What's new
What's new

WTB: 16" or 18" Vertical Band Saw (Doall, Dake or Grob)

CompositesGuy

Aluminum
Hi All,

I'm looking for a 16" to 18" vertical band saw in very good condition. I'm only interested in Doall, Grob or Dake brands. I'm ok with shipping from anywhere in the USA.

Any tips on specific things I should look for on the saw's condition? After some research I think I'm most interested in the Doall brand, and I know that they made several different models/styles over the years. Was one Doall model (in this size range) preferable to the others? Why?

Thank you.

Doall makes a good saw- just make sure that it shifts well from high to low - as they saws get some hours on them, a bushing wears in the gearbox making shifting impossible. Doall parts are usually pretty expensive. Grob saws are a little less common but have the advantage that parts are cheaper and available from MSC. If you get a step pulley model there is a lot less to go wrong.

If you back off your want for a "very good condition saw" I have a "decent condition" used Grob that is actually a vertical infeed saw. I bought it because I couldn't find a Marvel in my price range. A couple days after I swaped over to single phase motors a Marvel became available. So it has been sitting off to the side for a few years collecting dust. It has a 3/4" band in it now. If you wanted to do scroll work you could make up some smaller guides and throw in a smaller profiling band.
Rosie

Still looking... thought I'd bump this up to the top of the list and see if there's anything new out for sale.

There are Do-Alls all over eBay, but they aren't giving them away. We have a 16" MetalMaster and it is awesome. As far as advice on buying, make sure it is all there, blade welder/grinder works, powerfeed is there and working, table complete, ect.

Ours came from auction for a song complete with ORIGINAL cabinet stocked with various width guides, blades, and band files! :willy_nilly: We keep a 1/4" bi-metal blade in it and it is the handiest thing ever, whether roughing out a billet for machining or trimming a do-dad to length, ect.

It beats the he!! out of me. A guy comes on looking for something and doesn't respond. If you are not interested say so. If it is too expensive, say so. Whatever the reason it would seem these people would have the courtesy to respond.

Hi Butch,

I'm not sure what you're on about. Your message to me is only 2 days old... and I just saw it for the first time. You said nothing about a price, nor posted any pictures... Did I miss something?

My email is sent to you in a private message.

I guess myself and my acquaintences are a little different. We believe that we should constantly watch our threads and emails if we are buying or selling. I didn't post photos as you didn't post that you were interested.
I think I will keep mine.

When I'm buying or selling something, and there's a connection with a person, money and expectations on the line, I go out of my way to be prompt and courteous. I've spent over $10k with folks on this message board, and have 100% positive feedback on my Ebay account after 10 years and hundreds of transactions, selling and buying. I'm not a professional shop, or a business, just a guy with a day job and my little home hobby shop that brings me joy. But hey, if my money ain't green because I didn't respond back to your post on an internet board for 48 hours, thanks for sparing me a headache. Indeed "you're a little bit different." :-)

Now, if anyone else has a good condition bandsaw of the aforemention brand/size, I'm still looking. Many apologies if I don't notice your post for a day or two...

Back