Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Great thread Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldiver View Post
    P.S. Almost forgot, here's a link the HOLLAND association, were trying to get her saved as a museum/memorial.....

USS Holland AS-32 Association
    Wish it didn't even need to be an issue, saving some of the past.
    m1m

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goldiver View Post
    Hesstool;….Don’t know where in relation the IOWA is in relation to HOLLAND, in fact, I couldn’t even discern which of the ships in the pic is the HOLLLAND…..Just not enough in view to distinguish which is which…..Question, is the IOWA here in CA, I thought it was in Bremmerton, WA?....

Jim
    As far as I know the Iowa is still in Suisun Bay. I found a website that lists all the ships and where they're located in the fleet. Looks like the Holland (row K) is a couple rows away from the Iowa (row G). KAWISHIWI AO-146 Personnel Map

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks Hesstool!

I didn't know this map/plot existed.....Now I'm tempted to take a drive just to see the HOLLAND and IOWA.....

Wonder if I could sneak aboard to see if I left anything in my locker? [(:-)

Jim

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default AS 34 Sub Tender

Blue print layout of the machine shop on the AS-34, USS Canopus, which I was stationed on from 1-66 to 11-67. It is in the UK right now being scrapped.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machine-shop.jpg   machine-shop-copy.jpg   machine-shop-copy-2-.jpg   machine-shop-copy-2-copy.jpg   machine-shop-copy-3-copy.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Two photos came out too small to read

Here are the two photos that came out too small to see or read in my previous post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails machine-shop-copy-2-.jpg   machine-shop-copy-2-copy.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent the better part of two years on a Destroyer Tender. The USS Samual Gompers, AD37. I was a torpedoman involved with a weapon which was launched from destroyers by tube, rocket, droped by air (helicopter, plane) or shot from subs. The Gompers is a mobil factory. It was able to rebuild anything up to and maybe even a ship itself. I had little contact with subs, but did deliver weapons to a subtender once.
    The ship had the ability to replace naval guns, resupply ammo for them. Fix and replace the sighting gear for the turrets. With the help of a dry dock, repairs to a hull or screw (propeller). There was a nuclear weapons division where repair and testing of those weapons are done. My division was mostly concerned with conventional weapons. They were stored, repaired, tested and delivered to the destroyers. We had radar, sonar, electrical equipment, machine shop, foundry facilities. We even had a diving division for underwater work. They removed some limpet mines from our own hull while in Da Nang bay. Our holds were big enough to drive around in! The Gompers was one of the first Destroyer tenders built from the keel up as a tender, the earlier ones being converted from other ships. At least that's the story I always heard.
    The thing which will stay with me most, is seeing the way people in other countries live. I was assigned to Shore Patrol for a while and saw how their laws worked and the treatment received from their police. There was little concern for human rights or even just 'kind' treatment when an incident occured.
    The experiance I have from my deployment has given me a greater appreciation for what we have in the US. And I see the degradation of our freedom and straying from the Constitution and the founding principles in a clearer view than if I had not had the experiance. This is why I sometimes will have some thing to spew when I see a comment about politics or needing a new law to restrict somebodies whatever.
    I'll stop here 'cause I see a new soapbox coming.

7. Likes Ox, c.n.c.m.a.n liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iwas on both the Simon Lake and the Orion, boy that was an old tub!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sub tender pics

Hi again Y'all;

Been over 3 years since the start of this thread about submarine tender USS HOLLAND AS-32, now the curtain comes down.....Just got emailed today that the HOLLAND is one its way to Texas for scrapping.....Don't know the disposition of the machine tools we saw in the original pics, but I'm sure someone somewhere is doing their best to acquire them.....

Don't know the people who took the pics and put the slide shows together but they did a great job.....Take the time to go through everything presented, it's very informative and even entertaining, is a sad sort of way.....Kinda seems overkill to drydock the ship for cleaning when it's heading for the cutting torches.....Like straightening up your crib before the cleaning lady comes, so as not to embarrass yourself.....Probably getting rid of any last stray bad stuff.....

USS Holland AS-32

Jim
    Last edited by goldiver; 07-26-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: add material

10. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I served on the Holland 74-75
    Transferred to it in Charleston just in time for it to go to the shipyards in Bremerton. I was an MR3.