What's new
What's new

WTB 13x40 lathe in florida!!

flyboyziel56

Plastic
I'm looking for a 13x40 lathe in Florida. I would like it to be in reasonable shape with out alot of work needing to be done to it. Please PM me or email me @ [email protected]. I'm located near Orlando and would be willing to travel a good distance to pick it up. thanks in advance:D

I'm looking for a 13x40 lathe in Florida. I would like it to be in reasonable shape with out alot of work needing to be done to it.
That's the equivalent of an ad saying you want a small car in Florida in reasonable shape.

13x40 could run the gambit from a POS 1980's Chinese lathe for $500 to a late 90's CNC 1340 Harrison for $22,000.

That's the equivalent of an ad saying you want a small car in Florida in reasonable shape.

13x40 could run the gambit from a POS 1980's Chinese lathe for $500 to a late 90's CNC 1340 Harrison for $22,000.

OK??? I guess I just didn't get your point?? should I not ask for a 13x40 lathe in good working order???:confused::confused::confused:

OK??? I guess I just didn't get your point?? should I not ask for a 13x40 lathe in good working order???:confused::confused::confused:

The point is that 13X40 lathe in good working order doesn't fully define what you're looking for. Its kind of like looking for a car, are you looking for a small economy car, a sports car, a luxury car, etc... all of these have four wheels, a motor, brakes, steering and start and stop, but each are more capable in different ways.

If you can describe the type of work you want to do, that would help in determining what type of 13X40 lathe would work best for you.

Sheesh, talk about being dense... ok, I'll spell it out for you...you should define what sort of 1340 lathe you are looking for. Do you want a nice American or European gear head machine of recent vintage ? Would an antique flat belt machine be ok if the condition and price were right ? Would a late Chinese V belt machine be ok ? (in which case you can't ask about it here, btw ;) ) Do parts availabity matter to you ? Does it have to be single phase ? And on and on.... Plus some sort of price range would be good to tell us about.

Sheesh, talk about being dense... ok, I'll spell it out for you...you should define what sort of 1340 lathe you are looking for. Do you want a nice American or European gear head machine of recent vintage ? Would an antique flat belt machine be ok if the condition and price were right ? Would a late Chinese V belt machine be ok ? (in which case you can't ask about it here, btw ;) ) Do parts availabity matter to you ? Does it have to be single phase ? And on and on.... Plus some sort of price range would be good to tell us about.

WOW!! I would have never thought that this was a forum that would resort to name calling ( Dense?? ). If I'm not as experienced as you in posting a want ad, and certainly not wanting to start a word fight then i would have figured that most people would be willing to help another individual out with want he or she is in search of and not calling them names. I guess since I'm not as smart or as you stated ( "talk about being DENSE!!" )maybe I should look else where to seek help in finding a lathe?. I'm so sorry for being DENSe and in the present of such great individuels. :eek:

And so in two posts since your first, we still don't have any idea of what your needs are beyond "13x40".

Manual or CNC
Spindle HP and speed range
Threading capability
Chucks, toolpost configuration, steady rest, follower rest, turret or tailstock
Voltage
Year of manufacture range
Preferred country of origin
Work to be done
Budget

There are a LOT of good, patient and kind people here waiting to help and if you had given more information instead of getting offended, you'd have the help you want.

Besides specifying capabilities desired, he also needs to specify his budget for such a machine. As pointed out so clearly, 13 X 40 covers a wide range of possibilities.

So it could be $500, $500, $10,000. If a number is provided I'm sure that many choices could be named.

And so in two posts since your first, we still don't have any idea of what your needs are beyond "13x40".

Manual or CNC
Spindle HP and speed range
Threading capability
Chucks, toolpost configuration, steady rest, follower rest, turret or tailstock
Voltage
Year of manufacture range
Preferred country of origin
Work to be done
Budget

There are a LOT of good, patient and kind people here waiting to help and if you had given more information instead of getting offended, you'd have the help you want.

Agreed!! I'm looking for a 13x40 American lathe!. A chuck, face plate, tool post, and tooling to accompany it would be nice. I would like to find one that has a brake set up on it as well. 1 that was in working shape is preferred, but 1 that is restoreable will be considered as well.:D

OUT of LINE . The people that responed to this post are not helping in anyway and dont live near Florida. First off i live here and was born in fl, so this really offends me that you jump all over this guy for writing a post asking for help. Second there are SO few machines in florida that he asked a great question and i will bet that there is only one or two lathes for sale in that size range, prove me wrong!!! i know i looked for years and bought one for a awesome price because people in this state dont want/or know what they are for the most part (13x40 turnpro $2700 new).. so take a chill pill. matt

OUT of LINE . The people that responed to this post are not helping in anyway and dont live near Florida. First off i live here and was born in fl, so this really offends me that you jump all over this guy for writing a post asking for help. Second there are SO few machines in florida that he asked a great question and i will bet that there is only one or two lathes for sale in that size range, prove me wrong!!! i know i looked for years and bought one for a awesome price because people in this state dont want/or know what they are for the most part (13x40 turnpro $2700 new).. so take a chill pill. matt
He wasn't asking for "help" but was inquiring to BUY a 13 x 40 lathe. We are trying to HELP him by getting him to DEFINE what he wants exactly.

