What's new
What's new

Klein Bottle

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
There are structures which a seven axis Hitachi turning center cannot shape. But a skilled artisan using a glass lathe can accomplish.
One of these is the Klein Bottle. Described by mathematician Felix Klein in 1882, this construct is termed
non-orientable. Fourth dimension non-euclidean geometry is needed to define it's nature.

The Kingbridge Centre of Toronto has as it's logo a Klein Bottle. They commissioned glass blower Bob Maiden of SoCal to build. He used his one meter glass lathe and innovative team to pull off.

here is the result:

Acme Klein Bottle

jh

Technically, that's a three-dimensional projection of a Klein bottle. :) But it's very impressive, and none of us will ever see a complete Klein bottle with our naked eyes.

The largest glass Klein-ish bottle I've seen previously is only about 20% that length, so less than 10% of the mass and volume of that one.

I worked with a guy, who worked in that shop. He told me he built the large ribbon burner that they used to bend the large tubing for the neck. I have made a few small klein bottles, but this is impressive!

Back