Yikes....what is the deal with eBay now adding sales tax to buyers purchases ? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would welcome an alternative to Ebay mainly centered on machine tools. If there is one please advise.

Something like gunbroker.com or racingjunk.com

Maybe time for the PM to branch out to a fee based marketplace.

2. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rpseguin View Post
    I’m not sure what underlying forum software system PM uses, but by today’s standards it is pretty cumbersome and slow.
    "VB" is coded in php, one of the EASIEST of toolset to use, ever. Beats both of my "weapons of choice" - python ( Zope/Plone atop a VERY heavily accelerator-proxied Z-Server Medusa) for pure "object" work that active forums actually NEED ++ PostgreSQL "Object Relational" for the longer-term heavy lifter.

ELSE hard-coded in a decent compiled language. Yah. We do that s**t.

Problem is, it would take only about a man-day's work and a week of testing to move VB off silly-shit MySQL+InnoDB grafted-on back end - its main sin...

...annnnd that easy to use php is also historically easy to compromise for inherently dodgy security models.

As to "how hard is it"?

See McMaster-Carr, MSC, or Rockauto websites and a thousand more

IOW - it isn't a "one website" situation. Very different thing catalog vs a forum, and PM's 'proper" For Sale already IS different.

It needs some serious updates and improvements before it could be a large, viable marketplace.
    It’s easy for me to armchair quarterback and say that that the underlying forum software needs updates and improvements since I’m not going to quit my day job... :-)
    Noo. what it NEEDs is separate engines and databases for very different tasking.

I know I could do a way better job of creating and maintaining an auction site:
    That you think so probably means you haven't looked closely at the need.
    No need to re-invent that wheel, our narrow field, at all.

Ebay's challange is the giga-brazillio-trilllionigans of simultaneous curious who don't buy SQUAT, just wonder what the current prices are for half-used condoms, once-laundered belly-button lint and re-smelted earwax.

Average PM'er with machinery or tooling to offer has a LOT more in common with PM's founder than any of ebay, Amazon MSC, or Master-Carr. Old procyon site is damned good artistically, navigates fine. Wouldn't take much...etc.

And if the plan is to "get into" ladies undergarterments as ebay is full of?
    Sniffery begins at HOME, yah knows what's GOOD fer yah!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can't imagine how anyone can be surprised that the states finally figured out how to extract sales tax on internet purchases. It must have driven them crazy seeing all that low hanging ripe fruit and not be able to pick and squeeze it.

As for ebay and paypal, their arc is so typical - good idea, gets popular, gets big, gets monetized, gets corporate and greedy, pisses every body off who remembers when it was a great time. I'm sure there are many phd theses about the phenomenon. Remember when Googles mantra was "to do no evil"? I guess violating personal privacy must be good for the violated.

5. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The sad thing is, my family had cut back on impulse purchases because we are getting sick of being taxes to death.

Taxes for income, taxes for property both houses land and vehicles, taxes for rental properties, taxes for capital gains, it's disgusting how much we actually pay.

Sales tax here is 10.5% add that to my already close to 50% tax and i only get to keep a very small fraction of what I take home if I decide do spend it.....don't spend it and it's worth 2% less the next year.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is probably still the same but when I had a California tax exempt card and was also collecting sales tax as I manufactured my own product there was a boat load of different sales tax rates from county to county and city to city. Fortunately for me I rarely sold to an end user so 99% of sales was to resellers. I could imagine the burden filing taxes to a small time seller that sold a little here and there to end users in most of the tax districts.
    I wonder how many states pull similar crap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A simple site where people could upload a text file in spreadsheet form of their for sale stuff with prices and an email address so counterparties could then take the negotiating and photo swapping off line would be an easy addition. You could subscribe to the thread and get new listings as they get posted, or at least notification. I've got a truckload of stuff that I'm going to send to local auction and I know most of it will go for peanuts but its not really ebay fodder and/ or not economical to ship, but Craigs list isn't worth much these days as 90% of the people who say "I'll definitely take it and I'll be there tomorrow" never show, or are trying to get their funds out of Nigeria. Facebook marketplace has been better because there are names associated with the communication, but that audience is not really focused on this market, more on cat photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I have a feeling that was a premeditated theft of your services.
    Sure seems like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    The buyer gets charged the sales tax based on where they are and their states tax rate, not your states tax rate. And then paypal takes a cut of the total amount. As for ebays push to offer free shipping, well now you get taxed on full amount, but if you charge shipping fees, only the purchase price of item is taxed, the shipping is not.
    I fully understand that. All my stuff is free shipping, it's very cut and dried, yet the NET from every sales varies from one to the next. Paypal can't explain it.

I sell the same stuff on Amazon and every one of my Amazon sales has exactly the same net amount.

I just don't trust Ebay or Paypal. I actually like the Amazon UI quite a bit and have made Amazon work pretty good for me. Only thing I don't like about Amazon is that you cannot have your own return policy. You are governed by Amazon's policy regardless of how you sell there.

11. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by as9100d View Post
    I'll never use PayPal or eBay again, not because I don't want to but because I can't.

Had a customer insist on paying with PayPal for a 1000 piece order. Parts all to spec, lots of proof, material certs the whole works and they disputed after receiving the parts. PayPal sided with the buyer and left me out to dry for a $14,000 order. Thankfully I withdrew the money before hand. Left me with a PayPal account that's negative $14,000 and for that I can never use eBay or PayPal again.

Screw em.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Paypal did similar shit to me. I had a website that used Paypal pro for payments and did $15k to 50K a month in gross through them. I also sold bigger ticket items on ebay every now and then. My business is a bit cyclic and I see a huge sales spike at tax return season from February through April. Those fuckers froze my account because I went from not much through the holidays to a $40k+ month in January (unusual activity they said when it was same as the year before and year before that). I couldn't access my operating capital, I couldn't complete orders. I was fucked. I couldn't operate with that much cash sitting in Paypal for months. I had pissed customers and my hands were tied. I went to Stripe and was able to get back going again, but Paypal killed my business during it's busiest season.

I will never trust paypal with anything I can't afford to lose and will never link them to a bank account.

13. Likes as9100d liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So much winning.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Whining, at least.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post
    I will never trust paypal with anything I can't afford to lose and will never link them to a bank account.
    Wouldn't mind "linking" their collectively truant asses to a Nimitz-class anchor chain about to be set.

Bad-actor mass enuf damned chain might have to be abandoned before we lost the carrier. Could was it still gets the job done.

Back to basics. eBay collecting State sales tax.

The States worked together long and hard to get their "hooks" agreed and into Law.

eBay can no longer fight that. Nor any other on-liner.

JFDWT

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Dualkit;3473540... McMaster Carr is now charging me sales tax on shop supplies, they didn't used to do that. ...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that happened to me, too, just within the last year. McMaster will give you the option of not paying sales tax, without documentation.

I complained to them and offered to upload my exemption certificate (no response from them, unusual) and at the next order noticed a "tax exempt" checkbox on my online order form. Maybe it was there all along....