What's new
What's new

WTB Rusnok or Busy Bee mill

From my understanding, the Rusnok has been used in development labs for prototype machining.

I’ve got a couple of Barker AM mills located in the southeast if you are interested in a horizontal. These are not the PM models with lever feeds and small spindles. Great small machines with micrometer handwheels and standard 30 taper spindle so it really opens up tooling options.

You can fit a dorian or gem style right angle head and still have a little room for doing vertical work. Let me know if you’re interested.

From my understanding, the Rusnok has been used in development labs for prototype machining.

Rusnok is not a hobby machine. It is a respected benchtop manual mill that historically was used in Aerospace and other industries that needed an accurate small mill for small work pieces.

Of course, all these machines are targeting a user that needs a very small benchtop like machine and is willing to sacrifice the work envelope in exchange for having a very small footprint. One could also look towards a Burke Millrite or a Deckel FP1 which is not a whole lot bigger in footprint but immensely more capable.

I've never heard of a "Rusnok" OMG it's adorable I need one!

They are very nice little machines and amazingly accurate. What's really cool about them is that a single person can just pick it up and move it (separate the head from the body first). Another cool feature is the X/Y table is detachable so one can use this on its own for various tasks like putting an X/Y table on a drill press, etc.. I own several Rusnoks and I put them on work tables to be used as fine drilling machines and small light milling.

I've got one located for the OP, but he thinks its too heavy!

The ultimate would be to marry your Hardinge TM with the Rusnok head, now you have a VERY nice horizontal/vertical mill, extremely versatile setup. The Rusnok head just hangs off the overarm, was designed specifically for this use.

Geez, OP should understand, heavy is GOOD with milling machines. And these machines are just not that difficult to move.

The Rusnok itself isn't heavy. Now getting a bigger mill up into my shop might be a challenge.

The Rusnok is about 150lb, and you can remove the head, allowing for one person to move it around. The Hardinge TM is around 850 lb. An alternative to the Hardinge TM might be a Burke No 4, which when separated from the base is around 250 lb. Any competent rigging company could easily get any of these into your shop.

The ultimate would be to marry your Hardinge TM with the Rusnok head, now you have a VERY nice horizontal/vertical mill, extremely versatile setup. The Rusnok head just hangs off the overarm, was designed specifically for this use.

Geez, OP should understand, heavy is GOOD with milling machines. And these machines are just not that difficult to move.

This Hardinge has a vertical head with it.

I have a friend with a Rusnok in Carmel Valley, CA. Email me if you want his contact info.

Sent you a PM. I don't know if it went through since it doesn't show up in my "Sent Messages" folder. If you don't see it, please just send me your friend's contact info. Thanks.

Back