What's new
What's new

WTB K&T Model H dividing head

WTB K&T Model H dividing head. Preference given to DH's with tailstock, plates and other accessories. Located in 99301 Pasco, WA, probably gonna have to ship. 19yo looking for a DH to do repair work and some helical gear milling, I have the mill just need a dividing head. Rusty, dusty, grimy and dirty are perfectly acceptable, but I won't pay as much when compared to a nice one. Thank you for looking

No helical milling without the gear train driving the DH from the table screw.

Model H came in two sizes like so

Standard equipment on Universal K&T Model H mills

Attachments

• KTH DH 01.jpg
    KTH DH 01.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 123
  • KTH DH 02.jpg
    KTH DH 02.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 126
  • KTH DH 03.jpg
    KTH DH 03.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 124
I've got a 10" model K. No tailstock, 50 taper spindle, both standard plates (double sided) for $600.

I would certainly help this young guy out, I see his adds about, he is going after it.
The brochure has some interesting information, such as the common acceptable tolerance of one minute of arc, problem with plain bearing dividing heads, and K&T mounting the dividing head on the right side of the table.

No helical milling without the gear train driving the DH from the table screw.

Model H came in two sizes like so

Standard equipment on Universal K&T Model H mills

I think I'm going to make the banjo for the lead attachment. Unless I can find one for an absolute steal, I can't really justify putting the money into it. The dividing head, however... I can justify the dividing head. I may just make the gears, or modify common lathe change gears to suit. Would make for a good learning experience

I think I'm going to make the banjo for the lead attachment. Unless I can find one for an absolute steal, I can't really justify putting the money into it. The dividing head, however... I can justify the dividing head. I may just make the gears, or modify common lathe change gears to suit. Would make for a good learning experience

I made a banjo for my 2hl universal and adapted some gears to drive my model H dividing head...I made the banjo with my K&T tool and die mill and used the banjo and gears until I found a once in a lifetime almost complete in the crate low lead attachment with all the gear sets......Bear in mind that if you decide to get a model K, it takes a foot stock peculiar to the model K unit... I think the ten and twelve inch "k" have the same offset from center line but the fourteen inch "k" has more of an offset....

well,is this comparable to the k&t?i assume its chinese,but don't see markings

Attachments

• IMG_1022.jpg
    IMG_1022.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 120
well,is this comparable to the k&t?i assume its chinese,but don't see markings
Sadly it isn't comparable, K&T dividing heads were special made and had a different design. That and they can be driven to make helical/spiral gears. No idea on the make on that dividing head

B&S Trunnion style in the same upright attitude.

Plain to see its "drive" is installed and pointing at us

Shot from B&S's Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines

I think in the photos above that you can see some of the small bevel gear that the "drive" engages with - when it is installed

Attachments

• 20191231_125350_050.jpg
    20191231_125350_050.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 104
B&S Trunnion style in the same upright attitude.

Plain to see its "drive" is installed and pointing at us

Shot from B&S's Practical Treatise on Milling and Milling Machines

I think in the photos above that you can see some of the small bevel gear that the "drive" engages with - when it is installed

so mine is a copy of b&s?? or?...thanks,pat i really don't use this-got it and other stuff in a package deal..

Ok, the B&S shown has an incomplete external drive. There is a housing with a shaft and gear missing, as well as a cover.

Just a note: Even with a full set of low lead gears for the Kearney and Trecker dividing head, one cannot get the EXACT lead needed.. In my experience, the lead needed falls in between two options so if you plan on making your gears, keep this in mind..Happy New Year.. Ramsay 1:)

Attachments

• Helix Angle To Suit Center Distance.jpg
    Helix Angle To Suit Center Distance.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Helical Math A.jpg
    Helical Math A.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 71

Attachments

• 00X0X_lQW4pujDSGC_600x450.jpg
    00X0X_lQW4pujDSGC_600x450.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 00F0F_ajHdrH9BJ8Z_1200x900.jpg