WTB-Monarch 10EE or Rivett 1020 or 1030
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default WTB-Monarch 10EE or Rivett 1020 or 1030

    Hello, first post here but I've been reading for several years and recently signed up.

    I'm looking for a 10EE or possibly a Rivett 1020/1030 if I can find one. I have three lathes now so I'm not in a hurry but this is just something I've wanted for a while.

    If you have something you're looking to sell please drop me a message. As the name says I'm in Indiana but I'm willing to travel a bit for the right machine. Probably not to the coasts but definitely around the Midwest and upper south.

    Thanks,
    Tim

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Imlay City, Michigan
    Posts
    2,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    124
    Likes (Received)
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim in Indiana View Post
    Hello, first post here but I've been reading for several years and recently signed up.

    I'm looking for a 10EE or possibly a Rivett 1020/1030 if I can find one. I have three lathes now so I'm not in a hurry but this is just something I've wanted for a while.

    If you have something you're looking to sell please drop me a message. As the name says I'm in Indiana but I'm willing to travel a bit for the right machine. Probably not to the coasts but definitely around the Midwest and upper south.

    Thanks,
    Tim
    You didn’t say what your looking for in a 10ee, turnkey or a project, somewhere in between?

    I have a 1957 10ee that needs a drive retrofit?

    Kevin

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    89

    Default

    There is a 10ee for sale on the Las vegas Craigslist tool section. The seller is a friend of mine.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsg View Post
    You didn’t say what your looking for in a 10ee, turnkey or a project, somewhere in between?

    I have a 1957 10ee that needs a drive retrofit?

    Kevin
    Good point, I would take either. I would prefer not to get as deep as a bed regrind but for the right price I would consider it. Drive retro would be considered. I'll send you a pm.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lectrician1 View Post
    There is a 10ee for sale on the Las vegas Craigslist tool section. The seller is a friend of mine.
    That's a nice looking machine. Probably a bit over what I'm looking to spend when you add in transportation to look at it and get it back to Indiana. But it sure looks great.

    Tim

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    18,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    11646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim in Indiana View Post
    Hello, first post here but I've been reading for several years and recently signed up.

    I'm looking for a 10EE or possibly a Rivett 1020/1030 if I can find one. I have three lathes now so I'm not in a hurry but this is just something I've wanted for a while.

    If you have something you're looking to sell please drop me a message. As the name says I'm in Indiana but I'm willing to travel a bit for the right machine. Probably not to the coasts but definitely around the Midwest and upper south.

    Thanks,
    Tim
    Good lathes, but you might want to add a Hendey Tool & Guage (nominal 9") or a Smart & Brown to your potentials list. They are also very good, and have a fair bit of representation on PM already as to restorations & c.

    As to 10EE, besides the usual "condition, condition, condition", I'm OK with my earlier build "round" dials, but.... a "square dial" will get you significant improvements in threading, avoid a sometimes problematic thread/feed selector, as well as move you into a later build era.

    Monarch Lathe has FAR more comprehensive parts support for the square-dial as well.

    "Technically" they are even still in production. Just not at the prices that prevailed "back in the day"!

    Even so, as they are (re)built fully to AS NEW specifications, they remain competitive for "all manual" super-precision lathes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    13
    Likes (Received)
    89

    Default

    probably get that shipped for around 500 to indiana. 300 for round trip airfare to vegas.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Good lathes, but you might want to add a Hendey Tool & Guage (nominal 9") or a Smart & Brown to your potentials list. They are also very good, and have a fair bit of representation on PM already as to restorations & c.

    As to 10EE, besides the usual "condition, condition, condition", I'm OK with my earlier build "round" dials, but.... a "square dial" will get you significant improvements in threading, avoid a sometimes problematic thread/feed selector, as well as move you into a later build era.

    Monarch Lathe has FAR more comprehensive parts support for the square-dial as well.

    "Technically" they are even still in production. Just not at the prices that prevailed "back in the day"!

    Even so, as they are (re)built fully to AS NEW specifications, they remain competitive for "all manual" super-precision lathes.

    Thermite,
    I agree with your suggestions 100%. I would also like to add a DSG or the South Bend private label version of that to the list. But compared to the 10EE the availability of both the machine and parts (if needed) favor the Monarch. I really would like a DSG and the Smart & Brown looks to be very capable.

    I'm open for any of these if anyone has something available.

    Tim

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    18,922
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    11646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim in Indiana View Post
    Thermite,
    I agree with your suggestions 100%. I would also like to add a DSG or the South Bend private label version of that to the list. But compared to the 10EE the availability of both the machine and parts (if needed) favor the Monarch. I really would like a DSG and the Smart & Brown looks to be very capable.

    I'm open for any of these if anyone has something available.

    Tim
    Not only are DS&G rare, most later models of Smart & Brown can actually be the better lathe.

    10EE's have become far easer to "power" than once was the case, given Sundstrand hydraulc drive, plus every OEM DC drive version ever made has now had several successful rebuilds.

    The VERY under-powered "wish-for" 180 VDC class DC Drives have been documented AS such.

    Both FULL power capable single-Phase and 3-Phase solid-state have either been repaired despite great age, or one or more actually VIABLE present-day production replacements also vetted.

    Five or six 10EE, not just Macona's one, have also left evidence that servo's can be applied to good avail.

    It is still a PITA that almost all available 10EE only have 20" c-to-c, and almost all anywhere near "affordable" are rather badly worn.

    Age thing, really.

    The 10EE actually has an uncommonly LOW real rate of wear, can still make right decent parts even when in dreadfully worn condition.

    So, yes, it is "on the shortlist", maybe even at the top, and with a gap before #2 & subsequent look as attractive.

    Even so...

    "condition, condition...." etc.

    Annnnd ... it isn't as if you can never part with a machine tool and try a different one, going forward.

    You could.. even become a machinery dealer who didn't mind slow "turnover". Because he got to play with lots more choices of more interesting "stuff" and sell-it-off if/as/when bored or dissappointed.

    Kinda like "Test Pilot" in a brothel.... but without the social ostracism and only slighty greater legal hassles and money wasted as a dealer in machinery?


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salinas, CA USA
    Posts
    4,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    439
    Likes (Received)
    344

    Default

    Also, don't overlook a larger Monarch. I don't have the space, but if I did, my second lathe would be a model 62 with the short bed. They often sell for about the same price as a 10ee.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Moscow,Idaho,USA
    Posts
    1,363
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1582
    Likes (Received)
    665


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •