What's new
What's new

Bench Lathe Identification

raselo

Plastic
Hello!
I am planning to buy this bench lathe.

Unfortunately, the seller does not know the make and model of this lathe but he says that it is made in Europe.

Anybody know what make and model this bench lathe is?

Cheers!
_1_.jpg

That's the super-high precision model with the planetary geared headstock.
Repeatability is in the tenths of an inch...
Put it in that press brake and see what happens.

What is he asking for it? I'm assuming this is your first lathe purchase. I wouldn't give any more than $300 for it. It is a bare bones model.

Cutting threads is something you may wish to do. Can it cut threads? Possible that chuck may run out and /or wobble. If so you may need to buy another chuck. Can't tell from here it may be a 4 jaw.
*Best to make a list of what you intend/wish to do, and then make a list of what it might cost to get the machine to that point.

Yes one can die cut threads in a pinch, but it is more fun to turn them

Good first thread title Welcome to PM

Perhaps a Dunlap Craftsman. An ok to poor hobby lathe that needs a gear set to cut threads
1949 6" x 12" Craftsman Model 80 - usually cataloged as the 109-21270

Perhaps a Dunlap Craftsman. An ok to poor hobby lathe that needs a gear set to cut threads

I agree it's a Dunlap/Craftsman, but I think he's being a bit generous with his rating. I'd say poor to very poor, unless you will be cutting mostly wood or other very soft materials,and working to wide open tolerances. I own one, it was my first lathe. It was given to me when I was a kid. As I've said here before, I learned a lot using that lathe, but the biggest lesson I learned was that I needed a better lathe.
If I were you I would pass on that machine, and, as others have stated, look for something that's better quality and more complete.

Thanks for the inputs. Now I know that it is not sound decision to purchase this lathe.

Thanks again. I appreciate it.

Cheers!

Back