What's new
What's new

WTB 13x40 or 14x40 non-chinese manual lathe

praff

Aluminum
I am looking for a new to me lathe for my shop. It will be used for gunsmithing work and as such cant have massive headstock length. Looking for a machine that isnt completely worn out and preferably 3phase. Really dont want a chinese machine as i would just buy a new one if i did. Center to center length needs to be longer rather than shorter (30” minimum). Located near indianapolis but more than willing to travel quite a bit for pickup.

Let me know what you have.

[email protected]

Last edited:
I have a Monarch K-13, 13” x 30” lathe for sale, I’m asking $2750 for it? I’m just north of Detroit?

Let me know if you have any interest and I can get pictures and specs for you?

Kevin

I have a Monarch K-13, 13” x 30” lathe for sale, I’m asking $2750 for it? I’m just north of Detroit?

Let me know if you have any interest and I can get pictures and specs for you?

Kevin

Kevin thanks for offer, but the monarch headstock is a bit long for what I want to do.

praff, good to find a lathe with a taper attachment IMHO because you may have some barrel OD turning.
A good condition machine because you loose so much time rebuilding a clunker.
A steady so a spider or 4 jaw can go at the head end.
larger hole through so the front sight might be not removed so often, if choosing a rear spider

Kevin thanks for offer, but the monarch headstock is a bit long for what I want to do.

You are not likely to FIND one but the Cazeneuve HBX-360, a nominal 14" X 30", has a shorter spindle than first appears. Roughly half of it is an extension tube to reach the sheet-metal cabinet back so bar stock doesn't need a search-warrant or a merkin to find the hole.

That extension tube is removable, and there is access space with the top cover off and/or door swung open, to do spidery stuff in its stead.

The -BC model is also inherently inch/metric for threading, and has a powered-on-demand, ELSE capstan/vernier 5 MT through-bored TS, second taper at the arse-end.

It would not take much to implement a "gun drill" rig right through that hollow TS spindle.

My one left the factory with a hydraulic tracer that would be able to contour barrels, not just taper them. Missing when I got it, but I expect to adapt a Mimik tracer in its stead.

Weird lathe, but weird-nice not weird-bad.

I have a Le blond 13 for sale but not sure 40 as may be short but feels close. I won’t be able to measure it until late tonight. It was setup for 220 Power already so good for garage.

Also I am not a machinist and just a hobby guy so can’t answer many questions. I posted a pic below and can take more if you like.

It is in Pearland tx.

f8a30d0febb917f94ddf813cb2c4bfbd.jpg

2c08642646880e41ae78e445d66ea548.jpg

Looking for market price and not really sure what that is other that seeing similar craigslist posts and this here.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks tb, that one is a little rougher than what i am looking for.

Probably looking for 90’s production at the oldest unless it is a really pristine older lathe.

Last edited:
I thought a merkin was supposed to hide the hole.

I'd settle for one the size of a bearskin rug hiding that dreadful c**t of a rust-pile in post # 5.

The one with a decaying QCTP growing out of its middle like a pappiloma virus genital wart or a fungus on a rotten log.

"And what is your occupation, Sir tb2016?"

"Why, I'm a sick-maker! Damned good at it, and PROUD of it !!!"

"I know what is IMPORTANT! A drum switch and a QCTP!. There's NO NEED for anything else but a spreadsheet."

"I read that right off a Dumb M** F**ker's Tomb, stoned!"

:(

"Market price?"

Depends on how many furlongs of extra cable over and above his normal disposal fee the operator feels appropriate to establish minimum safe working distance whilst dragging it off to the smelter.

Can't risk infecting a still-serviceable garbidge truck, after all.

Thanks tb, that one is a little rougher than what i am looking for.

Probably looking for 90’s production at the oldest unless it is a really pristine older lathe.

Takasawa or Webb TSL-800 or TSL-1000 might fit the bill for you.

A "Cadillac" (YAM/ Yang Machinery) Would do you just fine!

Good Iron in a 14X40.

Lighter, but with a good bore through the spindle would be the Weiler Condor, old or new.

Thanks for suggestions/tips...picked up a 90s vintage bridgeport romi 13-5 today

Romi can be good stuff and thats near-NEW as to the dates many of us run.

They seem to work machine-tools like that "many brand" auto plant in Portugal or Taurus making Beretta 92's on Beretta tooling and blueprints - doing production runs for others on contract under their brand as well as goods of their own.

Romi did HBX-360-BC's, hydraulic tracer, weird apron, and all to Cazeneuve specs and prints. One of the few You-Tube to be found on the tracer use, actually.

Thanks for suggestions/tips...picked up a 90s vintage bridgeport romi 13-5 today

How has the Romi 13-5 worked out for you?

I’m shopping for a lathe similar size and similar capabilities.

That's an excellent machine if it has been taken care of. I just bought a 40" DoAll-Romi 13-5 myself. Worked with and on them for 30 years. They are well made and will maintain accuracy even after decades of daily use. I much prefer this design to the later Tormax with it's treadle type foot brake. Parts are still available from Romi. If you want collets, you'll need a D1-4 mount collet chuck. Or, if you don't mind a little fabrication, look for a complete Royal lever style collet closer. These are very fast when changing or adjusting collets, and hold length very well. Mine is set up with a 6" Buck Adjust-true 3-jaw and an Aloris AXA tool-post, even though a BXA is better suited to a 13" lathe.

How has the Romi 13-5 worked out for you?

I’m shopping for a lathe similar size and similar capabilities.

It has been an excellent machine. It was in fantastic shape with almost no wear on the ways. Original paint and wasn’t a daily user like most you see for sale. I am really happy with the size to weight ratio and the heavy duty motor. Really nice lathe. The spindle is a bit long for gunsmith work, but about 8” of it is just so it can come through the outboard gearimg housing. I plan on chopping it off so I can either direct thread it or put an outboard spider on it.

I have for sale MY 1941 14.5 South Bend Lathe. This lathe "2 years ago" has been taking completely apart stripped and parts replaced. This is basically a brand new machine. This thing is fully loaded! I have the original wrenches. New felts throughout the headstock, apron, and gear box. Listed
Taper attachment
Thread dial
Micrometer carriage stop
Set of 5C collets 16th increments
Full set of lubricants
Full set of QCTP Phase II wedge style
Steady rest with roller fingers
Follow rest with roller fingers
Collet rack
3 and 4 jaw chucks " I believe they're 9" and 10"
Keyless chuck
Dumore tool post grinder
I have a tachometer for it as well but it's not hooked up.
I have the original power switch and arm mount, as well as an extra qcgb.

$4500

20190329_124411.jpg
20180422_100452.jpg

Back