What's new
What's new

WTB 5c or similar lathe

wippin' boy

Diamond
I'm working on a project that would be well suited for a small second op (DSMish) or turret (HC like) lathe
doesn't have to be a big name machine
doesn't have to be fully functional, im pretty handy
but it cant be a basket case (i have one of those already)
needs to be within a day trip of 61244 (unless its on a 20" high trailer and you'll meet half way)
needs to be viable (unobtaineum collets with no collets included kinda thing)
if its an odd system with 1/4",5/16" and 3/8" collets ,,,,,maybe
biggest issues are a decent spindle and most parts included or readily available, as stated, im kinda handy so...
on the cheap (you knew that part already)

pm if you know of anything

thanks

kevin

to be clear
a good working lathe is up for consideration too
and i dont expect to find a viable machine tool for a hundred bucks
im just trying to control budget as best as i can on an as of yet unproven project that im currently producing vertically on drill presses.
a 4-6 station turret with at least 1 cut off slide is what the job really calls for.
but i wouldnt turn an HC with a shit the bed variable pullies or smoked electrical cabinet. just trying to keep possibilities wide open

to be clear
a good working lathe is up for consideration too
and i dont expect to find a viable machine tool for a hundred bucks
im just trying to control budget as best as i can on an as of yet unproven project that im currently producing vertically on drill presses.
a 4-6 station turret with at least 1 cut off slide is what the job really calls for.
but i wouldnt turn an HC with a shit the bed variable pullies or smoked electrical cabinet. just trying to keep possibilities wide open

Call John or Dee at McKean, Brook Park, IL. They've got a Wade 98 might do yah. Video on it, run through the speeds.

Separately, another source has a cross & compound on ePrey that fits it ... if even you need more.

ISTR member Andy FitzGibbon is our resident Wade expert?

Ping him about what collets they use.

Wade Tool Co. parts and collets available

My guess is it would not be hard to recover that price if it doesn't do what you expect?

Gittin' too old for thousand mile R/T "go-fetch" meself - no longer having a Pittsburgh way staging site.

:D

Ah, right you are, Bill. eBay link here.

That 98 uses 22J collets and has a 22J to 8W adapter with it. Max speed 2000. Maybe a little slow for aluminum work in the diameters Kevin listed.

The Wade 94, often in 5C, is faster - 3500 rpm. Both are often under $1K, sometimes with tooling. The older versions are often set up for 8W collets, which can be adapted for 5C's with a draw tube change. I have two 98's and a 94. Noisy, but very solid.

Ah, right you are, Bill. eBay link here.

That 98 uses 22J collets and has a 22J to 8W adapter with it. Max speed 2000. Maybe a little slow for aluminum work in the diameters Kevin listed.

The Wade 94, often in 5C, is faster - 3500 rpm. Both are often under $1K, sometimes with tooling. The older versions are often set up for 8W collets, which can be adapted for 5C's with a draw tube change. I have two 98's and a 94. Noisy, but very solid.

There's a cheaper 94 on ePrey out in Kaliphoneyah, older, rattier, and I'm not 100% sure it is even faster.

McKean's video showed the variable-speed drive on that 98 was functional. Phone call to John or Dee would probably get the top-end confirmed.

And it is not terribly far away from the OP.. go-fetch range?

I'd bet the bearings will stand at least 4K RPM but dunno whether that drive is a power-operated Reeves variant ....... or a VFD.

If a Reeves clone, add a VFD and you'd have your speed boost?

I know nada about Wade collets, but if all it takes is a drawbar change?
Pre-threaded 5C drawtube stock is readily available.

The McKean machine was originally powered by an 1800 rpm 3ph motor, running a Reeves drive into a gearbox with electromagnetic clutches to select hi, low, and reverse. But the listing says it's been replaced with an "ems updated electronic variable speed drive", whatever that is. That might be a bit far for a day outing, too.

Gotta be a Hardinge around his area.

