What's new
What's new

WTB Older lathe mid atlantic

Fuggly

Plastic
Hello.

We are a site contractor that runs a fleet of older equipment and trucks. Some of it old enough that there is no longer any factory support. Buying a Bridgeport (done) and a lathe seemed like a good idea to help keep this stuff going for the forseeable future. I don't know a great deal about the advantages and disadvantages of the various machines and features thereto. I would like to keep the cost of a lathe under $3,000 delivered to Richmond, VA. We can pick up on a rollback up to about 200 miles away. We plan on using a VFD since we don't have 3 phase at the shop, and are thinking that something in the neighborhood of 13"-20" with 36"-60" centers would make sense. Any input on whether or not we are crazy and what you guys think makes sense would be appreciated, and, of course, information on machines you may have for sale. [email protected] 804-226-3801 eastern

Thanks,

Stuart

Last edited:
Perfectly capable one not very far - though a tad longer than you want

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/18-lodge-shipley-lathe-1915-machine-shop-349981/

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/what-do-1915-machine-shop-350008/

Hello.

We are a site contractor that runs a fleet of older equipment and trucks. Some of it old enough that there is no longer any factory support. Buying a Bridgeport (done) and a lathe seemed like a good idea to help keep this stuff going for the forseeable future. I don't know a great deal about the advantages and disadvantages of the various machines and features thereto. I would like to keep the cost of a lathe under $3,000 delivered to Richmond, VA. We can pick up on a rollback up to about 200 miles away. We plan on using a VFD since we don't have 3 phase at the shop, and are thinking that something in the neighborhood of 13"-20" with 36"-60" centers would make sense. Any input on whether or not we are crazy and what you guys think makes sense would be appreciated, and, of course, information on machines you may have for sale.

Thanks,

Stuart

Hello.

We are a site contractor that runs a fleet of older equipment and trucks. Some of it old enough that there is no longer any factory support. Buying a Bridgeport (done) and a lathe seemed like a good idea to help keep this stuff going for the forseeable future. I don't know a great deal about the advantages and disadvantages of the various machines and features thereto. I would like to keep the cost of a lathe under $3,000 delivered to Richmond, VA. We can pick up on a rollback up to about 200 miles away. We plan on using a VFD since we don't have 3 phase at the shop, and are thinking that something in the neighborhood of 13"-20" with 36"-60" centers would make sense. Any input on whether or not we are crazy and what you guys think makes sense would be appreciated, and, of course, information on machines you may have for sale.

Thanks,

Stuart

What you cite implies shafts, axles or half axle. Galis had but one 8-foot bed, most others were ten-foot, a few were 12-foot. One must allow for more hang-out on awkward work HS end, and drills or taps and their chucks or collets at the TS end. 4-Jaw chucks. 4-way toolposts.

I would class 60" a minimum c-to-c, like an additional foot, really. Likewise 20" the minimum for swing. Passenger motorcars, I no longer do flywheels, rotors or drums. You may still need to do.

Repair work does not need high speeds nor exotic tooling, very little of it is even on challenging alloys, uber-hardness only once in a while.

My "ideal" lathe for that would be a L&S Powerturn, AC, not DC, version of the "AVS" model.
Most other seriously good lathes had rather a lot of gears in their heads, some had complex powered shifter clutches. Too much like work to refurbish those if one need not.

The AVS still has gears. but only a few. The original AC VFD "type" drive can be upgraded with the "drop in" replacement of a modern VFD if it has not been already.

Yaskawa make pretty solid industrial grade VFD. More money, but less hassle. You are not a hobbyist, and should not plan to become one.

Second choice is a dinosaur, but one of the easiest lathes ever built to keep in useful order. A Hendey cone head, the "tie bar" model. Repair work doesn't need a lot more.

Mills .. Bridgeport vertical you have already? Yah, but...

We had a Cinncy Toolmaster vertical, but hardly EVER found need of it. Keyways on tapered ends of 100 HP DC motor armature shafts that had to have round ends is all I recall that needed it over several years. The K&T horizontal next to it did about 90% of our milling.
No vise on either. We used clamps.

Three-foot, five-foot, and eight-foot radial DP, were used often, as were 3 each 3" horizontal boring mills, and one five-inch. Our planer would be overkill. Ditto the VTL.

If I could only have ONE machine tool - it would be a horizontal boring mill. Most other work is easier to send out for modest fees. Downside is the all-manual HBM guru is usually "king" in a shop, and what he needs to know and be able to do justifies that. An HBM is not a good candidate for DIY "OJT". Needs a "mentor" and a good one.

2CW

Hello.

Thanks,

Stuart

I have a Monarch Model K 13" x 30" in your price range if your interested with some tooling.
The machine has a five horse spindle motor, so a phase converter would be cheap enough or a VFD?

Let me know and I can get some pictures posted?

Kevin

I have a Monarch Model K 13" x 30" in your price range if your interested with some tooling.
The machine has a five horse spindle motor, so a phase converter would be cheap enough or a VFD?

Let me know and I can get some pictures posted?

Kevin

Kevin,

Thanks. I am not particularly adept at the internet so instead of spending an hour or so trying to figure out to pm just give me a call when you get a minute.804-363-5546 is office number. Land line no texts, etc. I or the lady that answers the phone can give you an e-mail address for sending pictures.

Stuart

Kevin,

Thanks. I am not particularly adept at the internet so instead of spending an hour or so trying to figure out to pm just give me a call when you get a minute.804-363-5546 is office number. Land line no texts, etc. I or the lady that answers the phone can give you an e-mail address for sending pictures.

Stuart

Stuart, nice talking to you earlier.

I sent an email with some info, my contact info is included as well.

Kevin

Back