What's new
What's new

WTB Entry-level Lathe $3,000 budget

Torpedoklr

Plastic
E6CCE721-7873-499C-9C6F-673CC29FBA89.jpgMy shop burned in the Camp Fire. The equipment I lost is not allowed to be mentioned on this forum. I currently operate as a captive shop but need to transition to job shop; new circumstances require me to earn profit.

I am limping along with a $600 lathe that is worthless - I’ll struggle to produce the small brass parts I need today - would never dare to attempt a commercial project.

On the upside, we are beginning to ship product again so money is coming in (slowly). My new shop is single-phase power. I’m in California. I’ll want the ability to machine steel which requires power and rigidity beyond my old lathe.

Size is not important, I’ll chase the work that fits my equipment. I just need an entry-level lathe for a job shop start-up.

Thanks,
Brett

Last edited:
View attachment 252869My shop burned in the Camp Fire. The equipment I lost is not allowed to be mentioned on this forum. I currently operate as a captive shop but need to transition to job shop; new circumstances require me to earn profit.

I am limping along with a $600 lathe that is worthless - I’ll struggle to produce the small brass parts I need today - would never dare to attempt a commercial project.

On the upside, we are beginning to ship product again so money is coming in (slowly). My new shop is single-phase power. I’m in California. I’ll want the ability to machine steel which requires power and rigidity beyond my old lathe.

Size is not important, I’ll chase the work that fits my equipment. I just need an entry-level lathe for a job shop start-up.

Thanks,
Brett

404 Not Found

Or a Rockwell 14 inch. That is what I have, good machine.I tried to sell it once, not even a nibble. So I sold my SB heavy 10 for $2500.00 Sometimes I don't understand people. I could have sold that SB ten times over.

I wouldn't turn down a 3-phase machine. Up to 5hp, a Variable Frequency drive VFD would work.

I wouldn't turn down a 3-phase machine. Up to 5hp, a Variable Frequency drive VFD would work.

What he said.

In the smaller (i.e. you can get them into a home shop) machines, three-phase power is a downside for the seller, as three-phase scares off the home shop crowd.

Get yourself a rotary phase converter that can run a couple of machines, or a VFD to run one machine, and you can recoup some of that expense buying three-phase machines nobody else wants.

One machinery dealer wrote in his catalog "All machines are three phase, single phase available for $100 extra".

Steve

As to what machine to get, whatever size you think you need, you will need larger. You don't want an existing client for whom you are making parts on a 9" south bend to come at you with a 10" part you can't make - you will lose that new business and possibly the old business.

Here's my take, and the advice is free, so you get what you pay for:

South Bend heavy 10 - can take a cut about ten times what you were using, but they are popular and can be overpriced. Parts availability is good on ebay, but pricey.

Logan - the 11" and larger Logans take 5C collets and they don't have the following that South Bend has, but they are every bit as good a machine, and when you look at the specs, in some respects better.

Sheldon - Sheldon is the Rodney Dangerfield of smaller industrial lathes, they don't get any respect. The Sheldons in the size class of the South Bend heavy 10 have more cross slide, compound and tailstock travel and take MT3 in the tailstock. I would consider them to be a superior machine to the heavy 10.

Rockwell / Delta - some have mentioned these, and they are nice machines and have variable speed drives on some models.

Parts availability on the non-South Bend lathes can be iffy, so be sure that it comes with whatever you need or think you need, because you may not find it later.

Whatever you get, be sure it takes 5C collets. Besides the fact that the collets are cheap and you can't spit at ebay without hitting a 5C collet, it also means that you have a 1-3/8" spindle thru hole, so you will waste less material than if you had to do 1" pieces on a lathe with a 7/8" thru hole, like a South Bend 9 or a Logan 10.

Steve

Id 2nd Cole2534. Might be a little big for your needs but the starting price is right. Hard bed and 18speed.

I kinda rescind my comment about them not being beginner lathes, they're great learning machines. The clutch makes it easy to feather into spindle speeds, they're stiff enough to take a cut and not wander about, they'll go as slow as you want, and they'll be damn accurate to boot.

You don't even have to use all the available HP if you don't want to, if you set it up on a VFD that allows you to limit current output you'd have some level of safety built in. You can also do an e-stop switch that way.

Hell, now I might bid on them....

I have a nice American Turnmaster,good shape,runs good and accurate with travadial.looking for 4000.I am in upstate ny

I have a nice American Turnmaster,good shape,runs good and accurate with travadial.looking for 4000.I am in upstate ny

Why not post the shipping charges that must be borne by the OP ?

You have the camp fire address.

Get a shipping quote and post away.

You could call up Bob Kroha at Performance Machine in Fremont. He's a pretty straight guy and might know of something ... If this is for work, you might be able to find a 13" LeBlond or Clausing Colchester. Those are both pretty nice.

And start going to auctions ....

Bought! I hope to pick up my “new” lathe Monday.

You have all been so generous and helpful, I am grateful. It refuels my optimism knowing you will be here when I start looking for a mill.

Brett

Back