What's new
What's new

Early Motorcycle Manufacture - The Rover Imperial

That's great! The ending made me think of a good friend describing when he got his first Solex running at 15 (unbearably abusive home life)- FREEDOM!!!

Wow....THAT was Awesome.

I loved the Child Labor at @ 7:40 mark.

By the way....I learned a very cool trick while watching the casting. They have that rod there which they pull once the molten metal reaches the top of the sprue during the pour. I'm guessing that is a plug....Which then causes extra force of the molten metal flowing through the mold.

Very ingenious.

By the way....I learned a very cool trick while watching the casting. They have that rod there which they pull once the molten metal reaches the top of the sprue during the pour. I'm guessing that is a plug....Which then causes extra force of the molten metal flowing through the mold.

Very ingenious.

I believe the plug is there to prevent any chance of slag getting into the mould. The iron would fill the sprue and the slag would float on top and when the plug is pulled, only iron would flow in.

You are most likely correct. I forgot about the slag.
And yet....I do think that the added benefit would be added force of the molten steel will help improve the flow around the finer parts of the mold such as the fins...etc.
Similar to the way centrifugal casting applies added force to the molten metal. In any case of the total benefits, I think the plug is just a simple design for a casting which more than likely assures a quality finished product.

The rod is to stop any iron flowing into the riser or vent untill the mold is nearly full,making a sound casting without any cold shuts......Its an old post ,but a goodie.....the net does have some uses...there is so much stuff on utube just disappears.

Back