And you may live in FL but I've been to many auctions** in FL from Jacksonville to Ft Liquordale to Tampa and everywhere in between, plus a number of FL dealers... and can tell you you don't know what you are talking about when it comes to lathes of that size being around for sale. Some auctions I've been to were big plants, some medium aerospace job shops and some were tech school auctions, where 1340 lathes were in abundance.

Dealer wise, Acme Surplus* in nearby Sanford, FL often has a few like that lying around plus there is a large dealer in Port Orange, just south of Daytona (Sierra Victor, I think is the name) that has both used and new metal lathes at reasonable prices. Going west, there is a dealer in the Tampa area called G&G that has lots of home shop type used machines.

Is that enough "proof" or do you want more ? :rolleyes5:

===============================

*Acme's prices on machines are sometimes kinda nutty but he can be talked way down usually ;)

**Florida is a kinda funny place when it comes to auctions. I've got the best deals of my career in FL..absolute screamin deals you wouldn't believe. But often enough the machines sell kinda high there...it's really hit and miss. Tech school auctions are usually pretty good, but not quite "screamin" deals.

FL is also home to the most paranoid and assholic auctioneers I've ever encountered ! But there are some nice ones too. Funny, thinking back on it now, both the best auction I've ever been to and the worst auction I've ever been to were in Florida ! And I don't mean just barely either, I mean by far the best and by far the worst...both heaven and hell ! LOL !

This is what I'm talking about in another post.He didn't start this thread as certain folks thought it should be started and now everything is out of context.I knew exactly that he meant and emailed him forthwright about a lathe I'm willing to sell.Come on guys.This isn't deathbed or even cemetary.Let's not bury him before he's ready to go.Calm down..............Have some dip!

I knew exactly that he meant and emailed him forthwright about a lathe I'm willing to sell.
So, enlighten the unsavy amongst us who cannot read minds..what did he mean exactly ? (btw, does your lathe have a foot brake ?)

from merrit island if you go west on 520 or hwy 50 into ft Christmas and make a right and head north on hwy 419 there is a sign of a guy who sells machinery from his home. he had a large selection of home lathes, mostly american machines like SB, Logan, Atlas. I am sorry i dont remeber his name, but i use to live near him. he is still there. If you want to come to Miami I can find a lathe for you. I only have monarchs which dont quite meet you size. I know down south a lot of machinery is for sale, but I have been somewhat out of it for a couple of years. I do have a few bridgeports and grinders with tooling if in the future.
Dont worry about the guys on this site they are great, they just woke from winter hibernation and are a little grouchy, but all and all they are great.

Ray, still waiting to hear how you knew exactly what he was looking for by the below copy. :toetap:

I'm looking for a 13x40 lathe in Florida. I would like it to be in reasonable shape with out alot of work needing to be done to it.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here nor will I be drawn into one by the moderator or anyone else.So if anyone is waiting for me to answer Don's post you'll be waiting 'til hell freezes over.And no this Hendey doesn't have a foot brake.It does however have a brake.The solution is simple.It's called common sense.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here nor will I be drawn into one by the moderator or anyone else.So if anyone is waiting for me to answer Don's post you'll be waiting 'til hell freezes over
I'm not trying to pick a fight either...I am genuinely curious how you knew exactly what he wanted from the copy I referenced. Having "common sense" does not even remotely answer the question as I have that as well....apparently more than you, since I have the common sense not to make assumptions based on very limited info.

I think I owe Allan an apology for being part of screwing up his threads original purpose.

Don,please just forget about it and have a good rest of the day.

I think I owe Allan an apology for being part of screwing up his threads original purpose.

Don,please just forget about it and have a good rest of the day.

Look guys!! please forgive my ignorance, nobody owes me anything. Ignorance is bliss!!!!!. There are times when some people don't understand what people are in need of especially when they don't render the proper information, IE price, location, needs, and on and on. I don't usually never post an ad looking for lathe. I should have been more specific!!. Ray thank you for being thoughtful and Don I will in the future be more specific as to my needs and not to confuse the good people on the forum.Ray I still would like to see some pictures of that lathe and let me know what you want for it. Again I apologize for the mass confusion!!. Thanks Allan :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Back