What's new
What's new

River Rouge Plant

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
In 1927 photographer/artist Charles Sheeler was given the commission of his professional life--
6 weeks photographing the newly opened Ford River Rouge plant. 1100 acres and 16,000 machine tools

Sheeler was instructed by the ad agency to include "only buildings and machinery" --
if possible, no workers. Sheeler knew better-- industrial scale is understood when workers are in the picture.
And the message conveyed by the pressman whose spine is permanently radiused from decades of labor
over a stamping machine.

the original photographic set Sheeler handed to Edsel Ford, FoMoCo president, has been lost

these images have been referenced a number of times in PM forum

here is a look at some of what survives

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7cyufMFCvXSRnNGaEgwekFTSW8/edit

jh

And the message conveyed by the pressman whose spine is permanently radiused from decades of labor
over a stamping machine. jh

jh. Thanks, nice old photos. The "pressman" is a good one, but did you notice he seems to be holding a flexible shaft-driven tool, possibly a grindstone? He may be a tool and die man doing a little 'easing'. I suppose they may have given the press operator a grinder to do a second operation (remove a little burr on each part) but I reckon he would be too busy for that?

ps I too am glad he included a few workers, they usually add a lot more interest.

I would like to have all those photos framed on a wall.
gettyimages-514699596-594x594.jpgThis is an old photo of the tool and die room.
it doesn't compare in quality of J. Hollands pics but I was impressed by its size. It may have been the largest toolroom ever. I believe 1940's era.

Back