What's new
What's new

WTB 6" Pratt Whitney vertical shaper

ar15is223

Plastic
Hello I am looking for a 6" Pratt Whitney vertical shaper in decent working condition located on the east coast, as far south as Georgia or as far north New Hampshire or as far east as Ohio, for a reasonable price, thanks.

12 incher is pretty darn big

Man, you'd have to be sure you wanted a 12 incher they sure are big. The 6 incher I picked up down in Ohio in August is a pretty serious chunk for its size.

It is definitely heavier than its catalog weight and worth every $$ I gave for it.

Anyone have the ages for these machines as mine is S/N 772?

I'll keep my eyes open for another good one and put up a flag if I see one.

Good luck, Doug

Anyone have the ages for these machines as mine is S/N 772?
6" M-1506 Model B - 703 last serial for '40, 826 last serial for '42.

Scans below of 6" and 12".

John Oder

Attachments

• 6 inch scan.jpg
    6 inch scan.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,512
  • 12 inch scan.jpg
    12 inch scan.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,382
AR15 & USMachine,

The Benson Ford Research Library (at The Henry Ford, Dearborn, MI) has an extensive collection of industrial machine tool sales literature and operating manuals. Their collection can be searched online:

Benson Ford Research Center

I visited a while back and I'm pretty sure they have some sales literature for the P&W slotters. I may have a scanned copy if you want it, but USM has no excuse for not visiting the library in person: he's a local :)

Good luck with your search. A P&W 6-inch is a dream machine for me, but space will probably prohibit it.

Bob :cheers:

USM's daughter has worked there :-)

My daughter worked in the institutional development (fund raising) office for 5 years at the Henry Ford before moving on to Wayne State University as a department director there. :D

We have had many behind the scene visits and it is a cool place to go.:smoking:

I also have a very good friend that has an extensive collection of literature that goes back to the early 30's that I have unlimited access to when I need to research a machine I might be interested in. It is a blessing and a curse I suppose :willy_nilly::eek::crazy:

Have one for sale

Hello I am looking for a 6" Pratt Whitney vertical shaper in decent working condition located on the east coast, as far south as Georgia or as far north New Hampshire or as far east as Ohio, for a reasonable price, thanks.

I have one extra in good condition in pakistan

6" M-1506 Model B - 703 last serial for '40, 826 last serial for '42.

Scans below of 6" and 12".

John Oder
I just went to pick up a 6" I bought, well the picking up part didn't go so well.

Only weight I found listed was 5140 without motor, which has to be older than these you posted. Mine looks just like these and I have clue on the weight now, as the 6k pound outdoor lift would curl it back, but not pick it up. Wasted 90 bucks in fuel and 7 hours of my life today.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just went to pick up a 6" I bought, well the picking up part didn't go so well.

Only weight I found listed was 5140 without motor, which has to be older than these you posted. Mine looks just like these and I have clue on the weight now, as the 6k pound outdoor lift would curl it back, but not pick it up. Wasted 90 bucks in fuel and 7 hours of my life today.

Did you try blocking under the ram ?

You can lift it, just not move it, back your trailer under it.

April 1944 brochure says 4600 on the 6". Possibly you have the 8240 LB 12" on your hands?
Its a 6", right on the tag model B. Don't get me wrong, at first I thought I was wrong too, but its a 6"

Possible the old massy Ferguson was just tired and worn out.

I have a buddy who can meet me there with a 6k pound lift on his roll back.

Not sure how I am going to get the Cincinnati Gilbert hbm out.

April 1944 brochure says 4600 on the 6". Possibly you have the 8240 LB 12" on your hands?
There it is. I'm sad. Had to pay someone to do what I could have done with this, 3 times since I procured it in February.
f952a4aee22e001a8ccd087364036f61.jpg
a0f98e1973ce62151610c95b1525bc1d.jpg

Back