What's new
What's new

Lagun 13x40 Turnmaster Data

Zach201

Plastic
Hello, I am posting a new thread with a better title, hoping to get some help. I bought a used 13x40 Turnmaster, and all of the information for spindle speeds, feedrates, and thread pitches is worn off of the plate on the headstock. Republic Lagun quoted $178 for a replacement plate. I would much appreciate a high resolution picture of this, if anyone has one of these lathes. I have attatched pictures of mine, also a picture I pulled from the internet, but can't see clearly when zoomed in. 20200109111232114_L.jpgLagun 13x40.jpg

Rule 1 for old/used machine tools !! If the needed part is available thank your lucky stars and pony up! Don't be cheap pay the price and make that lathe look like a million bucks !
PS nice looking lathe.

I wanted to give an update. Intending to take John's advice, I reviewed the quote from Lagun again and noticed that in the description it read, "Headstock plate, two holes". My headstock plate with the information has 3 holes. So, I emailed to make sure that the part they had quoted was the proper one, and lo and behold, the oh-so-kind rep emailed me back a photo of the quoted plate. It was mine, three holes, and high enough quality for me to see all of the information I need. So between my metalworking abilities and my wife's Cricut, I think I'll save myself some $ for now, and get a good-looking headstock. And for future seekers of the same info, I tried to upload a picture, but it didn't look as good once posted. PM me and I can email the photo or something.

Attachments

• Good Headstock Plate.jpg
    Good Headstock Plate.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 95
well, I wouldn't say that was ever a good looking headstock.. :)

can't help feeling like you are admitting here you are a cheapskate and, well kinda being a bit slimy.. tell the seller you will gladly pay 2/3rds of the ask under the current circumstances might be the decent thing to do before just ripping them off..

but I don't know your situation, so not passing judgment!

can't help feeling like you are admitting here you are a cheapskate and, well kinda being a bit slimy.. tell the seller you will gladly pay 2/3rds of the ask under the current circumstances might be the decent thing to do before just ripping them off..

Congratulations on the not passing judgement without knowing my situation. Cheapskate? "The Seller", happens to be Republic Lagun, who wants to charge me 180 bucks for a (notice the picture) USED plate. Even if they knocked a third off the price, I would still feel like the one ripped off on that deal. Also, I did not ask for a picture of the part, which I agree would have been slimy. I asked them to confirm that they had quoted me the right part, and was sent the picture. They volunteered it, their loss.

I feel so sorry for all the folks out there who have ever made themselves a replacement part for their own machine. Bunch of slimy cheapskates.

Congratulations on the not passing judgement without knowing my situation. Cheapskate? "The Seller", happens to be Republic Lagun, who wants to charge me 180 bucks for a (notice the picture) USED plate. Even if they knocked a third off the price, I would still feel like the one ripped off on that deal. Also, I did not ask for a picture of the part, which I agree would have been slimy. I asked them to confirm that they had quoted me the right part, and was sent the picture. They volunteered it, their loss.

I feel so sorry for all the folks out there who have ever made themselves a replacement part for their own machine. Bunch of slimy cheapskates.

HaHa! ok, so I I didn't realize the pic was a used plate they were trying to sell you. apologize for the remark, cheers.

I feel like Lagun are the ones being slimy by making a plate so cheaply it's guaranteed to require replacement. Never a problem on old machines with deeply cast brass plates.

Doubt you will find many brass plates anymore. They were made by applying a resist and dipping them in an acid tank. usually in a wood rack by the dozens. The fuming coming off the rack as they were pulled out of the tank was something to see and smell.
I lasted about a week in the etching dept before deciding my lungs were not expendable.

Back