What's new
What's new

WTB: Brown and Sharpe No 12 Horizontal Plain Production Milling Machine 1940 era

Preso Matic

Plastic
WTB: Brown and Sharpe No 12 Horizontal Plain Production Milling Machine 1940 era. I am looking for a complete or parts machine. My current mill (pictured) is giving me trouble and I want to find a parts unit as well as a complete running 2nd unit. Have funds. Will travel to pickup almost anywhere. I am located in FL and travel is no issue. I know these were production workhorses for many products. I have seen some that have been updated with new controllers and will consider that as well. Any body know these units? Where to find some? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMGP9323.jpg
    IMGP9323.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 228
Well. I was warned on this forum about scammers. I got a pm with a phone number and I have the item you are looking for. I should have known from the beginning because he included my term 1940 era. The story went on he was moving tomorrow and it makes sense to do something different. Said he was in Miami moving to MI. I said I am only 4hrs away and can come anytime even right now. Next was trying to figure what I would pay. I offered it depends on machine. I asked for pictures and got 3 pictures of some machine that was NOT even close to the B&S No.12 Plain Production mill. Then he sent a Bridgeport vertical. I challenged him and he said it absolutely was it. I politely told him no thanks. I wanted to ask him about his car's extended warranty but figured it was still a waste. I cannot believe they are that intrusive. It was a generic new member this month. No posts and his number did not match his location.

I see I missed the first clue. He added a +1 to the phone number. People in the US don't do that. +1 754 two five five 2217 - name was jmaverick. joined in 9-21

It is the modern version that I am specifically looking for. The 1800 and 1912 models do not do what I am looking for. In my original post I even show a picture of the unit that I already have. The modern picture above in this post is from LR Brown Co. in CT. They refurb these machines and the one pictured is one of 12 he did for a customer with updated controls..

jmaverick strikes again. He was trying to sell me a CXA tool post with holders. I told him or her no posts no purchase. I looked at his profile on the site same phone number. Also only wanted to text.

Glad we can root him out. These guys are in all industries and surprised me how specialized he was here. He had me excited because I really really really need to find this additional mill(s). SIDE Note. Any tips from the forum on how to find or post besides the "for sale buy" section?? I didn't see a Brown & Sharpe segment. Looking for suggestions.

what exactly are you dooing with this machine ?
Can you use a Nichols mill ? or even a Nichols TwinMill ?

They are more common.

Also, Cincinnati made thousands of these, albeit mostly larger, and there is a shop (IIRC deetroit area) that specializes in them.

Digger Doug, Thanks for the question and Nichols tip. I'll answer what we do with it first. We make a single part with a single pass through a stack of 50 slotting cutters to a designed shape and then progress to a new part by shifting the cutters one position (cutter width) resulting in 50 separate parts. It's a mechanical progressive algorithm. The machine holds a strong tolerance and the part requires that. In summary we make 50 separate single parts that are each unique. I can do it on a traditional horiz but its a lot of labor. The B&S has an automation the the table feed, spindle movement accuracy etc.

For the question about Nichols or Cincinnati options. My lack of knowledge is my issue. I own this business and am mechanical from what I have learned, but we do not have a machinist on staff at the moment. I have tried to find some to consult with, but no one found yet. So my knowledge is limited on options. I am trying to avoid taking this process to CNC yet, although one day it will come. Now that you mentioned Nichols I looked up some videos and am intrigued, but need to study the functions. Same for Cincinnati.

I am running out of time on this current mill being down and it have my production stopped completely.

Digger - I really really appreciate the tip on those other ideas.

Digger Doug. Thank you again. I have been studying the Nichols and mostly the Cincinnati production models from videos and specs. This link is appreciated. I did not know there were other production models. Everything I see in certain Cinc units fit my needs but I cannot see if the spindle can replicate the 50 position movements. I need to see one up close. I will be contacting some of the leads you have shown me like the link above.

WOW... the scammers are relentless. Beware everyone. Chery893 is a new member and joined today. Here is his PM he sent me.

Default Sharpe No 12 Horizontal Plain Production Milling Machine 1940 era
I purchased some items from Aristant some days ago and Sharpe No 12 Horizontal Plain Production Milling Machine 1940 era is among the items he showed me that he wanted to part out with. Maybe you should text him to know if it is still available.. Here's his number 346-306-3748

Reviving the question - WTB a 1940's Brown & Sharp No. 12 Production mill. Parts machine or running preferred. I was told 100's were used by gun makers in CT. I found a shop there that refurbished a dozen units for a mfr in WI, but I have not found any. Will pay a finder fee if you know of one??IMGP9323.jpg Here is a picture of mine.

Reviving the question - WTB a 1940's Brown & Sharp No. 12 Production mill.
K&T built exactly what you need but I bet you'll never find one - it was a cnc horizontal, but horizontal like yours, with the overarm and all that, not like a current pallet-changer horizontal. I bet they didn't make more than three.

You may have a hard time finding one exactly like yours - besides the Cincinnati that digger pointed out, there were Sundstrand Rigidmills, also production horizontals similar to the B&S.

Back