What's new
What's new

WTB cheap, light, C&C Horizontal near Indiana ~ish

Frank.H

Aluminum
Just a small joke in the title, (sorry to the serious folks :mad5:) (not actually sorry BTW)

If you have a relatively light duty, certainly non-hobby, horizontal CNC machining center near Indiana let me know. Prefer Cat-40 or QC 40(!?) but wouldn't shy away from other tapers that Maritool/Ebay stock or completely oddball tapers if fully tooled. My family would like to use my shop space and limited discretionary $ for other purposes, but with some careful rearranging I think I can fit one more machine before they take over. There are a few or more things that a horizontal really excels at. I just want it to put centers and bolt patterns into long bars, and cut super deep pockets where gravity is my friend for chip evacuation.
Let me know what all y'all have that you don't want.

-Frank.H, C&C machinist "and etc."

Maybe indicate which machines you like.

Makino xxx
Haas abc
Toyoda XYZ

Etc.

Last edited:
If "Long" means sticks out of the machine HMC probably isn't your huckleberry.

If you want to do odd shaped one off weird big stuff you need a HBM. HBM's have some tricks, but small ones aren't much use. They have so much shit going on that they get pretty big quick. My 4" with built in rotab is 60"x72"x48"x30" travels and it takes up a 20 foot square 14 feet tall by itself. Plus the 5000 lb tailstock and 1500 lbs of bars that you have to store when not using them.

Wow, first thank you for the feedback, I wish someone had a machine for sale but anyway I'm happy to have help with the words so I can search myself. Second, third and fourth:

C&C was a joke, sorry about that. It's the mis-understanding and pronunciation of CNC.....it was just a joke.

I have a big 30"x45" VMC which is what you think, I want that (CNC + 15+hp + enclosure to contain all the coolant + sliding doors to accommodate strange parts one direction + removable side panels to accommodate strange parts the other direction) but with the spindle pointed at my head instead of at the ground. I don't need 2 or 30 pallets, tables, etc. My apologies for using the HMC terminology, I think you're right I don't want an HMC.

Mud, I think I need a Horizontal Toolroom Machine (HTM), thank you for the advise. A CNC HBM is probably also right, but let's keep it under 10,000 pounds.......so let's call it an HTM. Anyone have one?

Mud, you win, I looked for a Maho and I found this PERFECT horizontal!!!!!!!!!

CNC DECKEL MAHO | eBay

Note:
For those who read this thread in 3 years, the joke is that some Ebay'er rotated their pictures 90 degrees so that their VMC looked like an HMC or HTM. Real funny today, in 20 years nobody will understand.

Thanks all'y'all.

IMG_1423.jpg
Stored in Kansas City, MO
Prolly too heavy; X and Y axis (pictured) is 7200 lbs.
Z axis (moves the pallet in and out) is another 3300 Lbs.
800 Lb. Pallet Shuttle, 1600 Lb. control,
Control Tapes, about 40 Toolholders and a Tool Pre-setter.

Nice but I think that might fail the LIGHT test.

12,000 pounds total weight would make that the lightest HMC I have ever heard of. Probably why it hasn't been scrapped. $500 in scrap is hardly worth hauling it in.

The little guys are normally around 15,000 lbs and something with 30"+ travels easily gets over 40K lbs.

I scrapped a couple of these Okumas. They were nearly 50,000 lbs each.

Attachments

• 20170227_122029.jpg
    20170227_122029.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 78
12,000 pounds total weight would make that the lightest HMC I have ever heard of.
That's a K&T 180. C control PDP-8, probably worth more than the rest of the machine to old computer collectors. The spindle drives blow up in a spectacular manner. It doesn't weigh as much as described, but it's still not small.

Except for the cellcon, anything I can think of is going to have a control too old to maintain. A 104 ExCellO would be very nice but Bendix 5. CimX 720 would be good but a little big and an NC control. There should be some small Jap stuff with like a Fanuc 6 ? K&T imported a 12" table Ikegai at one time, something in that range ? Cincinnati H40 is pretty good for hbm type work and not that heavy but still big for a garage. And the control has nixie tubes for a display, if that tells you anything. Could be done tho and people have retroed those.

Maybe CellCon is what he should be looking for.

After further review, something like a Haas ES-5 is what I'm after. From what I can see it's "a VMC with the spindle facing the other way", 14k pounds. The K&T is probably too cheap, I'd need to be paid a lot to drag it away. I'll keep my eyes out but as far as I can tell what I'm looking for isn't very common. Actually thinking maybe I should buy another VMC and make a head for it that holds the spindle 90 degrees different.

Thninking more on this, yes, the cellcon would be best.
Pre Engineered Production Machining Centers | CellCon

You wanted to work on the ends of long shafts, the table does not move at all.

The spindle does all the moving.

IIRC the "toolchanger" was just 6-8 (website shows 12 now) tools hanging above the work on plastic hangers, the spindle traversed up
to a location, unclamped the tool, went to the next and clamped the drawbar to load it.

Heck, you could cut a small hole in the wall for the shaft to stick out, for very long work.

Back