What's new
What's new

WTB: Rotary Screw Air Compressor

rpseguin

Stainless
Looking for a good working condition rotary screw air compressor for my shall shop on a limited budget.
With an air dryer would be nice, but not mandatory. With tank or without.
In the Napa, California area.

Looking for a good working condition rotary screw air compressor for my shall shop.
With an air dryer would be nice, but not mandatory.
In the Napa, California area.

i have a 20 hp 75 cfm italian one,w/ big separate air dryer-they are excellent!-pat,over in sebastopol--if interested,will send pics

we have a 50 hp Ingersol Rand with lower hours. No air dryer, altho I do have a Kaeser refrigerated air dryer with a leaky heat exchanger I'll give you if you buy our compressor. Asking 10,000.00 for all of it.

we have a 50 hp Ingersol Rand with lower hours. No air dryer, altho I do have a Kaeser refrigerated air dryer with a leaky heat exchanger I'll give you if you buy our compressor. Asking 10,000.00 for all of it.

Thanks, but too big and quite a bit more than I can afford.

I have a Kaeser SK26, the motor needs to be send for rewind. I gave it to my neighbor to try to use, but he isn't doing anything with it. If you are serious I can get it back. I wouldn't want much for it, I can even repair it and service it if you don't feel comfortable with that type of repair. PM if you are serious.

I have a Kaeser SK26, the motor needs to be send for rewind. I gave it to my neighbor to try to use, but he isn't doing anything with it. If you are serious I can get it back. I wouldn't want much for it, I can even repair it and service it if you don't feel comfortable with that type of repair. PM if you are serious.

I’m interested.
PM sent!

My current California Air Tools compressor, while super quiet, is not adequate.

Probably not worth shipping to East Coast, but I've considered running a PAIR of those, one alone nearly always, maybe rotated to even-out wear, and both, manifolded-up only rather seldom. Might not do for YOUR needs, surely would for mine vs the rude C-H I have now..

So.. capacity limitations aside, how well has it served you, otherwise, and would you do it again, larger for the reliability, "relatively" low noise, & such?

TIA

Bill

How much air we talking here, and what flavor ?
5 buckets a minute, or 5 barrels a minute ?
And how much in each bucket ?

How much power line doo you have as well ?

Unless OP is doing a lot of sand blasting, a 15hp rotary seems like too much compressor for a garage shop. I'm running my shop on a 7.5hp and it makes more air than I need. A 15hp wouldn't even run long enough to keep the oil warm.

There are small (3-5) hp rotaries that you can get in 240V single phase, that might be a good place to start looking. The little Kaeser air centers look pretty sweet, and a small footprint.

Buying used, expect to spend $400-$500 to do a full service before putting it to work.

Buying a used screw, I'd want to pull the inlet valve and do a visual inspection of the air end.

How much air we talking here, and what flavor ?
5 buckets a minute, or 5 barrels a minute ?
And how much in each bucket ?

How much power line doo you have as well ?

Probably 5 buckets a minute (maybe occasionally up to 25 SCFM, but usually less).
I have 125A service, but I’m working on upgrading to 200A service.
I’m running a 25HP rotary phase converter for my 3ph machines, but for a compressor, I’d love to run it with a VFD from single phase so I don’t have to run the RPC.

Probably 5 buckets a minute (maybe occasionally up to 25 SCFM, but usually less).
I have 125A service, but I’m working on upgrading to 200A service.
I’m running a 25HP rotary phase converter for my 3ph machines, but for a compressor, I’d love to run it with a VFD from single phase so I don’t have to run the RPC.

assuming 125 psi max ?

Unless OP is doing a lot of sand blasting, a 15hp rotary seems like too much compressor for a garage shop. I'm running my shop on a 7.5hp and it makes more air than I need. A 15hp wouldn't even run long enough to keep the oil warm.

I agree. That’s why I said, max of 15HP. :-)
A lot of the used ones I’m finding are 20+ Hewlett Packards, so way beyond what I need.

There are small (3-5) hp rotaries that you can get in 240V single phase, that might be a good place to start looking. The little Kaeser air centers look pretty sweet, and a small footprint.

Buying used, expect to spend $400-$500 to do a full service before putting it to work.

Buying a used screw, I'd want to pull the inlet valve and do a visual inspection of the air end.

Ok.
Thanks for the tips!
Given a choice, my preference would be to have 3 phase motor over single motor and use a VFD soft start, ...

Back