Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

Didn't lose even ONE man of my Command. Nothing else matters now.
    That did. And still does. To them and THEIR families and offspring, multiplied.

Never confuse "reluctant" with "unable".
    i can fucking drink to that! You’ve lived and learned some real shit huh?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Homebrewblob View Post
    i can fucking drink to that! You’ve lived and learned some real shit huh?
    Not really. Serious-good training plus Genetic pre-disposition. Sorta like being on "autopilot" I guess?

Those who messed with it did more learning. Most of them even lived through it, too!

Kicked his new Sr LTC of a G4 TF out of my area once as a mere 1LT. Told the CG MUCH MUCH later it was sort of "automatic". Second-generation Combat Engineer as had hailed from a hundred years and more of heavy cavalrymen. F**ker was "Staff". I was "Command". That simple. Got an SE grin.

Mac Jones didn't display any specific "branch". CG Saigon Support Command wore "General Staff" stars instead.

Forty-two years later, plus a few more of delay, I chanced to read his obit.

And THEN I understood how he had understood ME so well. And backed me up at my fastest and rudest "out of channels" hasty solutions to what said he needed DONE!

Morton McDonald Jones, Jr. hadn't been put in place to kick ass, take names, and sort the Logistics of that War by chargin' Creighton Abrams by no accident.

No "Quartermaster", he.

Cavalry.

Horse before track.

His Dad? Good enough horse cavalryman to have kicked Argentine ass, their own turf, Buenos Aires polo competition, 1920's.

Abrams hadn't stopped to take a lot of "prisoners" when Patton had pointed him up that terrible frozen road to Bastogne.

He knew Mac Jones was cut from the same sort of saddle blanket, God bless his efficient, ass-kickin' soul! The both of them, actually.

Abrams sure looked like somebody's kindly old Grandfather by the only time I saw him. I was sure as f***k paying more attention to Raquel Welch and Joey Heatherton three rows closer to Bob Hope's stage than Abrams or Westmoreland sat!

Hospital pajamas will do that "priority" s**t. Never was much good at a smile with a meter or so of stainless wire holding the various pieces of my jaw together!
    By the time Raquel climbed onto our hospital bus to give the lot of us HER smile, up close and personal, after the show? I'm sure she was too tired to notice just one more lean and rangey guy in the second or third row seat.

Great Lady, Raquel! Smart and hard-working, too, not just good-looking. Already a Mother of two kids, yet out in 'nam doin' the hard work of propping us up... whilst a certain silly fool was smokin' dope on a commie cannon up in Hanoi, running us down.

At least God and the Devil will have nothin' to argue about over whom takes whom outta THAT pair! Slam. Dunk!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To move away from the off topic rambling above..... I would recommend keeping s close eye on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. If you are like me, Facebook is generally useless, but there are often machines posted there that you won’t see elsewhere. I always just search “milling” or “milling machine”. I fairly regularly see older American iron for sale at reasonable prices. Good luck on your search, I hope you find what you are looking for.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jspivey View Post
    To move away from the off topic rambling above..... I would recommend keeping s close eye on Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. If you are like me, Facebook is generally useless, but there are often machines posted there that you won’t see elsewhere. I always just search “milling” or “milling machine”. I fairly regularly see older American iron for sale at reasonable prices. Good luck on your search, I hope you find what you are looking for.
    Ohio - were he is - Illinois "maybe" near you, I'd add parts of Indiana and on up into Michigan..were - at one time - "rust belt rich" in used machinery. Going scarce, lo these many years, already, but still...I've bought one or more of my "treasures" in each of those, Ohio several trips.

And that's off a Virginia go-fetch, only half of them by way of a family overnight via Pittsburgh, others, a motel.

If yah "strike gold" that area, it could at least be a same-day out and back.

Rigging and transport one of the most prevalent of deal breakers.

PM's own standard line number one? "if only it was closer!"
    He who can wheel can grab the deal.

Sometimes more of a boredom-breaker, "fun", nostalgia tour, even fall foliage, sightseeing combo tour for retirees than for busy still-working stiffs with less flexible time.

(Pensacola, FL*, Dogpatch by the Sea, SC*, Louisville, KY*, Willow Run, MI, Washington, NY, Upton, Mass - twice - .. and several "closer", as mentioned in PA, MD, NJ, Ohio & c.). First three "*" of those were one-way in by AIR, 26-foot one-way drop Penske back.

I've pulled more trailers than enough, already, and that big bright yeller "Get TF away from me, drowsy Honda jockey!" Cornbinder is a soccer-mom class sweetheart with the great mirrors, good vision all around, and adjustable in-flight air suspension! 24-footer has "Freeway hop". Shorter are worser, may not even have air-brakes! Sod any such minuses for a thousand-mile run!
    Last edited by thermite; 05-26-2020 at 04:17 AM.

5. Likes Homebrewblob liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there, sent you a direct message! I live in southern indiana, and have a bridgeport available. Please message me if you are interested. Thanks.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just finishing up liquidating the shop and I will soon have a nice package deal available. Bridgeport series 1, rebuilt variable speed head, decent ways, 9x42 table with Anilam digitals and a set of R8 collets. In addition, a refurbed 8 or 9 inch bench grinder with wheels, wire wheel, deburring wheel, and hand dresser. And finally a very nice refurbed 4x54 belt grinder with spare belts. Might be a little out of the price range you specified, but there is a ton of value in these. If you are interested, please e-mail me at [email protected].