What's new
What's new

WTS American Tool Works 20” Lathe

Fal Grunt

Titanium
Big, old, beautiful American Iron.

20” lathe, I am not sure bed length, I am GUESSING a minimum of 16ft between centers, but that is just a guess, I didn’t have a tape measure and I didn’t think to pace it off.

A friend asked if I could help sell this lathe, I don’t have a ton of details, but will find out whatever I can. I looked this lathe over in person, and for its age, it is in really nice shape. The flaking on the ways are nice the whole length, with no OBVIOUS wear spots. It is dirty and has some very minor surface rust. It is mostly filthy from sitting.

Biggest detractor! It is apparently missing the compound. It may be in the shop somewhere, but do not count on it. The shop it is in CAN load the machine. Machine needs to be moved out by the end of October, otherwise I’m stripping it and it’s going to scrap. :bawling:

View attachment 265440
View attachment 265442

Will get more pictures loaded when I get home tonight.

Price is being determined, we are still trying to figure weight. We think it is 12,000-15,000 lbs. I recommend starting at $3500 and as time goes on we will go down from there.

You are not loading photos.:D

On my old PC I use this system provided by the forum

Hit Go Advanced in the new post window, then scroll down to Manage Attachments and follow thru on up loading photos from the computer - avoids "noseeum" images

Attachments

• ATW Triple BG 1915.jpg
    ATW Triple BG 1915.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 164
I just don't understand the $3500 or it goes for scrap sales pitch?
Why not start at $200 above scrap price and go down from there?
Scrap price is also based on the weight at the scrap yard!
The labor and transport to get it to the scrap yard is not included and is a factor.
You could be ahead in the end by giving it away for nothing.
Unless of course your labor is free and the shop is right next to a scrap yard.

Good luck with the sale. I don't like to see these good old machines go to scrap but the market for large really old machines is small and getting smaller every day.

I recommend starting at $3500 and as time goes on we will go down from there.

I just don't understand the $3500 or it goes for scrap sales pitch?

They want money for the lathe, they don’t want to scrap it. They thought it was worth a lot more than it is. I recommended starting at $3500 and going down from there. It’ll go down from there until someone is interested or it goes to scrap.

John, would you agree the lathe weighs around 10,000 if it is a 16ft bed?

Last two pages here some years later (1938) say 7000 and 430 Lbs for each additional two feet of bed. Since "stock" between centers was 48, the multiplier for 192" centers would be 6.- which brings the 7000 up to a little over 10K - or a little under that if 16 foot is overall ..... assuming it really is a 20":D

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/atw/atw-highduty-lathe-14thru22in-1938-si.pdf

E3F57BDA-8FD7-4455-A0A9-95E980DEBE8E.jpg

That was the same catalog I used to come up with that number, I just wanted to confirm, appreciate it!

It REALLY is a 20"

If anyone wants anything from it for parts.... I am going to start a list.

And... now down to $2500

Unfortunately their schedule changed, so tomorrow I start pulling parts. If you need/want any parts off this lathe, please message me. I’m just pulling the quick easy stuff unless someone really needs something.

Back