What's new

Ingersoll Rand

spearman4000

Plastic
Does anyone know what this is?

I was on a job today and saw it.
75d3eb54701f094fd35c9c0a9830b62f.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Looks like it could have been either generator or central motor.

Large pulley on each side lean to possible line shaft connection and what looks like motor connected to it may have been add on.

Look for pathways for belts from those pulleys.

Was this old factory?

Old elevator motors look same, is this in foo of building?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Looks like an air compressor to me.
Standard synchronous motor too.

No lagging, so probably not a refrigeration compressor.

It is in the basement of a factory, I would say air compressor for tooling would make the most sense.
d2bcee5fd4a8dac06bd5c0086f42cd35.jpg
4db0ce01e595878f725d3e9d686584bf.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I asked my IR salesmen what it was and he said:
It appears to be an old water cooled reciprocating compressor. Horizontally opposed dual-acting. Cone Denim (Greensboro, NC) had some similar to this in the basement of the White Oak plant that dated to the late 1800’s

Ingersoll Rand air compressor. Cylinders are double-acting, hence the resemblance to a steam engine. The motor is a synchronous AC motor. The pulley on the crankshaft adjacent to the motor is for driving a DC exciter, which is sitting on the floor between the left and right sides of the compressor. I doubt this compressor dates to the late 1800's. The 'teens to the 'twenties would be more likely. Chances are this compressor was made in the I-R works at Painted Post, NY.

Getting the synchronous motor started would require a separate source of direct current to excite (magnetize) the motor's field (the rotor or rotating part of the motor). There might have been a separate motor-generator set to provide startup excitation current for the compressor motor. Once it was running, the belt-driven exciter was paralleled with the M-G unit, and the M-G unit was then switched off the line.

It would not surprise me to learn the compressor is an I-R "Imperial type 10" unit.

Just a old IR air compressor 240 rpm, twin piston, I would guess 125 hp. I scraped a few of them. There is a lot of copper in the motor and 500lbs of brass in the heat exchanger.If you look there is no frame just cement, that's why most were scraped. Should be a mg set to excite the rotor of the motor....Phil

Back