I saw that wade for 900 bucks and it temps me but the collet issue makes me a little squeamish. my job is very specific and limited in size though so I asked the seller for info on what collets were included
any more about the 5c tube retro? easy? anyone out there who can make me the tube?
i've also realized my old logan turret on my 918 rivett might cobble together (DUH!!) both in remote storage

i see no reply's to the wade post for quite some time from andy
is he still out there?

thanks for replys so far

I saw that wade for 900 bucks and it temps me but the collet issue makes me a little squeamish. my job is very specific and limited in size though so I asked the seller for info on what collets were included
any more about the 5c tube retro? easy? anyone out there who can make me the tube?
i've also realized my old logan turret on my 918 rivett might cobble together (DUH!!) both in remote storage

i see no reply's to the wade post for quite some time from andy
is he still out there?

thanks for replys so far

He is.

Logged-in and posted 16 November .. today. Just not on a Wade issue. He has email enabled as well as PM-PM.

Must admit I had been watching that Wade. Lot of inertia in a 10EE. Wade's generally go cheaper than Hardinge, use basically the same tooling for the same work. Might be more value-for-money in 'em? There's a Chinese one out there, too... pretty well tooled.. budget?

Tube is easy. Looks as if there is also an adapter wanted? Contact Andy?

W/R to adapting bed turrets?

"In theory" they should have the same quality of fit-up as the conventional TS.. or carriage.

"In practice", the adaptor can be rather crude.

Line it up for the tasking. Clamp it down. The movement thereafter is all in its own slide. It need not move on the bed at ALL... until some other tasking calls for that.

"Proof of concept" w/r adapting an Enco hex turret off some other lathe to the 10EE even has a hunk of White oak stair tread in the mix! Good Iron to replace it is here, too.. but still... other priorities!

If you have all you need for the job w/r that Rivett/Logan cross-breed?

JF try it. $1,000 Plus saving vs what? One day of f**k-around time?

2CW

"That 98 uses 22J collets and has a 22J to 8W adapter with it." WADE #98 TURRET LATHE | eBay
The eBay lathe includes seven 8W collets, one of which is 7/16.

The 22J collet is designed for the Hardinge Sjogren nose collet chucks. It has a capacity of 2.25" round. That is a big collet. and a rare one in small order hole sizes. Having an adapter sleeve that goes in the spindle in place of a 22J collet that allows a Wade 8W collet to fit is a good thing. The 8W (Hardinge calls them 8WN) collets are pretty rare also, but I have read that the front part of the 8W collet that fits in the sleeve is the same size as a 5C. Don't know about the keyway size, though. That means you need to modify the existing lever closer to fit the threads on a 5C collet. If the lever closer tube fits 22J collets and has a removable reducer adapter to fit the threads of the 8W collets, it might be easy to make a similar adapter to fit the threads of 5C collets.

This much information is in the Hardinge collet catalogs:
8WN: body 1.250, length 3.88, thread 1.245-16 RH
5C: body 1.250, length 3.29, thread (old catalogs 1.245-20 RH) new catalogs 1.238-20 RH

Larry

yeah
the frankenrivett is first in line
if i would have been thinking (not as clearly as i used too) i would not even have started thread
i mostly forgot all about the logan parts

everything works if you let it

yeah
the frankenrivett is first in line
if i would have been thinking (not as clearly as i used too) i would not even have started thread
i mostly forgot all about the logan parts

everything works if you let it

Surely could was.

"Franken" turret or not, a(ny) Rivett makes for an "above average" starting point, as need not kiss the arse of anything else in its size & capacity range!

:D

You didn't see the shop it's in. Probably want to have a remote-control robot go in there to pick it up! We picked up a southbend lathe
from there last year, and I think it took two showers before I was halfway clean.

I have a Wade cross slide in excellent shape if the Wade lathe is a consideration.

Also have a machine that might work for you. It is a Litton 'Q' lathe, which is a small hydraulic tracer that was designed for making vacuum tubes. The hydraulic tracer is removable leaving a t-slotted fixed knee. The large joy stick operates the hydraulics, so it controls whether the bed moves in/out, left/right and both. The crank operates the Reeves drive. It has a lever-operated collet closer and a 5C spindle nose (D1-3). The other lever operates a clutch. Everythng was working last time I tried it. Unfortunately I'm in CA so it would require shipping. I think it only weighs about 700 pounds, it is all aluminum castings. Here are some pictures:

IMG_0951.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

IMG_0922.jpg

Back