What's new
What's new

WTB Lathe in NC/VA area (+-250 miles)

teemfan93

Cast Iron
Looking to add a lathe to the shop after a bit of reshuffling.

I've got my eye on a few at auction but wanted to see what else is out there before jumping on any one in particular. I am located in NC, not far from Durham. Willing to travel within a few hundred miles and I've also got family up in Winchester VA I visit often.

I am looking to spend somewhere around 5-6k, for the right machine. Preferences would be something like a monarch, hardinge, or similar smaller lathe. Not looking to go bigger than about 30" between centers, would possibly consider 40". My preference is a machine with a DRO, but that's not a requirement.

Bumping this up one more time to see if I missed anything before deciding on a machine. There are a couple of nice machines out there, both at auction and private sale.

I hope you bought that nice looking 13x30 Monarch series 61. It went dirt cheap at $1000.

I hope you bought that nice looking 13x30 Monarch series 61. It went dirt cheap at $1000.

I am kicking myself for missing the end of that auction. I had the tab open but ran off to a meeting and forgot about it. That was a steal.

I am kicking myself for missing the end of that auction. I had the tab open but ran off to a meeting and forgot about it. That was a steal.

Good luck ever finding that deal again. I'm sure you'll find a nice South Bend.

The 20x48 series 61 went for $800.

You guys will get another chance at this machine. It will show up somewhere listed for $11K. Home and small shop users rarely come across these opportunities. Dealers seem to have the inside scoop.

You guys will get another chance at this machine. It will show up somewhere listed for $11K.

And it will be listed at that price for 10+ years, to remind OP each time he searches.

Home shop guys are rarely willing to move quickly enough on any inspection, getting registered, bidding, making payment according to terms and hauling the machine on schedule. It is reasonable to pay a premium when someone else does that work and takes all the risk, allows inspection under power, etc.

Finding them just takes consistent boring effort. And it is boring, and it is effort. The best deals often happen when you least want to deal with it - spring break, first gorgeous day of spring, blizzard, lousy location, awful terms, etc. I gave the OP plenty of notice via PM on those machines.

I have a hardinge chucker, well/tooled, been thinking about parting with.
PM me if you are interested in seeing it.45 min north of raleigh.

Wayne

Sending this back up - still have my eye out for something. Search took a backburner for a few months but ready again to find one.

Got something a bit larger but I’m not asking too much. 14x48 (I think) American pacemaker 1973.
2af7be86a7c0a9a44557d374ed1406d7.jpg

Back