What's new
What's new

WTB Deckel single lip cutter grinder

Some years ago, I got a good deal on an Alexander grinder on eBay. Alexander made a high quality UK copy of the Deckel SO that uses the Deckel collets. Some people are not aware of Alexander, which may keep the price lower. When I got mine, there was a USA dealer who sold me a replacement round braided belt.

Alexander & Deckel Tool & Cutter Grinders

Larry

Third high-grade near-as-dammit duplicate was Gorton .. which then spun-off the grinders as "Lars". I do NOT know if the collets were all alike, but the grinders were so nearly identical I CALL them "Deckel-Alexander-Gorton-Lars" meself.

Grade not known to me are Taiwanese and mainland Chinese copies.
I think I'd rather have a bad case of poison ivy, but they are at least brand-new and unworn, so SOMEBODY buys them. Even if only to tide them over until they can find one of the "originals" in good condition?

Third high-grade near-as-dammit duplicate was Gorton .. which then spun-off the grinders as "Lars". I do NOT know if the collets were all alike, but the grinders were so nearly identical I CALL them "Deckel-Alexander-Gorton-Lars" meself.

Grade not known to me are Taiwanese and mainland Chinese copies.
I think I'd rather have a bad case of poison ivy, but they are at least brand-new and unworn, so SOMEBODY buys them. Even if only to tide them over until they can find one of the "originals" in good condition?

I am sure Gorton made good equipment, but their cutter grinder takes 4NS collets, which are hard to find at low prices and very expensive new from Hardinge. I had no trouble finding good used Deckel collets for my Alexander grinder on eBay. I even got lucky and found a Deckel collet with a no. 1 B&S taper hole for my Green engraver cutters.

The Chinese grinder sellers also have Chinese copies of Deckel collets pretty cheap, but I do not have any of the Chinese collets and cannot say if they are well made. And I do not need to buy any.

Larry

I may do this as well. I thought I was old and rich enough to afford the real thing but I am incorrigibly cheap.

LOL! Surely you do not think you have any sort of PATENT on that?

It ain't the cost of the high-grade machine-tools we might use only once in a great while....

It's the cost of the damned land and the larger BUILDING it takes to support tooling-whore-gluttony we are trying to cheap-out on!

:)

LOL! Surely you do not think you have any sort of PATENT on that?

It ain't the cost of the high-grade machine-tools we might use only once in a great while....

It's the cost of the damned land and the larger BUILDING it takes to support tooling-whore-gluttony we are trying to cheap-out on!

:)

All true unfortunately. My pile of junk would make a rational person weep.

Back