What's new
What's new

WTB Qty 4, 48-64" x approx. 200" Heavy Duty Engine Lathes

TitaniumGuy

Plastic
Hello all,
I'm reaching out to you because it turns out buying lathes of this type is a bit difficult. I work for a large Titanium manufacturer and we have a dozen lathes ranging from 42" to 64" swing. They are all circa 50s and 60s American Tool Works, LeBlond, Noble & Lund, and Niles. We have kept them running over the years due to not being able to find suitable new replacements. We tried two new ones to the tune of 2 million bucks and destroyed the gear boxes within a week. They are production machines that make very slow 1-3rpm rough cuts into 32" dia Ti ingots where tungsten is not allowed for cutting.
I'm reaching out to see if anyone knows of a manufacturer that makes this style of heavy duty lathe anymore or if we need to go looking for refurbished machines. I've found Scheiss Breighton but they start at start at an 86" swing and up.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

MPE Machine Tool

Too bad R.D.& D. closed, they would have built you brand new, just what you wanted.
They built the lathe that machined the solid rocket boosters in your neighborhood.

They specialized in large lathes.

Takisawa (Japan) makes great machines. I think this TAC series may fit the bill. Swing over Bed up to 1500mm, Over cross slide up to 1080mm, Center to Center up to 6 meters (236"). Yamazen California supports these machines in Nevada. Feel free to contact me for more information. Click on my Username and you can Private Message me. Thank you, Frank.

Takisawa TAC series.jpg

For what you are looking at doing, and what you would pay for new machines, having these reconditioned may be an alternative. There are several very reputable
re-builders out there including the original manufacturer of the machines. It may be a alternative to replacing them with questionable machines, if they do the job and do it well why replace them? New is not always better in these specialized circumstances.

If 102" bed is acceptable, I know of an extremely nice looking 48" swing heavy duty LeBlond, probably a '60's machine.

Takisawa (Japan) makes great machines. I think this TAC series may fit the bill. Swing over Bed up to 1500mm, Over cross slide up to 1080mm, Center to Center up to 6 meters (236"). Yamazen California supports these machines in Nevada. Feel free to contact me for more information. Click on my Username and you can Private Message me. Thank you, Frank.

View attachment 281549

I didn't think The Japs made any manual stuff that heavy anymore. The biggest TAC 1500 is 38,600 lbs.

That's no joke. If it's got that iron in the right places and low enough gears that could be a winner.

If you run across any 1950's Axelsons in your search definitely give them consideration. Axelson made some monsters and were quite popular in the NW. I own both a late Pacemaker and an Axelson and have been around a bunch of late heavy Leblonds. While the Axelsons may appear to be older styling they are a real top notch machine.

Contact Eric at 313-881-2120. He has a 55" x 236" Ryazan heavy duty lathe for sale. Built in 2006

ryazan.jpg

- Jason

Hello all,
I'm reaching out to you because it turns out buying lathes of this type is a bit difficult. I work for a large Titanium manufacturer and we have a dozen lathes ranging from 42" to 64" swing. They are all circa 50s and 60s American Tool Works, LeBlond, Noble & Lund, and Niles. We have kept them running over the years due to not being able to find suitable new replacements. We tried two new ones to the tune of 2 million bucks and destroyed the gear boxes within a week. They are production machines that make very slow 1-3rpm rough cuts into 32" dia Ti ingots where tungsten is not allowed for cutting.
I'm reaching out to see if anyone knows of a manufacturer that makes this style of heavy duty lathe anymore or if we need to go looking for refurbished machines. I've found Scheiss Breighton but they start at start at an 86" swing and up.

Thanks in advance,
Greg

What brand were the lathes that failed?

When I was a kid (long time ago) my grandfather had several Niles lathes. Monsters, he used the overhead crane to change tooling.
Two of them the operator would ride on the carriage. Very slow speed indestructible machines. Flat peal off an alarming chip.
Largest one would swing something like 120". I still have a Niles here built for the war department 1942, still going strong although not used a lot.

Great Britain based but complete big lathe shop up for sale a month ago. Boring/turned steel, titanium, other exotics.

YouTube

Oh, that's sad (I guess? If it's what the owner wants then it isn't). He's quite a good machinist who makes great videos on how to trepan, including tool making and setup (learn by watching). Self deprecating, but fun to listen to and watch his work.

He says he's going to continue making vids, so there's that positive...

I can find the name of a rebuilder about 3000 miles away if you need. Can CBN be used to get the speed up a bit? There are some big lathes but they might be 2x as fast. Dumb question I'm sure. I also assume that if you only need 4 of them, surely you can find 4 lathes if you search the world for less than $1M each.

Back