What's new
What's new

WTB Pratt & Whitney Model C Lathe

drom68

Cast Iron
Looking for a lathe similar to what is in the pic. Prefer one on the east coast and would be great if somewhere near PA. Good condition, not interested in a project.

Thanks,

a24801c6-d9d9-491f-8857-ac8900008e86.jpg

Be selective

Oldies are "slope heads' - unlike the "square" one the dealer did not have - photo in this thread

These later ones have the hard ways - and often go faster speed wise

They were getting "squarish" about 1948

From 1948 Backgrounds.jpg

Be selective

Oldies are "slope heads' - unlike the "square" one the dealer did not have - photo in this thread

These later ones have the hard ways - and often go faster speed wise

Thanks, was hoping you would have some info.

I have come across a couple of the older "slope head" version. I am more interested in the square version.

Can provide some detail on the years they made the square version and the overall benefits such as the hard ways & speed.

Thanks. Called and they don't have it. Dirty lying dealer, still hasn't taken it down. All they wanted was for me to call and discuss my needs. Either you have it, or you don't, but don't advertise unless you have it...

Brings up another request, no dealer. Prefer owner.

Darn too bad they didn't have it. Though it was worth a shot sending it to you. I have seen the machine up for a while and would have been tempted to bit on it but it was too big for my space. The ad looked a bit sketchy as well so really doesn't surprise me it was sold.

Thanks. Called and they don't have it. Dirty lying dealer, still hasn't taken it down. All they wanted was for me to call and discuss my needs. Either you have it, or you don't, but don't advertise unless you have it...

Brings up another request, no dealer. Prefer owner.

Ummm, thats not a dealer. Thats al babin. Do a search and be very happy you didnt send any money.

If I already had a P&W your solution would be a possibility. But looking for one from scratch.... bearings are still unobtainium imo.
Not to mention you would have entered need a lathe to repair a lathe waters.

Is there something unique or special about the Model C lathe, that makes you want one?

It is the right physical size and overall a good fit for what I need the lathe for. No real reason.

I am still looking at a P&W, but also looking at other solutions. I may just clear room for a physically bigger lathe. Spring cleaning is around the corner and I can make some space, but still have limits.

You might want to keep watching HGR Industrial Surplus. I have seen a few newer model C P&W there. I do have one but not for sale. They are dealers but don't have a clue what they are selling! They are simply salesmen selling just about everything and do have quite a few lathes that don't last long on the site. Good photos if you need more call and a salesman will make what you want! Be careful, some stuff is like new while others are boat anchors. Plan to pick-up the machine or look at it before it's shipped. They will refund purchase price if returned but not shipping charges! BTW I have no affiliation with the company nor will receive anything from any sale but buy quite a bit from them probably toooooo much but what I buy is dirt cheap!

Is there something unique or special about the Model C lathe, that makes you want one?

The model C has a useful top end of 1000 or 1500 rpm depending on setup, very good and heavy build quality, nice features such as a clutch/brake at headstock and on the apron, and leadscrew or feed reverse both at headstock and apron. Threading on them is particularly nice, as a threading stop is integrated into the cross slide handwheel, and stops can be set as well on the fwd/rev/neutral rod for things like threading up to a shoulder. Plus most of them have hard ways... overall they are very solid and as accurate as the operator could wish or make use of.

I have a 1953 16x54 model C and it's an excellent machine.

Back