What's new
What's new

WTB: Small Vertical Mill

baldwints

Plastic
I know, I know; every home shop is looking for something like this, but I am getting so desperate that I figured I may as well try my luck here. I've been looking for a smaller- or mid-sized vertical mill for about 4 years now, and every time I find one, someone else has gotten to it right before me. I would love to have a 1hp bridgeport, but my shop is in a 150 year old mill building and the wood floors just can't take the weight. I am really only milling aluminum in one-off prototypes for custom fine art display fixture type hardware, so I really don't need anything super precise or powerful. For context, I have a south bend 9a lathe, and am looking more or less for the vertical mill equivalent. Given that it's been so difficult, my criteria are pretty flexible at this point, and I've tried to buy a Clausing 8520, Rusnok, Hardinge, Vernon Jig Borer, and most recently an Atlas m1-22 horizontal mill which I was going to find a vertical head for. I've been trying to avoid the mill drill types, but I may be reaching the end of the line. I have a $2500 budget and a will to drive more than 350 miles anywhere in the northeast. Does anyone have any leads on something that might fit the bill? I'm on craigslist daily, as well as bidspotter, ebay, and here. Truly, any help would be much appreciated, and thanks to all.

I know, I know; every home shop is looking for something like this, but I am getting so desperate that I figured I may as well try my luck here. I've been looking for a smaller- or mid-sized vertical mill for about 4 years now, and every time I find one, someone else has gotten to it right before me. I would love to have a 1hp bridgeport, but my shop is in a 150 year old mill building and the wood floors just can't take the weight. I am really only milling aluminum in one-off prototypes for custom fine art display fixture type hardware, so I really don't need anything super precise or powerful. For context, I have a south bend 9a lathe, and am looking more or less for the vertical mill equivalent. Given that it's been so difficult, my criteria are pretty flexible at this point, and I've tried to buy a Clausing 8520, Rusnok, Hardinge, Vernon Jig Borer, and most recently an Atlas m1-22 horizontal mill which I was going to find a vertical head for. I've been trying to avoid the mill drill types, but I may be reaching the end of the line. I have a $2500 budget and a will to drive more than 350 miles anywhere in the northeast. Does anyone have any leads on something that might fit the bill? I'm on craigslist daily, as well as bidspotter, ebay, and here. Truly, any help would be much appreciated, and thanks to all.

I don't have one or any leads but just want to say if you mention a target weight , you will get more leads. A SouthBend 9A is around 370lbs per an older PM post; which must be for the lathe sans cabinet. So is your max weight 400 lbs, 500 lbs , 600 lbs ?

Fred Eisner in Yonkers has smaller sized mills for sale from time to time.

Fred Eisner - Used Machinery and Tools Bought and Sold
922 Old NepperhamRoad, Yonkers NY
Tel. 914 963 7667
[email protected]

Cooke has a big warehouse full of machinery in NJ. I won't think he updates his website too often, so you'll probably have to call to see what's in stock.
Cook Tool & Machine - Cook Tool & Machinery

Also check facebook marketplace. It's usually better than craigslist these days.

A 32 inch table 9 inch knee v ram bridgeport weighs about 1500 pounds.

When you measure the space it takes up. It is not a very heavy load on even an old building.

Less than a waterbed and those were everywhere in crackerbox ranches

I have one but have not yet decided to sell it. A German Stinnel in very good condition.

Likely ask $1500 for it.
Stock photo
steinel milling machine photos - Bing

Oooof - well, if you ever do decide to sell it, please do let me know. I would absolutely buy it at that price. And I drive out to visit family in Michigan pretty regularly. In fact, I'm driving out to the UP in two weeks for a bit. If you do decide you want to sell it in that time period, please let me know.

I don't have one or any leads but just want to say if you mention a target weight , you will get more leads. A SouthBend 9A is around 370lbs per an older PM post; which must be for the lathe sans cabinet. So is your max weight 400 lbs, 500 lbs , 600 lbs ?

This is very good advice - Thanks. My space could probably handle an 800-900lb tool.

Fred Eisner in Yonkers has smaller sized mills for sale from time to time.

Fred Eisner - Used Machinery and Tools Bought and Sold
922 Old NepperhamRoad, Yonkers NY
Tel. 914 963 7667
[email protected]

Cooke has a big warehouse full of machinery in NJ. I won't think he updates his website too often, so you'll probably have to call to see what's in stock.
Cook Tool & Machine - Cook Tool & Machinery

Also check facebook marketplace. It's usually better than craigslist these days.

This is very good info - I'll call both tomorrow, and see if they have anything.

There was a post titled "Jig Bore needs saving" or something similar just a few days ago, iirc it was on east coast, not finding it at the moment.

Edit: Here it is, it was for a CL listing, which is now dead.
Pratt Whitney 1 1/2 jig borer needs saving - Easton, MD $200

Thta's several times larger than what the OP wants.
From that thread, john Odrr : "Looks like a "B", which is about as modern as they get. Takes dedicated P&W collets, has no draw bar

This one still has the "end measures" rig which means all locating is via gauge rods and what appears to ID mics - working with a "tenth" indicator.

No feeds on table or saddle, only on the quill

It has exactly eight speeds 130 to 1800

4200 Lbs"

and a Jig bore makes a very poor mill.

the clausing 8520, it's about 1000lbs from what I remember.

my advice, find a knee mill , with an r8. mt2 tooling is harder to find. everyone says it's easy to find, but not really, if you are looking for current tooling.

Thta's several times larger than what the OP wants.
From that thread, john Odrr : "Looks like a "B", which is about as modern as they get. Takes dedicated P&W collets, has no draw bar

This one still has the "end measures" rig which means all locating is via gauge rods and what appears to ID mics - working with a "tenth" indicator.

No feeds on table or saddle, only on the quill

It has exactly eight speeds 130 to 1800

4200 Lbs"

and a Jig bore makes a very poor mill.

He said he was flexible, and had considered a jig bore, I saw pic, it looked smaller, had not followed the comments.

The 8520 was listed at about 700 lbs but comes apart pretty easily into several hundred pound, or less, chunks. It has an MT2 spindle but I've never had a problem finding tooling for it..

I have a 8520 in very good shape that I may be selling next year some time, along with a Kurt 3-in vise, Servo power feed, a bunch of tooling and probably a 3-axis DRO. I'd probably want more than $2500 though.

I just picked up a Bench master MV-1. I'm restoring with intention of selling as I already have a small Vernon Jig borer I'm using for small milling operations. It's going to get a new drum switch, new wiring, new lead screws, new bearings (spindle and knee gear bearings), new collet set, new spindle spanner wrench and new draw bar.

It's already got fresh paint, all the rust stripped off and most things are polished. I'll post pics when it's done. If you're interested in a sale or are still looking for a mill, message me privately and we can work something out in your price range. I'm in the New England area.

Could you handle a burke millright? One's for sale in Bethlehem CT on Facebook.

Or Katonah NY has a Clausing 8520, again on FB.

Maybe priced a bit optimistically, but there are a few of these machines that show up every month or two.

Back