously lacking. I've been looking for a Graziano SAG12 or SAG14 or even a 12S. Also, would love a Mori MS-850 or 1050. Equivalent of a Monarch 10EE with a 36" bed. Not really a fan of servo shift, but would consider a Regal if its in really good condition.
Metric threading doesn't need to be standard, but needs to be possible with change-out gears.

Thanks for looking

You will be a Servo Shift fan if you spend a bit of time on one!

Thought that I'd add that I'm willing to drive as far as CA/WA/OR or the opposite direction from Utah (which is where I live).

Hopefully that will add a few more possibilities. And I do plan on inspecting before buying.

I have narrowed my choice down to a SAG 210 and a Mori MS-850.

The MS-850 only has a 3 jaw chuck. (~$8000)
The SAG 210 has a 3-jaw, 4-jaw and tracer (~$6000)

These are both in So Cal BTW.

Both seem to be in good operational condition.

Which would you buy given the complex gearbox on the 210 vs the manual gear change on the 850?
Hoping to hear a few opinions.

Thanks

Care to elaborate on why you would make that choice?
Thanks
I think you will have a much easier time finding replacement parts for the Mori Seiki. My experience with both brands has been positive although I prefer the layout and operation of the Japanese offering. The Grazianos I have run were worn and not as user friendly. My $.02

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi,

Edit: Don't laugh, but my budget is $5k.

Thanks for looking

10EE and Mori are too different in too many ways to fairly compare.
I don't know why yer chasing SAG. Too long "orphaned". Too long accumulating wear.

If you like the Mori, look also at the Hwacheon licensed copy from South Korea, also badged as Webb and commonly mis-spelled as Whacheon or Wacheon.

There are a lot more OF them at large in the USA in the lower-priced end of the market than DMG-Mori, and many of them are still "young enough" to have decent life left in them as well, given the company has BEEN in bizness for a while, is STILL in bizness and doing fine:

hwacheon

You may find you have more options to choose from?

Back