What's new
What's new

WTB. #3 or B 18 Moore

AW

Aluminum
Increasing work load from ITAR reg. has lead to picking up customers that require the layout ability of one of these.
Any leads on locating a decent unit in the North East would be appreciated.

thanks

alan
[email protected]

Most folks that buy jig borers these days do so just because they are cheap and to piddle around with them. Would seem for an "increasing work load" situation you should consider a CNC mill...which, if a good make, and esp if equipped with glass scale feedback (like Deckel and Maho's are) would be just as accurate as a Moore....and a heck of alot faster and without operator needed during the drill/boring cycle.

OTOH, if your budget is 750 bucks...the Moore is the way to go :)

Milacron, I have read you bash jig borers on the site before but it is time for me to speak up for these machines. The Deckels you speak of are FAR from a jig borer in accuracy. We have had 3 Deckel VMCs where I work and they would marganily hold "open" aircraft positional tolerances.

You can not beat a jig borer when it comes to repairing aircraft (or probably many other) parts. The machining centers or CNC mills you suggested are next to worthless to indicate in a gear train and machine for a repair bushing then re-machine on the correct location of where the bore was origanally.

We also get parts that need seal surfaces re-machined, requirering .0005-.0010 removed to clean up o-ring sealing surfaces. This requirers alot of indicating and a very square machine.

There is a need to fix bearing bores on housings where a series of mutiple bearings are used on a "shaft". Most of these are designed with the smallest bearing in the bottom of a bore and the bearing size jumps up 1/32" each bearing. When you need to repair lets say the 2nd from the bottom bearing land you to do alot of indicating to get this bore aligned. A jig borer with a tilting rotory table is the machine you want to do this on.

Your sales buisness may not get you into alot of high end aircraft repair facilities but jig borers are still used and sought out buy some industries.

As you jet around for your livelyhood remember that there isn't a commercial plane flying that hasn't had some jig borer/jig grinder work done on it, and you can take that to the bank. Even a brand new jet has had repair done to it.

I'm not advocting a jig borer as a strong cash flow machine but I wanted to make sure people understand these machines are still used but some industry.

. We have had 3 Deckel VMCs where I work and they would marganily hold "open" aircraft positional tolerances.
I said Deckel or Maho mill, not VMC. Deckel VMC's are extremely rare in this country so I wonder what you have there exactly...do you know the model numbers ?

FWIW, Deckel made jig borers as well, and offered the same jig boring head to fit on all their FP4M and smaller model mills, including the CNC mills. And also a jig grinder head that replaces the normal vertical head. The Moore jig grinder still has advantages in grit removal system however.

If one wants jig borer accuracy on a VMC on the cheap, I think Mazak made a series of gantry style VMC's in the 1990's with that in mind. These often sell for less than $10,000 at auctions since they are so huge in comparison to their axis travels not many folks want them. http://cgi.ebay.com/MAZAK-VQC-20-40...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3efe4470df

And saying a machine is obsolete is not "bashing" a machine, it's just stating the economic realities from the marketplace. Of course there will be small pockets of industry finding good uses for a machine that general industry has abandoned, but it's still obsolete.

Last edited:
AW, once again the Moore jigbore topic went in some other direction.

There is a bunch of them out there, some in great condition. Finding one in great condition is the hard part.
I would suggest, finding one with near zero wear on the vertical spindle housing ways, and near zero wear on the spindle quill.
Table wear can be compensated for, the upper movements can not.
This test is, posted in the other dreadful thread.
The other test, spindle bearings, run the spindle at full speed for 20 minutes, the bearings should make no noise, and the quill should not get warm to the touch at its nose. That is, if its in near perfect condition.

I have a Cleereman layout drill with 2 axis Accurite readouts rapid feeds X & Y which was rebuilt about 17 years ago it has been in the same tool and die shop since new if you are interested. $3000.00 loaded. Zeo

I have a Cleereman layout drill with 2 axis Accurite readouts rapid feeds X & Y which was rebuilt about 17 years ago it has been in the same tool and die shop since new if you are interested. $3000.00 loaded. Zeo
Cleereman, Fosdick and Pratt-Whitney made some beautiful jig borers.. but some are huge in size. What is the aprox footprint and/or weight of the Cleereman ? Might be good to know the glass scale divisions and what sort of tooling it takes as well.

If one wants jig borer accuracy on a VMC on the cheap, I think Mazak made a series of gantry style VMC's in the 1990's with that in mind. These often sell for less than $10,000 at auctions since they are so huge in comparison to their axis travels not many folks want them. MAZAK VQC-20/40B CNC VMC - eBay (item 270553870559 end time Jun-24-10 14:10:57 PDT)
Today I found a brochure on the Mazak VQC-15/40 in my files. X/Y/Z travels of 22/16/15 inches. Machine weight is 9,240 lbs.

Re Accuracy...

positioning accuracy +- .00019" full stroke
positioning repeatability +- .00004"
boring pitch accuracy +- .00004" x/y axis direction at 8" distance.
max difference of hole dias. .00012"

Is that "good enough" ? :rolleyes5: And this, fully automated instead of standing there "holding your tongue right" with a manual machine.... plus it will mill....

mazakvqc.jpg

Cleereman

Cleereman, Fosdick and Pratt-Whitney made some beautiful jig borers.. but some are huge in size. What is the aprox footprint and/or weight of the Cleereman ? Might be good to know the glass scale divisions and what sort of tooling it takes as well.
The footprint would be about 72" X and 60" y, close to 96" tall, I would guess it weights in @ about #6500. the readout is .0001". Cleereman has there own type collet setup which will come with it. Zeo

Last edited:
AW, if you haven't done so already, you should put a free wanted ad on Machinetools.com for the Moore. Probably best to stress pristine examples only as otherwise you will be inundated with offers from dealers that have Moores gathering dust in the warehouse they have long since given up advertising.

The company I work for is having a Retirement (going-out-of-business) Sale after 38 years and liquidating their entire machine shop. Lots of SOLID equipment with plenty of life still left in them including this SWEET Moore Jig Grinder (Lot # 111); they don't make them like this anymore! Know anyone with a need or room to give them a second lease on life? Someone please save it from going to the scrap-yard!
Moore.jpg
MOORE JIG GRINDER MODEL NO. 3 SERIAL G1197 You must use our Rigger - Rigging Fee $300.00

Back