What's new
What's new

WTB ~13" Lathe and manual Mill for small Business

Cooperstock

Aluminum
Hello,
I have been asked to do some digging for some 'small' machines for my day job.
We are looking for a knee mill, manual. DRO would be nice, not necessary. 3 Phase is preferred. Collets, chucks would be handy as a package but not necessary.

Manual Lathe, something around the 13"x42" size. 3 jaw probably preferred for the technician using it, but 4 jaw is useful. I personally have the Mazak Mate 13" and I really like it.

We don't do production, this would be for modifying parts when holes are in the wrong location, add slots, etc.

Feel free to message me. I haven't been given a budget yet, but if you have either one of these machines please let me know and we can see if the cost curves align.
I understand there will probably be shipping involved. we are in New Mexico (Albuquerque).

Thanks
Dave

I’m new to the site but here to liquidate my father’s small machine shop located in Albuquerque, NM. He passed away unexpectedly and left a running machine shop that needs to be sold. He has 3 vertical mills, two of which are Bridgeport, two lathes one of which is a Hardinge and he also has a Bridgeport machine center. These are high quality but old school. Tons of tools and attachments.

Please let me know if interested.

If your going to buy new I would recommend ACRA, Acer or Sharp. Make sure to look for a Taiwanese made machine, not Chinese. Ive been told new Bridgeport's are made in Spain now.

If those used machines are in good condition then that would be a good move. American Made Hardinge and Bridgeport's made in the USA are hard to beat.

New machines though now have hardened and ground ways, the mill tables are longer and they have a 1 year warrantee. Good Luck

Don't get a manual mill. Prototrak or similar would be a good choice. Even if you don't think so now

For sure, but two to three times the price.

As for a lathe, in that size range I would look for a 14 x 42 rather than a 13 x 42. I think you'll find
that the 14" machines are more common and you'll be surprised how often that extra inch will
come in handy (says the guy who bought a 13" instead of a 14").

One thought on the Chinese stuff: While I agree that Taiwanese or Korean is generally better than
Chinese there are some "decent" Chinese machines out there, especially if you're talking non-
production use. My lathe is a Dalian; it has a 4 HP motor, D1-6 spindle mount, 2-1/16 spindle bore,
MT4 tailstock, hardened ways and weighs just under 3500 pounds. The bed is about 11" wide.

My go to test for functionality of a lathe is how well it parts off and this one can do it effortlessly
with no chatter. It's a bit clunky and makes a bit more noise in a couple gears but it has served
me well and it was a lot less than any Taiwanese machine I could find at the time...

I sold an Alliant mill with a Prototrak on it less than a year ago...tried and tried to sell it.(including on this board) Nothing wrong with it, I just got a newer one and didn't have room for it. Sold it for $3500. A friend just bought a B'Port with the Prototrak Edge control for 7K. They are out there...just need to keep digging and be patient.

As LKeithR mentioned in post #6 going bigger often lowers the price. Getting a lathe with taper attachment and a steady upfront can be good... (I know many will say they rarely use a taper attachment.)

QT:[3 jaw probably preferred for the technician using it...]
A good quality 3 jaw with an adjust-true backplate can be handy..almost as good as a 4jaw if .001 to .003 is common in your work.

Consider L.A. or some better marketplace for your search limits.

Good to buy a running for a test lathe..and if not having any lathe experience you might take a lathe guy with you to look at it.

Very likely to spend 2K to 4K for a lathe..a lucky find maybe 1000 but don't buy a junk machine.

Here are two machines..may be ok ar junk. (X) That mill is a drill press, not a mill.
Every shop should have a tall drill press. likely a 100 - $200 one is OK.
Lathe & Milling Machine Both for $3300 - tools - by owner - sale

For sure, but two to three times the price.

As for a lathe, in that size range I would look for a 14 x 42 rather than a 13 x 42. I think you'll find
that the 14" machines are more common and you'll be surprised how often that extra inch will
come in handy (says the guy who bought a 13" instead of a 14").

One thought on the Chinese stuff: While I agree that Taiwanese or Korean is generally better than
Chinese there are some "decent" Chinese machines out there, especially if you're talking non-
production use. My lathe is a Dalian; it has a 4 HP motor, D1-6 spindle mount, 2-1/16 spindle bore,
MT4 tailstock, hardened ways and weighs just under 3500 pounds. The bed is about 11" wide.

My go to test for functionality of a lathe is how well it parts off and this one can do it effortlessly
with no chatter. It's a bit clunky and makes a bit more noise in a couple gears but it has served
me well and it was a lot less than any Taiwanese machine I could find at the time...

Any more info on your Dalian? I'm looking for something along those lines.

Hello,
I have been asked to do some digging for some 'small' machines for my day job.
We are looking for a knee mill, manual. DRO would be nice, not necessary. 3 Phase is preferred. Collets, chucks would be handy as a package but not necessary.

Manual Lathe, something around the 13"x42" size. 3 jaw probably preferred for the technician using it, but 4 jaw is useful. I personally have the Mazak Mate 13" and I really like it.

We don't do production, this would be for modifying parts when holes are in the wrong location, add slots, etc.

Feel free to message me. I haven't been given a budget yet, but if you have either one of these machines please let me know and we can see if the cost curves align.
I understand there will probably be shipping involved. we are in New Mexico (Albuquerque).

Thanks
Dave
Hey thats crazy you are looking for exactly what i have and was considering selling... Lathe is a round head clausing colchester 13 x36.. 3 phase has 3 jaw and 4 jaw. also collet closer and steady rest and more mill is a beautiful bridgeport vari speed 3 phase 1.5 hp on low volt. it has a BRAND NEW 3 axis DRO not sure on price around 8 maybe there is a lot of good stuff ill take some pics

Back