What's new
What's new

WTB: Gear head drill press with power feed and coolant

Whetstone

Cast Iron
I have to make a bunch of spacers from 3" thick aluminum and each one need 5 1" diameter holes drilled in each one. I dont look forward to doing this on a bridgeport so am looking for a larger gearhead drill press. I would like to find a machine that has power down feed and coolant plumbed. Budget is around $1000, much more than that and Ill spring for the small Alzmetall radial drill that is local. the closer to RI the better

I have to make a bunch of spacers from 3" thick aluminum and each one need 5 1" diameter holes drilled in each one. I dont look forward to doing this on a bridgeport so am looking for a larger gearhead drill press. I would like to find a machine that has power down feed and coolant plumbed. Budget is around $1000, much more than that and Ill spring for the small Alzmetall radial drill that is local. the closer to RI the better

Unless you have space for a T Rex of even a SMALL radial, don't waste yer time. Just be grateful the Alzmetall isn't as close to ME as it is to YOU and go buy it.

They are about as good as 'conventional' DP's get for cranking out one hole right after another, even in real metal.

Bill

Unless you have space for a T Rex of even a SMALL radial, don't waste yer time. Just be grateful the Alzmetall isn't as close to ME as it is to YOU and go buy it.

They are about as good as 'conventional' DP's get for cranking out one hole right after another, even in real metal.

Bill

I'll have to see what they come down to on it. It's listed for $3500, which is more than I want to spend, and it's not like I drill big holes often even though I have the space.

I'll have to see what they come down to on it. It's listed for $3500, which is more than I want to spend, and it's not like I drill big holes often even though I have the space.

Oh, they do SMALL holes as well. Even faster.

:)

Been tracking 'em for a year or three now. Haven't seen any worth the bother of relocating for less than $2500 - $3000, anywhere in the US.

Just run an eBay search on "Alzmetall", business & industrial, no other descriptors. Quick enough.

Bill

I have a Cincinnati horizontal that I'll probably end up using if I can't find a decent drill. That guy will have power feed and coolant. Just need to find a nmtb50 to morse taper #3 tool holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

granted the 3" thick part kinda sucks but have you looked into annular cutters with a 3" DOC? someone has to have something out there, or maybe drill a little over 1.5" flip and finish the hole? if you can find something to reference off of simply enough that is.
just thinking outside the box here a little.
then again, if you do take the trip down to pick up that arborga from Mebfab i'm only a few hours south so come down for the night, you're welcome to crash at the shop or house.

If I was doing this job there are two machine tools in my shop I would use (neither are for sale). I have not checked but both machines are lesser known brands and can be had reasonable.

Assuming I have a drill fixture with hardened drill bushings I would use one of my Johansson Drill presses. They have built in coolant, gear drive heads, power down feed (Separate Motor) and the best part is with a center column pivot and air clamping they are easy to operate.

Assuming I would have to position each hole using a mill I would use my Gorton 2-30. Mine has a power quill and built in coolant. It's plenty beefy with a 5hp main motor. It's no faster than a Bridgeport in X-Y positioning but with variable spindle speed and variable down feed it's a much better machine for drilling (and milling).

I also have a couple of standard configured Radial Drills but I really couldn't see where using one on a multiple hole part would be all that easy since both have manual clamping.

Walter

Back