What's new
What's new

Van Norman Milling Machine Manuals, Catalogs and Price Lists

Brian,

Thanks for the manuals etc. My wife works in a laboratory across the street from the former Van Norman works. I often climb the hill overlooking Main Street and imagine what it must have looked like in their heyday. The buildings that are still standing are now all part of Baystate Medical Center. It's sad to think about the fate of all the machine tool manufacturers in this area that are now but a memory.

Hi Bob,

I just love VN mills. I've often thought it would be interesting and productive to put an ad in the local (Springfield) paper seeking to contact former VN employees in an attempt to recover old manuals, photos, reminiscences, etc. Since I live close to Gillette Stadium, however, the logistics have always stymied me.

Cheers,

Brian
Taxachusetts

Brian,

I'm 30 minutes north but I too always loved these machines. You want to solicit materials I'm sure I could arrange to gather them. I cut my machinist teeth on this baby many moons ago. I wish I had it today.
IMG_0023.jpg

Bob,

There is someone selling a fully tooled (collets, vise, even a coupled dividing head!!!!!) model 22 up in NH. Unfortunately, I can't remember where is saw the ad.

Brian
Taxachusetts

Have the following Van Norman materials. All in very nice condition. Will scan and post if it is legal for me to do so and there is enough interest.

Installation, Operation & Maintenance Instructions & Parts List for No's 22L & 22M Third printing 1950

22L & 22M brochure August 1949

No 38 Universal brochure April 1949

No 26 and 36 Ram type brochure October 1950

Table of Leads & Change Gears for Cutting Spirals on Van Norman Universal Milling Machines and Index Table for van Norman Dividing heads January 1949

22L & 22M brochure October 1950
The New No 16 brochure October 1950

No 2 Medium brochure January, 1950

No 3 Standard brochure July, 1950

Attachments, Cutters, Arbors & Accessories for Ram Type & Horizontal Mills Jan 1948

Attachments, Arbors & Accessories for Ram Type & Horizontal Mills March 1959

Installation, Operation & Maintenance Instructions & Parts List for No's 24L, 24M, 24LA, 24MA, 24MLA, and 24MH May 1957

24-M Brochure with 24MA revision October 1957

Installation, Operation & Maintenance Instructions & Parts List for No's 16L,16M & 16S after March 1947

Bob

Awesome Bob - I'm also interested in the VM16 stuff - specifically for the 16M. I'll keep an eye on machinist's web for when it makes it up.

Michael

I've uploaded the manual/parts lists for the 16M, L & S as well as brochures for the #2 and #3

Go to the link in the first post of this thread.

More to come ..........

Brian
Taxachusetts

van norman manuals

Brian,

I'm 30 minutes north but I too always loved these machines. You want to solicit materials I'm sure I could arrange to gather them. I cut my machinist teeth on this baby many moons ago. I wish I had it today.
IMG_0023.jpg

This is on a whim since this is a pretty old post , but I have just acquired a van norman #22 and it doesn't look like the one in any of the manuals except the attachments manual ,,,http://www.machinistweb.com/manuals/Attachments and Accessories for Van Norman Universal Millers.pdf

haven't seen any manuals for it listed on ebay or otherwise and could use some more info if anyone can help

We have a Van Norman 38 MA with a fair amount of tools, and all the manuals.

What do you think this would bring on the market if it were in fair shape.

Solidworks,

A 38 is certainly a nice machine and is very capable with 10hp on a 50 taper spindle. But it is basically a dinosaur. I could be wrong, but I can't see any serious machine shop allocating space for such a beast unless they had a very specific need for such a large mill that couldn't be better served by a small or mid-sized VMC. That's not to say that you couldn't find such a shop, but it's likely to take a while. The several that I've seen over the last few years end up going for scrap, and the shops end up losing money when the rigging out costs are factored in (unless they have their own forklifts, trucks, etc.). The one 38 that I know of that wasn't scrapped (it was up near Portland, ME) was given away to save the rigging costs.

OTOH, there's also a fairly robust interest in Van Normans from the hobbyist sector, but very few home shop types are capable of handling a 4 ton machine. I do know of one guy, in central Mass, that is seriously into larger VN's; if you PM me your contact info and some specifics: asking price, tooling, etc., I can give him a call and put the two of you in touch if he's interested.

If nothing else, I would love to borrow your manuals so that I could scan them and upload them to the VM.org website.

Brian
Taxachusetts

CWalker,

You're looking in the wrong place. I posted many more manuals on the VintageMachinery website.

Here is a link to the manual for the various models of the 22:

Van Norman Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Van Norman No. 22 Series Instruction Manual and Parts Lists | VintageMachinery.org

The Van Norman "folder" is here:

Van Norman Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints | VintageMachinery.org

Cheers,

Brian
Taxachusetts
thanks Brian,
I do appreciate the effort but i have in fact already found that manual and downloaded it and it is not the same as my machine I again refer to the picture of the #22 in the accessories manual as looking to be identical to the one i have http://www.machinistweb.com/manuals/Attachments and Accessories for Van Norman Universal Millers.pdf
if you will look at the picture you will notice that it is indeed quite different than a #22L or U or P
if anyone could tell me where i might find a manual preferably parts so i can see a breakdown I would be forever grateful
Also i would like to thank you Brian for the great effort you have taken to provide van norman owners with copies of manuals.
Thanks
Clint

Last edited:
Solidworks,

A 38 is certainly a nice machine and is very capable with 10hp on a 50 taper spindle. But it is basically a dinosaur. I could be wrong, but I can't see any serious machine shop allocating space for such a beast unless they had a very specific need for such a large mill that couldn't be better served by a small or mid-sized VMC. That's not to say that you couldn't find such a shop, but it's likely to take a while. The several that I've seen over the last few years end up going for scrap, and the shops end up losing money when the rigging out costs are factored in (unless they have their own forklifts, trucks, etc.). The one 38 that I know of that wasn't scrapped (it was up near Portland, ME) was given away to save the rigging costs.

OTOH, there's also a fairly robust interest in Van Normans from the hobbyist sector, but very few home shop types are capable of handling a 4 ton machine. I do know of one guy, in central Mass, that is seriously into larger VN's; if you PM me your contact info and some specifics: asking price, tooling, etc., I can give him a call and put the two of you in touch if he's interested.

If nothing else, I would love to borrow your manuals so that I could scan them and upload them to the VM.org website.

Brian
Taxachusetts

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the honest info, I kinda figured that there wouldn't be much interest for a machine of this size and age. We currently have an older part time machinist that uses a saw cutter to mill key ways in 40-60" shafts that we do. I tell ya this machine still hauls ass, and makes money with the right application.

Once we get rid of this beast will be in touch on this thread,

Dan

Back