What's new
What's new

Portable Generator

I want to buy a portable generator for my garage, i have 3 welding machines and other heavy machinery there, which generator should be best for this purpose?

No one can answer such a vague and incomplete query. You have to state your maximum load, its running environment, desired fuel type and expected run time. However, from your very vague description, I suspect no PORTABLE generator will be adequate.

No one can answer such a vague and incomplete query. You have to state your maximum load, its running environment, desired fuel type and expected run time. However, from your very vague description, I suspect no PORTABLE generator will be adequate.

Semantics? Megawatt units in trailers are "portable" if one has a K-Wopper or Peterbilt tractor to "port" them.

Does sound as if the practical minimum, even ONE welder, if expected to be stable, is a ten KVA "continuous" rating.

I get by with an MEP-803A, 4-cyl Lister-Petter motored liquid-cooled Diesel @ 1800 RPM. MIL_SPEC units being generally long-lived and very, very conservatively rated.

A Harbour Freight 3600 RPM air-cooled gasoline or LPG engined unit might get you by "for a while", but many years LESS of a "while", and with far lower stability under changing load.

Gen sets built WITH welders, BY the welder-makers are a special case. Lower KVA needed as they were tuned to the specific load. Do not ass u me that a HF or similar of same-nameplate rating is "equal".

2CW

Back