What's new
What's new

Indexing head identification

petemachinist

Plastic
Just got my hands on this indexing head and see no markings of who the manufacturer was.
Tried searching yahoo and google images to no avail.
The unique part to it is that the indexing plate is actually recessed into the main housing.
I'm hoping somebody has stumbled across one over the years and can help to identify it.
Thanks
Peter

$_59 (1).JPG
$_59 (2).JPG
$_59 (3).JPG
$_59.JPG

It has some resemblance to the Cincinnati heads, and a little bit of the Walter look, but different.

Really just a bump to put your post back in rotation, but it is in the wrong forum too.. it should be in general, I think?

Good Bump as I missed this earlier.
Here is one that had a few problems and it is about ready for assembly. Got rid of the green paint but the first coat needs to redone.
Waiting for Summer heat to repaint. :)
This dividing head looks to be from the same manufacturer with some differences.
'Left hand' setup it will swing 10" and can be driven from the table feed.
The threads and diameters are nominal metric sizes. Spindle nose is 46mm x 3mm and the taper accepts a #4 Morse.
The dowel pins that locate the aluminum housing to the main body were bent. Replaced them with hardened tapped pins.
Unknown or TOS 1.jpg
The fine setting worm engages with a worm cut into the outboard trunion. The knob was missing so the I.D. was drilled and tapped for a larger knob to be added later. The worm adjusting plate is missing the holes for a face spanner so fine adjustment is difficult and they will be added at assembly.
Fine Adjustment.jpg
European provenance maybe, but the finish of some elements seemed subpar.

These photos were posted on PM some time ago and it was identified as a TOS unit. There are similar features.
The trunion is clamped the same way as a Cincinnati.
2-Ãœbersicht_nummeriert.jpg3-Ãœbersicht_2_beschriftet.jpg4-Ãœbersicht_3_beschriftet.jpg
John

Ha! I might have seen that, and forgotten, or there is some other tell, because I was G imaging TOS heads, didn't stick with it long enough to find that tho, good one! are you going with that red? :eek:

Hey, no red for me. Recoat will be dk-blue gray to match other machine accessories and the machines are a slightly lighter blue-gray.
After the trunion and other bare steel parts clean up they will be coated with poly or a spar varnish to keep the shine and stop the rust.
John

Hi all,

Been a member on this forum for a while but this will be my first post.

After searching the net to identify an indexing/dividing head, I found this post. I have the same dividing head as the OP and after a fairly extensive search I could not find anything similar except in this thread.

The only difference I can see between mine and the OP is that my handwheel has the provision for some fine angular adjustment even with the locating pin engaged in a hole in the plate.

Two allen key set screws can adjust the angular position by a small amount. I assume this is to allow fine adjustment for when setting up a job once it's already held in the chuck and machining needs to be performed relative to some spot on the workpiece.

The only identifing features are a seven digit number that is stamped on all mating pieces and the letters "DUM" and the number 135 underneath. The letters "DUM" could have been stamped by anyone, who would know!

It's certainly made very heavy but it seems to lack the refinements of a swiss-made piece of work. Also the bolts are all imperial suggesting maybe British?

It was fitted with a Burnered Pratt chuck.

Cheers,

Simon
2e81e6ead5103fb61e467e4924de7fb4.jpg
12c711bc4dd55026c93b2be6a2ac6605.jpg
71b7c6e56fae764d8e14b38a0d62b85b.jpg
9ad782fc01aff517ed24ced7108de246.jpg
2a117c14647f7681e5bf633b043b7266.jpg
0db42c5d0e56908080f642194d9e96f4.jpg

Back