What's new
What's new

WTB: Motor for Bridgeport Vari Head Clone Mill {Alliant}

Kawgomoo

Cast Iron
Hey all.

Kid down the street from me picked up a mill from the ever so shady BAE {DoD Govt Contractors}, they sold him quite the stinker.

This is an Alliant Vertical Turret Mill/Knee Mill/Bridgeport Clone. Variable Speed Head. Single Speed Motor. Looks to be 2 or 3hp. The motor ID plate is scrubbed totally clean.

2-3Hp. 220v 3ph. {208-230v is fine} Needs to have the long shaft for the variable sheeve. Spacing from bottom of motor plate to bottom of fixed sheeve is just over 3/4 of an inch. So i don't think "Bridgeport" style motors with the fins on the bottom will fit.

Let me know what you've got. Im just trying to help this kid out. He runs a small home shop, trying to add some capability and got burned BAD on this piece of cra......i mean equipment.

Thanks!

[email protected]

Em ..
turn a spigot of 0.02 mm undersize for the motor shaft, minus keyways.
Of any length and size you feel right.
Put a key on it, or a crosswise screw.

Run motor near any grinder and turn off a key if it cannot be removed.
Heat new spigot to 100C, can be handled with oven gloves.
Slip on, leave, done.

No ?? ..

Hey all.

Kid down the street from me picked up a mill from the ever so shady BAE {DoD Govt Contractors}, they sold him quite the stinker.

This is an Alliant Vertical Turret Mill/Knee Mill/Bridgeport Clone. Variable Speed Head. Single Speed Motor. Looks to be 2 or 3hp. The motor ID plate is scrubbed totally clean.

2-3Hp. 220v 3ph. {208-230v is fine} Needs to have the long shaft for the variable sheeve. Spacing from bottom of motor plate to bottom of fixed sheeve is just over 3/4 of an inch. So i don't think "Bridgeport" style motors with the fins on the bottom will fit.

Let me know what you've got. Im just trying to help this kid out. He runs a small home shop, trying to add some capability and got burned BAD on this piece of cra......i mean equipment.

Thanks!

[email protected]

Em ..

No ?? ..

Extending motor shaft for varispeed sheeves is always a bit dodgy. Unless you get it dead nuts with a really good shrink fit things tend to wabble'n wallow apart. Not the sort of thing I like as a one off job. Commercial line after a few to work the bugs out is different of course. Reeves drives are hard on out of line shafts for fairly obvious reasons.

If its killed the motor the odds on the varidrive being decent are not good?

Take leaf out of adama's book and slap a decently powerful VFD driven motor on with single speed belt drive. 6 pole 3 HP or 8 pole 2 HP will be more than adequate. 8 pole power will hold up better at lower rpm on larger cutters but probably shouldn't be take over 2,500 rpm on a regular basis. 6 pole 2 HP ought to be satisfactory really.

Do it once, do it right, do it standard off the shelf if you possibly can.

Clive

Its not my machine, i wouldn't really feel comfortable going all experimental on it and cutting up a good rotor/armature to harvest the shaft {i don't want to make things worse instead of better for him}. Looks to me like they had it wired for 220v and plugged it into a 480 source.... The top bearing is crusty for sure...but not THAT crusty. Doing some research the seller clearly had it hooked to 480v mains....and all the coils show continuity to ground. Though there are no signs of excessive wear or even use on the rest of the machine. Improper storage could have easily been the culprit for the crusty bearing, water ingress etc. Out here in Arizona machines tend to get left outdoors "because it never rains" :/ *sigh*

Repair the motor !! If in Phoenix area there is a motor shop in 51st Ave & Missouri area,can't think of the name offhand. My tool dealer friend used them with good results.

I think you are talking about "Run em again motors". I do not know them to rewind anything, from what i understand they just sell replacement motors and do basic repairs. I do plan on calling them on monday to confirm. Though the prices I've seen thrown around are 800-1500 to repair a motor like this, that will definitely be out of the kids budget. I can get a new replacement from over seas for about 600....which is still a very tough pill for that young man to swallow. But sometimes, there is just no cheap way out of your mistakes. We've all learned this, it might be time he got his education in "Good Deals".... The motor shop i used to use out here went under. I actually bought a lathe from their auction, and thats when i met the Run Em Again guys....

Price up the VFD option before going too far with sourcing a proper motor. Something like the Eaton DE11 variable speed starter ought to be up for the job and, in the UK at least, are barely half the price of a normal VFD. No snazzy display, bring your own switches and speed pot but it will get the job done. Simple print out label for the speed pot is enough. Heck last time I used that sort of thing I just had a skirt numbered 1 to 12 on the knob and a rpm table stuck close by.

Use whatever 2 HP (ish) flange mount motor, belts and pulleys that can be found at "$ very reasonable" or even "free if you haul" to get up'n running. Make list of what he really needs and be patient.

Clive

The mill already has a VFD drive on it i have no clue why people keep bringing this up.

There is no provision to adjust the motor position/belt tension as the spring sheeve/variator on the drive motor accomplishes this. It seems like undertaking a backwards retrofit approach would take up a lot of my time that I'm not getting paid for, and is well outside of my comfort zone. If it were my own machine, i would just buy a new motor and be done with it.....but alas. It aint. Just trying to help the guy find a suitable motor within his budget. If he wants to undertake a retro/conversion....he is going to have to walk that road himself.

Jholland i sent you a PM.

We called around the valley today and got estimates from 300-850 to rewind the one we got. Im not really sure why the disparity in price, but less pricey than i had feared. Still more than he's enthused about spending. lol. But life lessons are rarely cheap ;)

bp motors

see pics

shipping--buyer arranges
recommend taking measurements of Alliant motor, adding 2 inches to height, width, depth, then weigh motor and add 15 lbs for my shipping crate weight

use dimensions and weight to get shipping estimate from your package service--ups preferred ships from 98532

pics show sheave rust--you will need to clean or possibly swap your mechanism

alliant motors were usually 3 hp--if you want to proceed with sale--provide weight and dimensions and flange mount thru hole radial and chordal dimensions

jh

Attachments

• 100_2209.jpg
    100_2209.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_2210.jpg
    100_2210.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 143
  • 100_2211.jpg
    100_2211.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 121
  • 100_2212.jpg
    100_2212.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 100_2213.jpg
    100_2213.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 104
New motor req

see pics

shipping--buyer arranges
recommend taking measurements of Alliant motor, adding 2 inches to height, width, depth, then weigh motor and add 15 lbs for my shipping crate weight

use dimensions and weight to get shipping estimate from your package service--ups preferred ships from 98532

pics show sheave rust--you will need to clean or possibly swap your mechanism

alliant motors were usually 3 hp--if you want to proceed with sale--provide weight and dimensions and flange mount thru hole radial and chordal dimensions

jh

I Know this is an old thread but i need a motor for a BP Clone and they look like the ones you have Iam in the UK
Cheers

You likely will be better off if you both send a PM to the guys that had motors for sale and start a new post seeking a motor as people might not read old threads.

Back