What's new
What's new

WTB: J&L #5 x 4 1/2

FirstEliminator

Cast Iron
Hey guys,

Looking for a Jones and Lamson turret lathe. Specifically I'd like a #5 x 4-1/2. It seems I am always a day late and a dollar short. A day late and hear "aww, we just scrapped two of them". A dollar short on the ones on e-bay. People ask why do you want one of those? I don't know, I have an iron deficiency I guess.

If you know of one collecting dust, let me know. I'm in North Adams, Massachusetts. Something located in the northeast would be good.

thanks,
Mark
413-663-3336
[email protected]

Hi Doug,

I see they have a 5 and a 7. 7 is too big. The 5 is missing a hand wheel and who knows what else? I'm a little scared of HGR stuff. Although the 5 does have a few attachments and the auto bar feed.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Mark

Does it need to be a J&L or would a Warner&Swasey square head do? A buddy of mine has been trying to sell a couple of #3's and a #5. All really well tooled, chucks, collets, bar feeders, turret tooling ect., and in really excellent condition. Let me know if you want more info or pics. Located in Providence.

J&L has been what I'm fixated on. A New England thing I guess. Gotta have tools built in New England. I like Ohio stuff too. But, I've been collecting J&L odds and ends for a while. Now, I need a machine.

If I had steady turret lathe work, I'd go for the WS. But, once in a blue moon for my own personal museum of living life in another era I ought to stay on the path for a J&L.

thanks for the reply,
Mark

I completely get it. I've run a few of each, as well as Gisholt. I can't really say that Warner & Swasey is an altogether better machine, all three brands were built rock solid and are very capable. Warner maybe pulled ahead toward the end of their production in the early 70's with some pretty neat bells and whistles, I'm not as familiar with the latter J&L's and Gisholts, but basically I'd consider it a personal preference kind of thing. I've always loved the old Bullard vertical turrets as well.
Good luck with your hunt.

Hey guys,

Still looking for a J&L #5x4-1/2 or 7x4-1/2. Not for any particular need, perhaps just to scratch an itch.

There is decent 5x3 with bar feed for a reasonable price at HGR. Temped, but if I buy one, might as well go for the biggest spindle hole available.

thanks,
Mark
[email protected]

I had an 8A-5 with the full enchilada barfeed. It really wasn't all that big. 10K lbs of gitter done. Sold it for $600 to be used as a cutoff device for aluminum tubing.

I have a J&L book, not sure what year. The machine models go from 7 to 9 not showing a model 8. I'd expect the 8 to be somewhere in between. At $600 it probably wouldn't be cost prohibitive to ship it across the country. Something should come up again. Living in the rust belt. There should be something within a day.

Mine was WWII. Crazy how well built they are. I mean they have all the beef and HP, but they were very well thought out like a Jap CNC. The way covers were really cool and still working after 70+ years. Can't say that about too many machines.

I really wish J&L made an engine lathe just like their big bed type turret lathes. Give me the J&L headstock, carriage and ways with the tailstock from an Axelson and the feedworks from a Pacemaker. That would be something to behold!

hey guys not to hi jack your thread but what is the deal with HGR? I have never heard of them before and was wondering about their rep.
any imput?
BTW originally from Cranston

hey guys not to hi jack your thread but what is the deal with HGR? I have never heard of them before and was wondering about their rep.
any imput?
BTW originally from Cranston

Been written about several times here. Please search the archives.

BTW where is your location ?

Back