What's new
What's new

Navy Machinery Repairman

Watch out for these. Back when I was considering the reserves (1983) the manuals were full of dumb errors. Sent a bunch of edits to them, but have no idea if they were acted upon.

John

Have a copy of that, found a few errors. But the most interesting thing is that it is all marked restricted, despite the fact thet more and better information is available in any shop text.....Government at work.

I have both the MR 3&2 and the MR 1&C. Both dated 1970. Haven't found any glaring discrepancies. You have to remember that Navy MR's are machinery repaimen not machinists in the truest sense of the word any more that Machinist Mates and Aviation Machinist Mates are machinists as defined by most people on this forum. I was a VO Ed major in HS and did two years of an apprentiship befor I joined the Navy in 1958. I was an AD but did a lot of double duty as an MR and welder because I could and no one else was available.
14Tony ADCS USN Ret. 1958-1979

Thanks for those links guys, some of us need all the help we can get. :confused:

For those not computer savvy, if a URL ends in .pdf -right click on it & click 'save as'
The document will then save onto your PC.

To 14tony, MR's are true Navy machinist. They go to school to learn how to run all the equipment. that's all they learn. that is in "A" school. In "C" school they learn more about metalurgy and more advanced aspects of machining. I was a MR from 1975-1979. I don't pretend to know how things were done before my time and I was told that now the MR rating has been dropped and blended with the HT'S. I don't know this for sure. When I was in I served on the USS Vulcan from 1977-1979. I was a tender and had an extensive machine shop including a foundry.

Kelly

To 14tony, MR's are true Navy machinist. They go to school to learn how to run all the equipment. that's all they learn. that is in "A" school. In "C" school they learn more about metalurgy and more advanced aspects of machining. I was a MR from 1975-1979. I don't pretend to know how things were done before my time and I was told that now the MR rating has been dropped and blended with the HT'S. I don't know this for sure. When I was in I served on the USS Vulcan from 1977-1979. I was a tender and had an extensive machine shop including a foundry.

Kelly

Thank you Kelly. I'm currently an MR1 and can vouch for the scope of machining that MR's perform. Good to see another old tender guy! I served on the USS Frank Cable (AS-40) from 2007-2010; There's no foundries anymore but we started competing with the shipyard for depot level submarine repair work.

That pub is pretty good stuff. There are sometimes mistakes and it doesn't even begin to cover NC work. The basics are all laid out well for someone just learning though. I find that the gear section is worth a read.

Navy Machinery Repairman Professional Machinists in every sense of the word

I have both the MR 3&2 and the MR 1&C. Both dated 1970. Haven't found any glaring discrepancies. You have to remember that Navy MR's are machinery repaimen not machinists in the truest sense of the word any more that Machinist Mates and Aviation Machinist Mates are machinists as defined by most people on this forum. I was a VO Ed major in HS and did two years of an apprentiship befor I joined the Navy in 1958. I was an AD but did a lot of double duty as an MR and welder because I could and no one else was available.
14Tony ADCS USN Ret. 1958-1979

Your comment "Navy MR's are machinery repairmen not machinists in the truest sense" is absolutely and completely wrong and greatly offends me! Navy Machinery Repairman are EXACTLY Professional Machinists in every sense of the word. I am an ex MR1 (Machinery repairman first class) As such I attended Machinery Repairman "A" School and Machinery Repairman "C" school. I was trained to operate engine lathe, turret lathes, vertical turret lathes, multiple types of drill presses, milling machines, shapers, horizontal boring mills, surface grinders, cylindrical grinders, Rockwell hardness testers, precision balancing machines, Dalic Electroplating, and Metco Flamespray, to name a few. The Name of our rating "Machinery Repairman" comes from the fact that we use our skills to repair every type of machinery onboard all Navy Ships. I was stationed on 2 Tenders (Floating Repair Facilities), and Shore duty at S.I.M.A. which stands for Shore Intermediate Maintenance Activity. Both have large complete machine Shops that easily rival any facility in the world. I have 15 years experience in the Navy alone working as a professional Machinist. I challenge you or anyone else to tell me to my face that I am not a True Machinist!

Your comment "Navy MR's are machinery repairmen not machinists in the truest sense" is absolutely and completely wrong and greatly offends me! Navy Machinery Repairman are EXACTLY Professional Machinists in every sense of the word. I am an ex MR1 (Machinery repairman first class) As such I attended Machinery Repairman "A" School and Machinery Repairman "C" school. I was trained to operate engine lathe, turret lathes, vertical turret lathes, multiple types of drill presses, milling machines, shapers, horizontal boring mills, surface grinders, cylindrical grinders, Rockwell hardness testers, precision balancing machines, Dalic Electroplating, and Metco Flamespray, to name a few. The Name of our rating "Machinery Repairman" comes from the fact that we use our skills to repair every type of machinery onboard all Navy Ships. I was stationed on 2 Tenders (Floating Repair Facilities), and Shore duty at S.I.M.A. which stands for Shore Intermediate Maintenance Activity. Both have large complete machine Shops that easily rival any facility in the world. I have 15 years experience in the Navy alone working as a professional Machinist. I challenge you or anyone else to tell me to my face that I am not a True Machinist!

There is a rule here about resurrecting old threads.
Typically you would owe us all here a round of our favorite beverage, but since this thread is a decade old the infraction is much more severe.

I'll take a 4 pack of Yoohoo please!

Back