What's new
What's new

WTB Tormach 770

Tormach is not well regarded here, so put your flame suit on. But there is an 1100 listed here if you scroll down a bit.

Not sure why[...]

-Because so many here are tool snobs. Unless you have a half-million-dollar 50-taper machine and are billing well into the six figures per month, you're not considered a real machinist. :D

Hell, the only acceptable machines for a home-shop guy are M/G 10EEs, HLV-Hs, small DSGs or Pacemakers, or a Bridgeport that you lovingly hand-scraped back into alignment yourself.

Anything less is considered a toy and not worth talking about. :)

Doc.

Ha! I have a Bridgeport and just looking to occasionally run a few things on a smaller machine with 4 axis capabilities due to limited space. Also not to have to order a large number of parts from a vendor and just make a handful when I need them. Just trying to make my shop a but more efficient . The other option I was looking into was retrofitting the Bridgeport but look more expensive than buying the 700m.

There's kind of a 'grey area' between the true home-shop guy (IE, just making parts for some other project in the shop [car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) and full-on production guy. (IE, making 50,000+ parts a month.)

I find myself in that grey area, and I'm not alone here. There's a LOT of people that are working out of a small shop or even garage, who have a product they might only need to make 50 or 100 at a time- and even then maybe only a couple times a month, if that.

Something too laborious for a manual machine, but whose sales don't justify a $75,000 machining center and $15,000 in tooling.

The problem is, a "small, cheap" CNC is usually just that, small and cheap. Somebody used to a 12,000 pound machine that can remove metal measured in tons per shift is going to see a 770 as a toy- which, comparatively, it is, and is why they're not "well regarded" here.

But they are, themselves, well regarded for what they are and what they're capable of. Tormach sells 'em by the ton, and you don't see too many of 'em on the used market- that tells me they're being kept and being used.

Asking about them here is like going to a board specifically for the Chevy LS V8 engines and asking about a Ford 2-liter four. The latter is a perfectly capable engine, but that particular crowd isn't going to be terribly receptive. :)

Doc.

LS all the way. Lol

i-wRZkw7v

There's at least one Facebook group dedicated to selling used Tormach stuff as well as several Tormach machine tool FB groups so you should ask there if you haven't already. Various model Tormach mills come up for sale there as owners move up in the machine tool world to something more substantial.

Back