What's new
What's new

WTB Vertical Milling Machine

parafrog88

Plastic
Looking for a vertical mill in the Louisville,Ky area.
I recently retired from the Marine Corps so now I'm at my forever home
So I can buy heavy iron.
Missed out on 2 vertical mills in the past week or so.
Anyone have anything hiding in there barn or garage.
Cody

I have a like new Santec (Sharp) bed mill, 9x42 table, r-8 2 axis DRO i want to sale,not sure what your budget is, looking for $5200.00 for it. My dad bought the mill new in 1996, been used in our shop very little, i think backlash is around .009 or less on both axis( never been adjusted),head sounds like new, table has no marks in it. If you have interest i can email pics. Thanks Jason

Thank you for the replies so far.
Maybe i should have added some more information.
I retired from the Marine Corps after 30 yeas and bought a farm south of Louisville, KY
So on a limited income but plenty of time.
I am just a hobbyist who has always liked machines and machine work.
I was a tool and die apprentice in high school before a became a super grunt and wrecked my back and knees.
Looking for something in the range of a van norman 12, Cincinnati 2 older bridgeport in the under 2500.00 category.
Bought my horizontal Cincinnati 2MI and lathe from the Navy in Norfolk, VA as i was retiring.
Cody

.. the range of a van norman 12, Cincinnati 2 older bridgeport in the under 2500.00 category.

Bought my horizontal Cincinnati 2MI and lathe from the Navy in Norfolk, VA as i was retiring.
Cody

You have 4200 lbs Avoir of dovetail over-ram Cinncy Horizontal? Is it functional? Or trashed?

WTF d'yah think a BirdPort or workalike will bring that an add-on vertical head cannot do just as well with a great deal stronger base under it?

Not to mention less floorspace used-up, and lower demands on a fixed income - so yah can actually afford to TOOL the sumbich and buy decent metal to makes stuff outta...

"More tooling and workholding" some of the best value for money as projects go.

"Marines don't dig!" applies to yer WALLET, too, y'know!

:D

Parafrog88 try HGR in Cleveland. It’s 4 hours from Cincinnati and they always have a Ridiculous inventory and really good prices on most. I’ve got 2 lathes and a vertical mill from them

If you make the pilgrimage to HGR come check out my Acra that I have listed here FS Acra 9x42 Mill It’s more than you want to spend but it’s a really nice mill. I’m 20-30 minutes from there depending if adhere to social distancing ��

If you make the pilgrimage to HGR come check out my Acra that I have listed here FS Acra 9x42 Mill It’s more than you want to spend but it’s a really nice mill. I’m 20-30 minutes from there depending if adhere to social distancing ��

LOL! Surely... stop by and cast an eyeball on the Acra first

... visit HGR... take a barf bag.. I mean.. there's are still a FEW things as will even make a 30-year Semper Fi puke...

.. then call the bank, come back, and buy the Acra?

At least when I go to McKean I skip HGR and haven't wasted a lunch!

LOL! Surely... stop by and cast an eyeball on the Acra first

... visit HGR... take a barf bag.. I mean.. there's are still a FEW things as will even make a 30-year Semper Fi puke...

.. then call the bank, come back, and buy the Acra?

At least when I go to McKean I skip HGR and haven't wasted a lunch!

That’s because you went at the wrong times, free lunch Wednesday at HGR is on Wednesday!

Your scaring me,..

No fear.

As with any OTHER large organization?

There is "the right way", "the wrong way" and "the company." or "<branch of service> way".

USAFROTC and US Army enlisted, then Corps of Engineers, Officer, my case. 1963-1971, only a tad under four years of that span was "active duty".

If you adapt? Come to understand that it is all about the system and its TEAM working? Not just "precious YOU, personally?"

It can be a pleasant, educational, and even highly rewarding experience.

If yah FIGHT "the system"? You may indeed get to eat a great deal of shit!

Major corporations are not really any different. Nor are "Unions".

SMALL enterprises? Well .. for lack of rude-buggers to delegate it to?

The founder/owner/sole proprietor or seniour person... has to eat a certain amount of shit ANYWAY!

:)

Get used to it. Pretend it is chicken nuggets, hot-dogs, or chocolate fudge ... and just get the damned job DONE!

One of the reasons Veterans hire other Veterans?

We already know they have learned that the TEAM matters, and how to do a good job even at tasking they detest having to do at all.

That's how yah WIN. Battlefield, high seas, rear-area support, shop floor, corporate Boardroom...

Or "life, in general", even.

No fear.

USAFROTC and US Army enlisted, then Corps of Engineers, Officer, my case. 1963-1971

happy Memorial Day, thank you for your Service. “If you don’t stand behind our soldiers then stand in front” . Respect and peace
Rip to all KIA, hope for all MIA, salute to those who made it home and prayers for those who left something behind in the battlefields.

happy Memorial Day, thank you for your Service. “If you don’t stand behind our soldiers then stand in front” .
I had been told... by the head of "Company Grade" Officer assignments, USACE OPO, the Pentagon, that I had been FORBIDDEN an assignment in 'nam. Had a higher priority. "Multiplier effect" of training others only the unclassified part of that.

Pulled strings. Told the brass I had no certainty - good as they were - that all 53 Officers I had generated - nor six as were ALREADY Officers I had upgraded - would avoid that fool war.

And, as not the first generation in the "family bizness" - just how TF was I expected to be able to SHAVE without cutting my own throat if even ONE didn't make it back. Whilst I never even WENT at all?

Got my choice of five Command slots. Took the hardest one. Naturally.

Didn't lose even ONE man of my Command. Nothing else matters now.
That did. And still does. To them and THEIR families and offspring, multiplied. Not just one of me.

"Citizen soldiers". Merely "TDY" to fields of battle. And the deadliest kind of all.

Impatient, y'see. VERY!

We want the wars WON, DONE, and ENDED, so we can go home, make babies, money, BUILD a house, a career, or all of the above - a LIFE, if you will.

And not HAVE to "destroy" such things. Our own. Nor anyone else's either.

In our weary millions we hold the hope that will be "good enough" for yet another generation. Even when it isn't, quite.

No "war lovers", we. PEACE, rather!

Unless it cannot be helped. Of course.

Never confuse "reluctant" with "unable".

Hmm. And here I thought your obedience to your commander in chief was absolute.
Johnson, Kennedy, and Nixon Derangement Syndrome, eh?

How soon you forget.

I can say it NOW. Just not THEN.. Lyndon B Johnson was a corrupt ASSHOLE! And held no PATENT on that, either. They usually ARE!

Oliver-holier-than Cromwell had easily been WORSE!

My COUNTRY, now? Or England THEN? ...On the other hand...

Chock-full of some VERY fine people, well worth the best we have ever had to give. Including HANGING for it, if need be. 19 October, 1660 to be exact. After winning his battles and siring a son. Or I would not be here, now!

"Politics" are simply NOT on any serving warrior's duty roster.

Never any shortage of whiners and cheap-shot fools sitting on their comfortable, complacent ASS to deal with those.

Back