Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gmach10 View Post
    Thermite, I'm surprised you knew the Tootsie Roll plant end. I live about 4 miles from the old plant. The concrete test cells still stand. Impressive sight. Just north and west of the plant is a neighborhood called Chrysler Village, town/row houses that were built for the workers. My Dad worked for Ford Aircraft at that location after Ford took it over in their gear department. To give you an idea how big this place was he told me many times that he remembers working on a machine and a cement would pass him in the aisle. Now the location is called Ford City, yep it's a mall. 7401 South Cicero was the Chrysler plant but on the south side of the city airports were plentiful. About 8-10 years ago there was an explosion on the east side of Cicero Ave. Come to find out it was a gas leak in a tunnel that terminated at an airport that was located 10 blocks south of the old plant at 84th and Cicero now long gone. If you google the location of the plant it's about 11 blocks south of Midway Airport with a rail yard between them. I've always and many others believe there is a tunnel from the old plant to Midway. Can't confirm it though. We figured if they developed a new engine they would be able to get to the airport mount it on a plane and try it under real circumstances away from prying eyes. I knew some contractors who were working in the old plant and went into the basement. Said they took flash lights and went exploring. Said they came across a large kitchen with hanging utensils pots pans etc. Said it looked like someone just turned off the lights at the end of the day and went home. Chicago was alive during the war. There was a boat yard on the north branch called (I know I'm going to screw up the spelling) called Greibes. Now that's all condos. The made wooden mine sweeps. Just south of me is what was called "The Clearing Industrial Corridor." In the stone work of the older buildings you can see the logo. Never figured how to post pictures if I knew I'd post an image of this. This area goes from Harlem 7200 west to Cicero 4800 west. 8 blocks to the mile, do the math it was a big area. Cracker Jack used to have a plant in the area too. Can anyone guess what's there now? If you guessed hotels you guessed right. I wish I could go back in time to the war era and see what Chicago was like.
    I go back only to 1967 with Chicago. But "history"? It surely does have some oddities. You know about the coal tunnel rail system?

I once had to put a 5,800 lbs or 6,000 lbs Avoir TRTL-30 safe into my then-employer's "new" store sometime around 1980. They had leased a great location on the loop. Marquette building. It HAD been a true landmark of modern construction, but a very long time prior. I insisted that the project manager get signed-offs from a RPE structural engineer and an RPE Architect with city approvals that the site could support that safe.

I had the fool thing already positioned with J Lang, well-regarded riggers of safes and they and I were 100% on-side that the heavy bugger was going NOWHERE until we had clearances.

Well. 3 days 'til Grand Opening, the heavy-handed fool thinks he is going to make me cave over a possible missed deadline. Ever try to threaten a veteran Combat Engineer? WTH did he think he was going to Do to me? "Send me to viet naaaaamm?" Had that Tee shirt!

Told him get the papers, stop telling me "No problem" twice every week.

So he does. Architect and RPE go out and look at the site, look at each other, one says:

"Mr. Hurd? You are correct. If Lang manage to get that safe in here and upright it, it will immediately drop directly through the f*****g floor! No problem!'

We had to take a lease on the carpark slot directly UNDER it, grout in a thick steel plate the size of the whole stall, and weld an I-beam up to another, smaller, plate under the safe! All per RPE design and structural RPE and Chicago sign-off. Extra alarm systems too. No. Don't even THINK about it!

"No problem" is how I have remembered Chicago, ever since! Mainly because - with ONE exception - it was ALWAYS a "problem" of one kind or another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    I go back only to 1967 with Chicago. But "history"? It surely does have some oddities. You know about the coal tunnel rail system?

I once had to put a 5,800 lbs or 6,000 lbs Avoir TRTL-30 safe into my then-employer's "new" store sometime around 1980. They had leased a great location on the loop. Marquette building. It HAD been a true landmark of modern construction, but a very long time prior. I insisted that the project manager get signed-offs from a RPE structural engineer and an RPE Architect with city approvals that the site could support that safe.

I had the fool thing already positioned with J Lang, well-regarded riggers of safes and they and I were 100% on-side that the heavy bugger was going NOWHERE until we had clearances.

Well. 3 days 'til Grand Opening, the heavy-handed fool thinks he is going to make me cave over a possible missed deadline. Ever try to threaten a veteran Combat Engineer? WTH did he think he was going to Do to me? "Send me to viet naaaaamm?" Had that Tee shirt!

Told him get the papers, stop telling me "No problem" twice every week.

So he does. Architect and RPE go out and look at the site, look at each other, one says:

"Mr. Hurd? You are correct. If Lang manage to get that safe in here and upright it, it will immediately drop directly through the f*****g floor! No problem!'

We had to take a lease on the carpark slot directly UNDER it, grout in a thick steel plate the size of the whole stall, and weld an I-beam up to another, smaller, plate under the safe! All per RPE design and structural RPE and Chicago sign-off. Extra alarm systems too. No. Don't even THINK about it!

"No problem" is how I have remembered Chicago, ever since! Mainly because - with ONE exception - it was ALWAYS a "problem" of one kind or another.
    I've always said Chicago has the best politicians money can buy!