What's new
What's new

BIG mills

j king

Stainless
Here are a couple of pics of two different types of mills
100_0276.jpg

100_0275.jpg

These were in two local machine shops.The gantry type is still there.Notice the table size.
Also check out the horizonal operator watching TV while he works.
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by j king (edited 04-27-2004).]

It's hard to comprehend a machine that large, even seeing a large machine in person makes my jaw drop. Galking?

Went through Ingersoll facility about five/six years ago in Rockford. Almost all of their machinery was of their own manufacture. One of the most impressive things was the oven for normallizing weldments for machinery. The weldments would be loaded onto a rail flat car to be wheeled into the oven. The cleaning booth next door was just as big

Used to set one up like that "out of the box"[read train cars].
Machine weighs[no tooling] 48 ton.
Worked it for a while as well.

I can remember the first "large" mill I saw up close. After running nothing larger than a #12 Van Norman mill in a maintenance shop, I got my first engineering job with an military aircraft manufacturer. One morning I walked in thru the "new" CNC shop, and saw the operator standing on the bed of a skin mill pushing off mountains of chips with a push broom. That thing was huge! I was later talking about the mill to a good friend who went to school with me. Turns out his older brother was the rigging forman responsible for installing the machine. I can't imagine trying to level that puppy!
Bob

I used to clean the coolant sumps on some big Ingersoll horizontal mills like those, I think they were 8" spindle. There was also an old lathe which has a bed of maybe 60 feet and a swing of 15 or so'.

Back