What's new
What's new

WTB-Monarch 10EE or Rivett 1020 or 1030

Tim in Indiana

Plastic
Hello, first post here but I've been reading for several years and recently signed up.

I'm looking for a 10EE or possibly a Rivett 1020/1030 if I can find one. I have three lathes now so I'm not in a hurry but this is just something I've wanted for a while.

If you have something you're looking to sell please drop me a message. As the name says I'm in Indiana but I'm willing to travel a bit for the right machine. Probably not to the coasts but definitely around the Midwest and upper south.

Thanks,
Tim

Hello, first post here but I've been reading for several years and recently signed up.

I'm looking for a 10EE or possibly a Rivett 1020/1030 if I can find one. I have three lathes now so I'm not in a hurry but this is just something I've wanted for a while.

If you have something you're looking to sell please drop me a message. As the name says I'm in Indiana but I'm willing to travel a bit for the right machine. Probably not to the coasts but definitely around the Midwest and upper south.

Thanks,
Tim

You didn’t say what your looking for in a 10ee, turnkey or a project, somewhere in between?

I have a 1957 10ee that needs a drive retrofit?

Kevin

You didn’t say what your looking for in a 10ee, turnkey or a project, somewhere in between?

I have a 1957 10ee that needs a drive retrofit?

Kevin

Good point, I would take either. I would prefer not to get as deep as a bed regrind but for the right price I would consider it. Drive retro would be considered. I'll send you a pm.

There is a 10ee for sale on the Las vegas Craigslist tool section. The seller is a friend of mine.

That's a nice looking machine. Probably a bit over what I'm looking to spend when you add in transportation to look at it and get it back to Indiana. But it sure looks great.

Tim

Thanks,
Tim

Good lathes, but you might want to add a Hendey Tool & Guage (nominal 9") or a Smart & Brown to your potentials list. They are also very good, and have a fair bit of representation on PM already as to restorations & c.

As to 10EE, besides the usual "condition, condition, condition", I'm OK with my earlier build "round" dials, but.... a "square dial" will get you significant improvements in threading, avoid a sometimes problematic thread/feed selector, as well as move you into a later build era.

Monarch Lathe has FAR more comprehensive parts support for the square-dial as well.

"Technically" they are even still in production. Just not at the prices that prevailed "back in the day"!

Even so, as they are (re)built fully to AS NEW specifications, they remain competitive for "all manual" super-precision lathes.

Good lathes, but you might want to add a Hendey Tool & Guage (nominal 9") or a Smart & Brown to your potentials list. They are also very good, and have a fair bit of representation on PM already as to restorations & c.

As to 10EE, besides the usual "condition, condition, condition", I'm OK with my earlier build "round" dials, but.... a "square dial" will get you significant improvements in threading, avoid a sometimes problematic thread/feed selector, as well as move you into a later build era.

Monarch Lathe has FAR more comprehensive parts support for the square-dial as well.

"Technically" they are even still in production. Just not at the prices that prevailed "back in the day"!

Even so, as they are (re)built fully to AS NEW specifications, they remain competitive for "all manual" super-precision lathes.

Thermite,
I agree with your suggestions 100%. I would also like to add a DSG or the South Bend private label version of that to the list. But compared to the 10EE the availability of both the machine and parts (if needed) favor the Monarch. I really would like a DSG and the Smart & Brown looks to be very capable.

I'm open for any of these if anyone has something available.

Tim

Thermite,
I agree with your suggestions 100%. I would also like to add a DSG or the South Bend private label version of that to the list. But compared to the 10EE the availability of both the machine and parts (if needed) favor the Monarch. I really would like a DSG and the Smart & Brown looks to be very capable.

I'm open for any of these if anyone has something available.

Tim

Not only are DS&G rare, most later models of Smart & Brown can actually be the better lathe.

10EE's have become far easer to "power" than once was the case, given Sundstrand hydraulc drive, plus every OEM DC drive version ever made has now had several successful rebuilds.

The VERY under-powered "wish-for" 180 VDC class DC Drives have been documented AS such.

Both FULL power capable single-Phase and 3-Phase solid-state have either been repaired despite great age, or one or more actually VIABLE present-day production replacements also vetted.

Five or six 10EE, not just Macona's one, have also left evidence that servo's can be applied to good avail.

It is still a PITA that almost all available 10EE only have 20" c-to-c, and almost all anywhere near "affordable" are rather badly worn.

Age thing, really.

The 10EE actually has an uncommonly LOW real rate of wear, can still make right decent parts even when in dreadfully worn condition.

So, yes, it is "on the shortlist", maybe even at the top, and with a gap before #2 & subsequent look as attractive.

Even so...

"condition, condition...." etc.

Annnnd ... it isn't as if you can never part with a machine tool and try a different one, going forward.

You could.. even become a machinery dealer who didn't mind slow "turnover". Because he got to play with lots more choices of more interesting "stuff" and sell-it-off if/as/when bored or dissappointed.

Kinda like "Test Pilot" in a brothel.... but without the social ostracism and only slighty greater legal hassles and money wasted as a dealer in machinery?

:D

Also, don't overlook a larger Monarch. I don't have the space, but if I did, my second lathe would be a model 62 with the short bed. They often sell for about the same price as a 10ee.

Back