What's new
What's new

Film about large scale Forging of special steels at Firth Rixson in Sheffield.

Very nice, thanks for the link. I played the video on a computer that has a pretty good speaker system added, it's worth it to get the full impact of the noise and background music (which fits the film well and doesn't intrude). Really liked the way the camera jumped with each hammer blow, it's like you're standing next to the forge...

I thought it was an exceptionally good video and offered many insights into that type of metal forming.
I guess I will have to get a Vimeo account to see if there are others in the Steel Stories series.

Fantastic video! I worked in a pipe mill once that makes spun ductile iron pipe. I love seeing how metal is manipulated in it's raw state.

Lynchburg Foundry? (if it still exists). I went to VES 1953-1957 and that company was in business then. Reusens was off limits to us but we climbed down the hill to buy Moon Pie and RC Cola in the little country store beside the railroad tracks; maybe the James River was nearby. LL

Interesting video. I also watched the scissor one, and thought these scissors have to be expensive.

I Googled the scissor firm, and yes, they are high end price wise.

Another fine find, John!

A couple of questions about the hammers. What is the general name (if there is one) for the larger black double-acting (lift&drop) hammer?

And how is the smaller blue hammer operated? The operator's body language was almost like a kick-press operator's, but with his right hand. At first I thought he was just releasing a clutch, but several times they showed that press doing a very light, slow tap on the work (like when they used the lot/heat/date stamp on the edge of the ring).

Somewhere there is a video, YouTube or Vimeo, made a decade or more ago, of a team hand forging a large hook for a crane cable from raw bar stock. I think no power hammers were used
In many ways it was as amazing as the Firth Rixon video. The link may have been in a PM post, possibly in this subforum. Well worth watching if you can find it. There is another recent one of a team of Russian fabricators forming a large hot workpiece on a gigantic platen with pins at the bend points. Impressive.

The video was one of the most beautiful impressions of metalworking I had stumbled upon in a long time. So, thanks LFLondon, first of all.
Sadly, it's been taken down by the uploader, who explained in a comment (shortly before taking the video down) that the forge wanted to check something. I sincerely hope he'll re-upload the video, it was a work of art.
Some interesting material regarding free form pre-forging and die forging can be found here:

Urs Flükiger - YouTube

The video was one of the most beautiful impressions of metalworking I had stumbled upon in a long time. So, thanks LFLondon, first of all.
Sadly, it's been taken down by the uploader, who explained in a comment (shortly before taking the video down) that the forge wanted to check something. I sincerely hope he'll re-upload the video, it was a work of art.
Some interesting material regarding free form pre-forging and die forging can be found here:

Urs Flükiger - YouTube

Unusually fine videos with the old school look; high industrial art, great lighting and color. Those craftsmen are wasting no time. They work those machines like they were toys. They did not appear to be wearing gloves. These are a great look into on the job industrial forging and real teamwork.

In this one notice the entire hammer bouncing, starting around 40 seconds in:
Neue -weichere - Direktabfederung beim LASCO HO-U 1250
Neue -weichere - Direktabfederung beim LASCO HO-U 1250 - YouTube

You will enjoy this one, hot roll forming, high video quality:
Querkeilwalzen einer Kurbelwellenvorform / Cross wedge rolling of a crankshaft preform - YouTube
Querkeilwalzen einer Kurbelwellenvorform / Cross wedge rolling of a crankshaft preform

This and many more from this URL; PM blacksmiths will feel at home in this video; restoring jackhammer tooling, garden tool production.
Schmiede in Rehling
http://youtu.be/D-93S3afAqI

There is a large factory in Austria that was at one time in full production of scythe blades used with traditional lightweight wooden snaths, the Austrian Scythe System. First class tools for hay and grain harvesting and weed cutting. It is a large factory with many power hammers and skilled craftsmen. The diverse array of blades produced is incredible, short, long, lightweight, brush cutting, mowing, grain harvest, ditch weeding; an indispensible farm tool.

Large part forging and machining:
Germany forging technology
http://youtu.be/mnCKGI7Fnm8

"BARRY CAN'T 'ARF WELD", online at YouTube in Storying Sheffield channel.

[/url]

There seem to be several locations online besides Vimeo to watch this video.
This is probably the best:

"BARRY CAN'T 'ARF WELD"
BARRY CAN'T 'ARF WELD - YouTube
Published on Jun 20, 2014
Film by Shaun Bloodworth (Shaun Bloodworth Photographer)
For Storying Sheffield (Storying Sheffield | A cloth woven of stories told)

also:

"THE PUTTER"
scissors making
THE PUTTER - YouTube

"STAVE final cut"
knife making
from shaun bloodworth
http://vimeo.com/60787572

"the machine shop"
from Marc Reed
an exploration of a NJ machine shop whose years of operation were 1851-2007
http://vimeo.com/37810410