What's new
What's new

WTB: quality phase converter

Looking for a 3-phase converter capable of starting and running a gearhead lathe of 5-10 hp. All comments welcome. Located in Venice, California.

I have a spare convert-a-phase. It is 10 hp max motor size and 15 hp total combined motors. It has a real RPC idler made by baldor. It had no problems starting my 10 hp power hammer with a large flywheel. I had to upsize to a 15hp for larger machines....
Would like to get $800 for it.
Can snap some pics if interested, located in Atascadero, up near San Luis Obispo.

I have a spare convert-a-phase. It is 10 hp max motor size and 15 hp total combined motors. It has a real RPC idler made by baldor. It had no problems starting my 10 hp power hammer with a large flywheel. I had to upsize to a 15hp for larger machines....
Would like to get $800 for it.
Can snap some pics if interested, located in Atascadero, up near San Luis Obispo.

Rob, thank you for your offer and for forwarding photos. But I am going to continue to search for a better quality unit.

EZ if you work something out with Rob and that works for you, I might be able to work out picking it up.

Extremely kind of you to offer to help.

Have you considered building one yourself? They are very easy to build and you will save yourself $100's.
I would consider building one myself if I could be sure of the design's integrity.

I can't say enough good about American Rotary, Mine has been flawless for over ten years.
Near the top of my wish list.

"Quality" is in the eye of the beholder. You know what you mean, but we don't. A closer definition of your requirements and abilities would be helpful to us.

Doesn't take much of an RPC to run a manual lathe, but I for one am not clear on your situation. Please tell us more.

"I would consider building one myself if I could be sure of the design's integrity."

They also sell the control box pre-wired, so all you do it supply the motor. Here is an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-HP-Rotary-Phase-Converter-Panel/164595460479?hash=item2652a7697f:g:K1QAAOSw6N9ej4o3

Have you considered building one yourself? They are very easy to build and you will save yourself $100's.

I have a 15HP tuned to run a couple CNCs and I probably have around $400 in it. It lasted 25 years till the humidity here got to it and I rebuilt it. That $400 is based on prices from a year ago. You can find all kinds of NOS components on E-bay at very low prices. As for the OP manual equipment will run just fine with an unbalanced RPC, often with voltages outside the recommended range. I run my manual machines off a different converter than the CNCs, across one of the phases it is kicking out 265 volts, never burnt a motor up in that same 25 year span.

Just ordered an American Rotary AD20 (20 horsepower). They had a "scratch & dent" unit for a very good price and really took care of me on shipping it cheaply.

Thank you to everyone who contributed.

Just took delivery of my "new" Monarch 10EE yesterday morning. It has just a 5hp motor. But I am preparing for a future larger machine to augment it. Have spent days already just making a spot in which the lathe can live, and relocating my 12 x 35 Logan to the spot for the future lathe. My shop will take many more days just so I can work in it again.

The American Rotary AD20 just arrived this afternoon. Holy crap--that thing is big! Hope I didn't screw up. :)

You didn't! Having excess capacity on an RPC is a good thing in that it doesn't really cost any more to run and gives you room to grow. I just bought and installed a North American Rotary (owned by American Rotary as I understand it) RPC and was very impressed with the whole setup.

The only thing on a modular drive 10ee that is three phase is the coolant pump if it is even equipped. You can run that lathes dc drive with a single phase 220v 40a breaker if it is still original equipment. It is quieter then a rpc humming in the background.

The only thing on a modular drive 10ee that is three phase is the coolant pump if it is even equipped. You can run that lathes dc drive with a single phase 220v 40a breaker if it is still original equipment...

Is this really true? Wouldn't I have to change some of the electronic controls, transformers, etc (since it was setup to run on 440-volts 3-phase)?

The heaters need to be the type that are 220 or 440, otherwise you need to wire a decent size transformer into that circuit. The main transformer the machine already has should be able to be wired to output for 220 or 440. You also need to cut one of the control wires down to half it's length for a resistance one of the circuits needs. There are a lot of tutorials on the monarch page of this forum about it.

How were you planning to make 440 with a phase converter anyways? You would need to have a substantial transformer online to take your 220 up to 440.

My modular drive was a 440 3 phase machine when I bought it, but now it runs on single phase 220, and I am definitely not an electrician.

IMG_0915.jpg

The heaters need to be the type that are 220 or 440, otherwise you need to wire a decent size transformer into that circuit. The main transformer the machine already has should be able to be wired to output for 220 or 440. You also need to cut one of the control wires down to half it's length for a resistance one of the circuits needs. There are a lot of tutorials on the monarch page of this forum about it.

How were you planning to make 440 with a phase converter anyways? You would need to have a substantial transformer online to take your 220 up to 440.

My modular drive was a 440 3 phase machine when I bought it, but now it runs on single phase 220, and I am definitely not an electrician...

Thank you for that information.

The machinery dealer from whom I purchased the 10EE also included a large 440/220-volt transformer. Here is a photo of its plate. I now have reason to believe this transformer can only be used to step down from 440 to 220, and so would not be suitable.

My mill uses a static converter to enable it to operate on single phase 220. But that system only provides for ~2/3 the rated motor hp. Isn't that what would happen if I tried to connect the 10EE to single phase?

I will search for the Monarch page you mentioned. Perhaps someone will be kind enough to show a link so I can reconfigure the lathe to run on 220.

Back